WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    It is if you're a skier

I am a skier, that's why earlier I wrote this is the first time Ive ever wished for lack of snow. I am currently wishing for epic snowfall in MT and average snowfall in CO. !

If only someone would grant my weather wishes...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    My 2016 CT hike might be evaporating in front of my eyes. 3 of my nieces and nephews have decided to get married this summer, at the worst times. July23, Aug.27 and Sept 17.

My options look to be finish before July 23 or squeeze it in between july23 and aug 27.

I would prefer earlier if possible, so naturally I am wondering how the snowpack is looking now, knowing full well that the conditions on Feb 6 have little to do with when the trail will be passable.

Just looking for hope I guess!
    Skip the weddings or one of them.
    Give them extra money , they will appreciate it and forgive you
    Weddings are hectic days for brides and grooms, they dont have time to visit with everyone anyway, and you can watch the video.

My niece got married in Hawaii, without anyone invited and had a party when they got back. It pissed off their parents at first, but It worked out. Her other uncle took a bunch of their wedding pictures and hawaii pictures photo shopped himself into them with them, and did a presentation at the get together... it was hilarious.

OR..just time it to take a several day break in the middle, or talk them into getting married in Salida , Co..

You can take bus from Salida to Denver, fly out, and be back 2 days later. Or, you can fly out of Gunnison as well, just more limited.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-22-2016 at 20:42.

I am a skier, that's why earlier I wrote this is the first time Ive ever wished for lack of snow. I am currently wishing for epic snowfall in MT and average snowfall in CO. !

If only someone would grant my weather wishes...
    The last time we were under a strong El Nino, Colorado's snowpack was 150% of normal almost everywhere.

I remember a couple of thigh deep powder days at Mary Jane.

That's not a very nice thing to say!
    Surely it is not a secret.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

It is if you're a skier
    Breckenridge got about 7-8", maybe a little more falling this morning, but in any case, not a big dump by any means. The snowfall at Breck is probably your best indicator as it's the closest place to where snow will affect you CT attempt; As the crow flies, Breckenridge is very close to Georgia pass, your first snow "hurdle". I'm still very optimistic about a successful mid-June start. June/early July is so superior to late July-August in terms of weather stats. It will be worth a little bit of snow travel hassle.

Off for a half day in fresh powder..........

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

Off for a half day in fresh powder..........
    Lucky you, I am so jealous!

Okay, enough of the snow already. Make it stop!

Living in the land of a gazillion lakes has a different perspective,

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

Lake Dillon (Denver's water supply) in 2002 drought:

Hosh,

The water situation doesn't appear too bad to me. The levels are way above what they were in that old 2002 drought picture. I suppose I am okay with more snow if it means Denverites can get a drink.

Im just teasing of course but really despite the recent snows the snowpack appears to me to be right around average which is okay news for both me, the water supply and the skiers. So far.

Springtime in the Rockies. My hometown was pounded pretty good today. All roads in and out have been closed all day. Wind gusts 50+ with over a foot of snow.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Springtime in the Rockies. My hometown was pounded pretty good today. All roads in and out have been closed all day. Wind gusts 50+ with over a foot of snow.
    The local brewery is giving a free beer to anyone who skis or snowshoes in... Helps me, but probably not the CT hikers.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Just spent 2.5 hours doing nothing but shoveling, not even half way done... this is a biggie! reminds me of March 2003......

Shoveling? Don't you have snowblowers out there? Or kids?

Stay safe in the storm and make a turn for me out there!

It's been a while. When I first moved her in the 1980's, we would get really big spring storms pretty frequently. This one's mostly up slope so most of the CT is out of play. DIA shut down.

Drifts knee deep in the yard, took the Xterra to the grocery and was pushing snow with the bumper, roads are a mess.

Wish I hadn't sold my snowmobiles.

My wife is from Wisconsin, she loves to shovel.

Hosh,

The water situation doesn't appear too bad to me. The levels are way above what they were in that old 2002 drought picture. I suppose I am okay with more snow if it means Denverites can get a drink.

Im just teasing of course but really despite the recent snows the snowpack appears to me to be right around average which is okay news for both me, the water supply and the skiers. So far.
    The Colorado Basin snowpack represents a high percentage of the arid West's water supply. Lake Mead is way, way, way down. Lake Powell is way, way down.

This recent spring storm assures that winter wheat farmers will have an acceptable harvest. The Front Range's reservoirs are lowered, sometimes emptied, in anticipation of spring runoff. A couple of poor snow years and you get to watch your lawn turn brown in August.

It took many years for Dillon Reservoir to return to full pool. During the recovery, a world class fishery below the dam was put under tremendous stress with low release rates.

Hopefully your adventure won't be impacted, but post holing is good for your quad development

Yeah Hosh, there are more important things than hiking conditions. I am just fooling around about the snow, what comes will come. I will attempt a hike regardless, if I have to posthole,snowshoe, skip or whatever Im sure it will all be good. Postholing might be good for my quads but my 800ft above sea level lungs are gonna hate it.

Your shoveling too? You guys gotta check out these things called snowblowers... they are great. Oh wait, I see your wife s doing the shoveling. That should keep her busy, just remind her what good exercise it is and how good she looks and you wont need a snowblower.

Take care and stay warm!

dillion is just one of denver water's many reservoirs.

Images

Believe it or not, my wife and I enjoy snow shovelling, great full body workout! That being said, yesterday was a big one, and my poor wife had to go to work and make the miserable commute....

Anyway, Breckenridge only got 4", another northern CO storm brewing, but might be north on the trail sections 6-7, those pesky sections in question for earlier CO trail starters.

Yeah Hosh, there are more important things than hiking conditions. I am just fooling around about the snow, what comes will come. I will attempt a hike regardless, if I have to posthole,snowshoe, skip or whatever Im sure it will all be good. Postholing might be good for my quads but my 800ft above sea level lungs are gonna hate it.

Your shoveling too? You guys gotta check out these things called snowblowers... they are great. Oh wait, I see your wife s doing the shoveling. That should keep her busy, just remind her what good exercise it is and how good she looks and you wont need a snowblower.

Take care and stay warm!
    My first house in Denver had a north facing driveway, big mistake by an immigrant from the mid west. My current house has a west facing driveway and our hi altitude sun is starting to do it's job this morning. I just drive over it, but my wife feels some civic duty to clear it all off.

I would normally at least assist, but I am at day 50 from recovering from bicep tendon surgery. A 5# weight causes my brow to crinkle.

I have progressed to being able to hoist a micro brew or two.

Images

My first house in Denver had a north facing driveway, big mistake by an immigrant from the mid west.
    I did the same on my first house out here, moving from Ohio, and I made it worse because it was at 9600' of elevation (Conifer Mountain). Yikes! NNE facing at 9600'. Good call. Our current (and hopefully until I'm dust or nearly so) house faces due south. Where do you live Hosh? We're in "Littleton", but really unincorporated Jeffco, near 285/C470.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++