WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

No worries. I’ll just use the Terraplane and put the money saved into gas in the car to go places.
    Didn’t know there was a Terraframe. I wonder if it was before or after K2 nuked Dana Designs and Garuda Tents?
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Images

Interesting pack, that DD Terrplane.... I bought one used, about 15 years ago, $100, for a long mountaineering expedition (Denali). I think it was about 7.5 pounds, and I was just getting in to going lightweight. I was able to cut out well over a pound of nonsense from that pack with no real loss in functionality. I think I have that pound+ saved in a ziplock, have to go check, but I vaguely remember getting it down to 6 pounds flat, not too crazy for a heavy-duty, large, extremely supportive pack. Huge too-long straps everywhere, silly thick metal zipper pulls, and that nonsensical waste-belt thing built into the lid (for using as separate pack).

I just found an old pic of it sitting in the snow (my buddy in the pic, not me)....

Anyway, I gave it away a few years later to a guy who took pride in going heavy. He might still have it, but I know he quit using it because he got over going heavy, like most folks eventually do (except on here). I wonder if I can get it back and re-give it away on here? I'll check.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Not sure of volume, and don't think I have the Super Tioga anymore, but the Serac is bigger internally as it has the bottom sleeping bag compartment.

Wayne I am happy as could be with the Mystery Ranch Terraplanes, but would be curious to try a Terraframe, which was an external frame version of the Terraplane. It may not be all that great though, no idea...
    I might as well join the conversation as I have experience with several of the packs mentioned. I've done trips with the Kelty Ultra Tioga, the Dana Terraplane, the Kelty 50th Anniversary, and several Mystery Ranch G series packs. (The newer MR Terraplane is basically a rip off of their G5000 pack).

IMG_0782.jpg
    This is a pic you posted earlier in the thread and the Kelty on the right is their 50th Anniversary pack, barely mentioned in this thread.

TRIP 113 108-L.jpg
    Here's my buddy Hootyhoo borrowing my Kelty 50th for a trip---a unique kind of pack.

45-5 day 2 leaving crowders at horn in the west-XL.jpg
    Here's two of the packs mentioned---the Kelty Ultra Tioga on the left and the Terraplane on the right. (The Dana Terraplane!)

29-2 Snowdog on the Bob-XL.jpg
    The Dana Terraplane was my load hauler for many years before switching to Mystery Ranch and their G series packs.

P1000018-XL.jpg
    The main question I have for Casey/Gina is this: Does your new MR Terraplane use plastic hipbelt stiffeners on the outside of the belt as "wings"? This pic shows the wings on my G7000 pack which I cut off due to the outside of the hipbelt digging into my hip flesh due to the padding failing, allowing these hard plastic pieces to dig into my hips. I since upgraded to a McHale pack and he doesn't use any kind of plastic stiffeners in his belts.

The hipbelt pieces themselves seem to be foam and fabric only, but there is a piece about an inch and a half wide that makes a secondary connection to the pack farther out to the sides which had some stiff plastic in it. I'm sure it'll be years before any potential issue of the design comes to light as the materials and construction are extremely strong and we're not getting out nearly as much these days besides...

I haven't mentioned the 50th Anniversary pack much because I really don't like it. Mine is also too long for my torso, but the overall design of the pack is just awful. It was a stupid impulse buy. I still have it but for no good reason.

If you guys want to talk about *heavy* packs, take a look at the National Geographic NG5737. It's the heaviest pack I own, made of thick cotton, all-metal hardware including 6 heavy brass rings, entirely too much padding, and relatively small inside (hope you don't want a sleeping bag to fit). It's the only pack that has so many pockets I have difficulty determining the exact number. On top of that there's no frame of any sort. This pack makes all kinds of no sense. Yet it looks and feels nice, even with a good amount of weight, is completely silent, and gives one a certain indescribable joy to wear. Another silly impulse buy, I'd much rather use this crazy pack over the Kelty 50th Anniversary Edition. Of course, I could probably fit four times as much in the Kelty's single giant compartment.

You sound like a prime candidate for a Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack. I bought mine from the Hippies in Victor, ID in 1974. It’s still being made today.
    Good ideas never die!
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++