WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any HH Adventure Racer + JRB users?

Any of you folks use a HH Adventure Racer?

I've been using a homemade 8' hammock for a while, but miss the hennessy style entry and ease of use (read: attached bug netting), so I was thinking about switching to one of these. Yes, I know about the weight limits...words words words...But it's made out of the same material as my homemade hammocks, so I'm not worried.

I've heard that the fly is attached to the hammock. It IS detachable, right? Hennessey flies suck...bad...and I'd much rather use an 8x8 tarp. Anyone see why this might not work?

The plan is to use the Adventure Racer and a JRB No Sniveller and put those in the HH #4 snakeskins.

The tarp will be strung up separately and go in its own stuffsac.

If my measurements are correct, this combo should weigh under 2.5 pounds, and when combined with one of my quilts, provide me with a total three-season hammocking solution at right at 3.5 pounds. Not bad eh?

Anyone used the JRB stuff listed above with an Adventure Racer? Jacks feel free to answer to. What mods are required to attach it to the Adventure Racer?

Thanks all,

-NewSushi

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Default No problem with fit

Hungry Howie,

You are on the right track for a super light approach.... MM and I both have used the Extreme Light Racer (ELR) for the last 18 months or so....mine has about 60 nights in it...no signs of wear, but I do take good care of it...they are the same material as the AR.

Major point, the AR is cut about 12 inches narrower...so , although you can get on the diagonal, it is a lot closer to a straight centerline lay...translate not quite as flat... but still quite comfortable.... it is short, so height is an issue, IMHO.

The tarp can be removed, but is an "unstitch" operation.... since I know as one who sew, you can use an unstitcher, you will not have any problem removing it....We know a great place for getting 8x8 Tarps... ...and with the shorter and narrower hammock....the 8x8 will be palacial....Take a good look at using the STL for the side tie outs....really convenient...really sanitary...taut tarp all night, every night...and our Tarp Gospel, as you know, "Tie the ridge line to the hammock support trees".

No Sniveller will be darn near full body coverage...Please read the revise Suspension System Installation Instructions on our products page.... Just Jeff found this technique....it is especially good for taking up the slack in the SS when using shorter hammocks or the extra winter weights on the SS caused by doubling under quilts or adding Weather Shields...It does not require any extra knots and keeps the angle of alignment near perfect for the support of the under quilt....and as always , we advise set-up at home with an assistant...put your assistant in the hammock and get a perfect under quilt suspension, gently against the hammock boddy and with full loft ( NS = 2 ") below your butt/hip area...use your hand to check the loft and contact...note the SS setting...now you can get it perfect each time by yourself in the field....

BTW, We now know how to get a full out winter parka in an UL pack for a negative 16-22 ounces...by replacing a 2 oz balaclava and eliminating a current insulation top.... Checkout the JRB Down Hood and Sleeves that integrate with the No Sniveller to give this new capability... They will work with the Nest also.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Thanks for the quick reply.

So...while I'm not afraid of using a seam ripper any day, what/where exactly on the Adventure Racer am I unstiching to get this fly off?

While I'm at it (since you don't run across an extreme light racer user everyday), does the elr have this same issue, or is its fly detachable like a standard ul backpacker, and how much does your elr weigh (everything except the fly)?

Thanks again,

-Howie

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=hungryhowie]Thanks for the quick reply.

So...while I'm not afraid of using a seam ripper any day, what/where exactly on the Adventure Racer am I unstiching to get this fly off?

Understand the corner is attached to the suspension rope instead of little hooks on most models.

While I'm at it (since you don't run across an extreme light racer user everyday), does the elr have this same issue, or is its fly detachable like a standard ul backpacker, and how much does your elr weigh (everything except the fly)?

The ELR is detachable... there is no plastic hook...there is a small cord attached with a pursic (sp) knot to the suspension lines and the cord is tied to the loop on the Fly....ELR without the fly, with tree savers, weighs 15.5 oz....

Added comment, forgot to mention it on the last post...the AR does not have Velcro on the entrance slit... The ELR does still has the Velcro...BTW, the Velcro is only needed to keep the hammock slit closed when the hammock is empty..ie to keep the bugs out before you get in it.... if you throw some gear in any model they will stay pretty well closed without fussing with the Velcro....

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

++ New Posts ++