WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: collegiate loop

Ok both are OK to send hiker boxes just called both..

Monarch gift store accepts UPS only..
    Thru October open 7 days week 8-6..

MPHS
    Open 8-8...7 days week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got curious, called also.

Monarch accepts, UPS only , mark as hiker box for xxxxx

Mt Princeton HS UPS, USPS, FEDX, mark as hiker box for xxxx, add stickers so easy to id, time estimate to p/u, Country Store should be able to fetch it. showers, hot springs available to hikers for $

You walk right by/very near Twin Lakes General Store(some snacks, MAYBE a day or two of food, a very MAYBE grab bag hiker box)/Twin Lakes Lodge and Inn(good meals they hold packages too) and PHS(they will hold packages at the front desk but always call first, decent b'fast and dinner plus buffets at the restaurant, small gift shop/resort store I supplemented buying 1.5 days of food on two different occasions). In short, taking along your adolescent son no absolute need to carry more than 4-5 days food with you at a time if you avail yourself of all the resupply opps. It is after all a 160 miler.

Collegiate West is definitely overall more scenic and of higher elevation. East side does go by the dam and Twin lakes Info Center/Power Plant(it's always been closed though when I've walked by) and near historic Interlaken Hotel.

Monarch usually has some limited snacks, ice cream and maybe some hot foods. It's a supplementing pt or place to possibly mail a box not buy a full multi day resupply but what is offered can change somewhat so again a ph call near when your passing through is advisable.

The exact resupply pt involvements are somewhat dependent upon where in the loop you start/end.

On one of your other CT Loop threads Lonehiker suggested getting a shuttle to Twin lakes from the Leadville Hostel which is another possible logistical option. Leadville Hostel is another awesome run Hostel as is the Simple Hostel in Salida and Wanderlust Hostel in Gunnison(Not good for this Loop though). FWIW. if I was with my adolescent son wanting to include some other CO in/near town activities without the absolute requirement for a car I'd choose Salida as my base camp. Easy enough to get to Leadville by bus though too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You walk right by/very near Twin Lakes General Store(some snacks, MAYBE a day or two of food, a very MAYBE grab bag hiker box)/Twin Lakes Lodge and Inn(good meals they hold packages too) and PHS(they will hold packages at the front desk but always call first, decent b'fast and dinner plus buffets at the restaurant, small gift shop/resort store I supplemented buying 1.5 days of food on two different occasions). In short, taking along your adolescent son no absolute need to carry more than 4-5 days food with you at a time if you avail yourself of all the resupply opps. It is after all a 160 miler.

Collegiate West is definitely overall more scenic and of higher elevation. East side does go by the dam and Twin lakes Info Center/Power Plant(it's always been closed though when I've walked by) and near historic Interlaken Hotel.
    I spoke with the gentleman with the Colorado trail yesterday evening. He has me second guessing bringing my son....I haven't really looked at elevation profile in detail but if I decide not to bring him I'll likely push my hike sometime in September. My lil guy will be 10 this summer and has only done a few hikes on NC AT with longest around 40 miles and 3-4 days....given elevation and 160 miles do you think it's too much for an active kid in 14 days. He's been out west skiing a few times and didn't seem effected by altitude.

Scroll down a bit for elevations. If you do east loop first, acclimate longer and there are a couple of easy bailout places.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/74369/

You're representing anticipating about 12 MPD avg. My 10 yr old nephew or niece would be exhausted after 14 days but could do the 160 miles. I'd break it up not hiking every day for 14 days straight. I'd extend the days to about 17 or reduce the distance on the East Leg of the Loop. I'd build zero days in at PHS(SOAK, they have water slides too!), TL(Great open views, check out the power plant interpretive exhibits), BV(go to the library, walk to the Arkansas River and do a short day hike along it(less than 3 miles)), Salida(I mentioned the walkable aspect to other in town activities on your other thread), fishing, rafting, renting/borrowing bicycles, etc. TAKE IT EASY with the kids.

I'm guessing you'll be in CO for at least a day before hitting the Loop so have some time to acclimate. Possibly do the lower elevation east side first or save it for later to ramp up a higher mileage but easier elev wise day. Reward and recognize kids for their efforts and achievements no matter how seemingly insignificant to our own and don't be harsh with schedules. IMO, hiking with my nieces and nephews is about getting the opp to experience the outdoors with them. That is the achievement... from the plane ride from Fl, to traveling through unknown AP's and cities, to backpacking, to Nature,...

Yup, bail out pts, especially on the east side although HWY 50 into Gunnison COULD be one also. If possible bail outs might be needed I'd go with more than GPS waypts. I'd want to see the "bigger" picture which included roads of which there are some. On my CT flip flop thru and two other CT hikes in fall and spring with possible snow that's why I carried the Nat Geo TI maps. COers will chime in here soon who know much more than me.

I laid out a daily plan, rough, that had some days on the west side at 10 or 11 miles or so. There's some pretty good altitude gains per mile, sparse water supply and the need to camp at lower elevations due to lightening. This dictates, at least for me and my 23yo daughter, about 11 or 12 days, my folder is at home??. Your heaviest loads will be from Monarch Ski Area north on the west loop, assuming you go clockwise, it's also the tougher of the 2 in terms of elevation gain and altitude. That's why I considered the food cache at Cottonwood Pass. You could resupply at Tin Cup, but PMags says it's a PIA to hitch to and not much variety to eat.

The CT Foundation's data book has some good info, h2o, elevation profiles etc. The map Dogwood referenced is also good, but I couldn't find a Natl Geo complete map of the new loop. The Collegiate Wilderness Natl Geo map crops off the southern intersection of loop. I have the other 2 NG maps 129 130, I think that show everything.

I may end up doing the SNP section on the AT with him this summer then do the collegiate loop solo w the dog in mid September...it might be a year or two too soon for him with my time constraints. thanx for all the usefully info...

What is the best month to do the collegiate loop? I'm assuming similar to JMT mid to late September or is it better in July...

I would choose early to mid September. Weather can come early to Colorado mountains.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Ok...my daughter turns 16 sept 15....I'll look at lil before or after...any cell service?

Does the CT follow the paved road for several miles before and after mt Princeton hot springs resort? I'm looking over the route on the guthooks app....don't have maps yet. Planned to reach resupply at resort late 3rd day any camp spots near resort as I'll have a dog so assume a hotel room not likely.

Yes, it follows roads for a bit. If I remember right you would be able to find a campsite after the Chalk Creek trailhead. This is at most a couple of miles after your resupply at My Princeton HS. If going clockwise.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Heading SWBO it is about 3 miles along roads from Princeton Hot Springs to where you can camp on public lands again. This comes after almost 4 miles of road walks to get to the hot springs. The property along this 7 mile section is privately owned.

IMO, this road walk is the least pleasant part of the entire CT.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 04-02-2016 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Heading SWBO it is about 3 miles along roads from Princeton Hot Springs to where you can camp on public lands again. This comes after almost 4 miles of road walks to get to the hot springs. The property along this 7 mile section is privately owned.

IMO, this road walk is the least pleasant part of the entire CT.
    Thx....assume they will not let you camp at Princeton hot? Hoped to be there pick up resupply box and recharge iPhone and battery back up....

I just emailed you in case you're looking for a partner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++