WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Im going down on Feb 29 to sobo the BMT from Fontana to Springer and have been watching the 10 day for Robbinsvile area as of now feb 18 to 21 looks like highs in the 60s and lows at night in 30s. In 2000 I woke up in Betty Gap to 15 degrees in March, thats when I learned to keep my water and filter in tent. Ill be prepared either way.

Snow and ice are forecast for North Georgia mountains on Monday and Tuesday. Weather models are still unclear whether it will be a simple two-day event or a storm of epic proportions, but it definitely will be cold.

Journal Entries

If you balk at 11F overnight low, your kidding yourself about winter hiking. Your not prepared for winter at all if you cant handle single digit nights, and highs in 20s. You are just hopingfor mild conditions so you can chance it.

Not that there is any thing wrong with that...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-12-2016 at 15:23.

Yes, I'm a wimp! But a happy wimp none the less. However; I'm an educated wimp and know where my max limit begins and ends. I work SAR and there are definitely times that I do not get to chose whether or not I will subject myself to the elements or not, but for this event it is my choice. I've had many winter backpacking trips and even been deep in technical slot canyons where it was blistering cold and all was well. After experiencing the cold, WIND, and RAIN here in the "lowlands" for the past two days, I am totally at peace with my decision to cancel my planned hike due to an impending winter storm. Why? Because I can do this hike anytime and I'd much rather wait for more favorable weather. Even if its cold (and it will be) I really enjoy being able to sit by a campfire and relax after a long day on the trail. For myself, that's what it's all about. Kudos to those that chose to brave the harshest of weather by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    11 degrees isn't that cold. For Winter. Dress warm, go hikin' and have fun!
    Did you see he was from Alabama? We dont do cold very well down here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefATLTCT View Post
    Im going down on Feb 29 to sobo the BMT from Fontana to Springer and have been watching the 10 day for Robbinsvile area as of now feb 18 to 21 looks like highs in the 60s and lows at night in 30s. In 2000 I woke up in Betty Gap to 15 degrees in March, thats when I learned to keep my water and filter in tent. Ill be prepared either way.

Awesome? I'll be looking for a trip report. Today is the 29th, so I'm envious of you being on the trail. Not sure what the weather is like in NC but it's been gorgeous here in Bama for a few days. We are supposed to get bad storms here tomorrow, I hope it doesn't head your way.

We will be heading out for Springer in the early am Thursday to complete our BMT section hike 😊 It supposed rain on Thursday and a little on Wednesday. I'll just be glad to be back on the trail. I hope your trip is going great. 👣👣👣👣👣

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    Did you see he was from Alabama? We dont do cold very well down here.
    If it's below 70 my husband is sitting in front of the wood stove!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++