WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Appalachian Trail Kick-Off Schedule?

AWOL says the ATKO is March 4-6, but the website doesn't look like it's been updated. Has anyone heard any news on this?

Images

No.All the real hikers avoid Springer Mtn. in March like the plague.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

There is an ATKO Facebook page. Ask on there.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    No.All the real hikers avoid Springer Mtn. in March like the plague.
    I'm starting my hike in two weeks to avoid the bubble, however I am curious... could you please pontificate to the lowly masses as to what a "real hiker" is?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatgas View Post
    I'm starting my hike in two weeks to avoid the bubble, however I am curious... could you please pontificate to the lowly masses as to what a "real hiker" is?
    A "real hiker" never heads out with anything more than 5lb fully loaded pack. Never covers less than 25 miles a day. And can talk to the animals. They never gets lost, always cowboy camps, and never filters his/her water. Oh and a they leave Georgia in June and make it to Maine by July 3erd. Everyone knows that!

Real hikers carry their turds out in a ziplock bag. Real hikers don't use trekking poles.....

Images

I guess I'd better make some popcorn with my coffee.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Don't forget that "real hikers" are the only creature that follow LNT. Why? Because they hover 1/2 an inch over the trail so that they don't even leave footprints. Majestic creatures they are. I have been hunting them for years but have yet to see one on the trail. Good thing you can find them on the interweb.

Journal Entries

The bubble is everything that the trail, and hiking, should not be like.

Shame on anyone or any organization for promoting things that encourage it. But, the ATKO website appears to show the information desired...................

http://www.atko.info/Home_Page.html
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-07-2016 at 14:14.

Real hikers don't wear tie dye and don't carry any sort of musical instrument

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.hiker63.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker6301 View Post
    Real hikers don't wear tie dye
    I plan to change all that soon...now that Rit has come out with DyeMore for synthetics.

Should I set up a booth at the Kick-Off?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Hey, late to the thread here. I was wondering if there is a way to camp for the kick-off that doesn't break the bank? I called the lodge today and the lady said it was $40 a night to primitive camp in Amicalola Falls. idk, but down in the Florida State Parks it is only $5 a night....why the 800% increase? I wanted to be there Friday night and check out everything and soak up as much as I can before departing for the Approach Trail on Sunday morning.

is there a way to stealth camp just outside the gates? Any suggestions from anyone that has been to an ATKO would be appreciated.

The other thing is that I'm going to try and fly up to Atlanta from Tampa that Friday morning. Apparently it is only $36 to fly up there from Tampa which puts Greyhound and Amtrak out to pasture. I was going to ride MARTA up to North Springs, the northern terminus on GA-400 that afternoon. Is there anyone else going up that day that I could spot some gas money?

Anyways I'm excited to get to meet a lot of you guys out there. I had my mouth wired shut post surgury last spring for 3 months, and I've had braces for 2 years. They are coming off March 2nd, so to say I am pretty excited to get up there would be quite the understatement! Roll Tide!

I'm hoping to be up there. Not thru-hiking but it would be cool to be at the event. I live in GA and only 50 minutes from Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethern View Post
    A "real hiker" never heads out with anything more than 5lb fully loaded pack. Never covers less than 25 miles a day. And can talk to the animals. They never gets lost, always cowboy camps, and never filters his/her water. Oh and a they leave Georgia in June and make it to Maine by July 3erd. Everyone knows that!

Sounds like Jurek?

Got to be Vegan all Organic too. ooom ooom ooom ooom. May Joe Pesce I mean peace be with you oh wee grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    Hey, late to the thread here. I was wondering if there is a way to camp for the kick-off that doesn't break the bank? I called the lodge today and the lady said it was $40 a night to primitive camp in Amicalola Falls. idk, but down in the Florida State Parks it is only $5 a night....why the 800% increase? I wanted to be there Friday night and check out everything and soak up as much as I can before departing for the Approach Trail on Sunday morning.

is there a way to stealth camp just outside the gates? Any suggestions from anyone that has been to an ATKO would be appreciated.

The other thing is that I'm going to try and fly up to Atlanta from Tampa that Friday morning. Apparently it is only $36 to fly up there from Tampa which puts Greyhound and Amtrak out to pasture. I was going to ride MARTA up to North Springs, the northern terminus on GA-400 that afternoon. Is there anyone else going up that day that I could spot some gas money?

Anyways I'm excited to get to meet a lot of you guys out there. I had my mouth wired shut post surgury last spring for 3 months, and I've had braces for 2 years. They are coming off March 2nd, so to say I am pretty excited to get up there would be quite the understatement! Roll Tide!
    If I remember correctly, there's a shelter just behind the visitors center at the base of the falls. Wouldn't be very conveniently located to the lodge though.

And the answer to your $40/night question is: because they can, and people will pay it.

I have a campsite reserved for the ATKO and plan on bring one of my family sized tents if anyone needs a place to crash, or if someone wants to chip in on the cost of the campsite, we can have 2 tents set up there with a max of 6 people.
    I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I wouldn't pretend to speak for true hikers, or false hikers either, but I do kind of cringe at the idea of such a large number of people starting the trail all on the same day or two. If you are attempting a thru this year, please treat the trail well, or even better, consider the flip-flop to reduce the stress on the system.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

I'm not actually starting my hike until April 20. Just going for the event to get away from Mississippi for the weekend.
    I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Necco View Post
    AWOL says the ATKO is March 4-6, but the website doesn't look like it's been updated. Has anyone heard any news on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ... the ATKO website appears to show the information desired...................

http://www.atko.info/Home_Page.html
    Back to the OP's inquiry...

The website link from Muddy Waters still doesn't have the current schedule or even a draft schedule. I don't know if anything's happening or not.

I've been very frustrated trying to reach someone involved with the ATKO because I wanted to get on the agenda. I've left 3 phone messages and one Facebook message with the coordinator. The assistant coordinator answered the phone but blew me off, saying only the coordinator could answer - he (the assistant) couldn't reach her either.

I've never seen a hiker event where those in charge are so unresponsive. Anyone know what's going on?

Alright good news. Apparently it is only $5 a night to camp out at tent city. There is a shelter up the trail a bit that is free for thru-hikers but it is only limited to 8 people. If you are going, you should call 706-265-4703 and make a reservation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++