WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I've had Halvah in vanilla, chocolate or "marble" flavors, but never cinnamon. The most common brand is Joyva. It'll be in the middle-eastern foods section, if your supermarket has ethnic food sections.

It's sweet, rich, nutty, in the candy or candy-bar genre, sometimes found in candy-bar format, with a chocolate covering. The texture is a bit like the inside of a Butterfinger bar. If you break a bar with your fingers it will leave lots of crumbs.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

trail mix.jpg

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

1 - 15 oz can of Planter's Deluxe Mixed nuts with pistachios mixed with 1 - 12 oz. bag of plain M&M's....DONE!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I hear you but it's not what I commonly think of as a GORP ingredient. Speaking of sesame seeds, I've long been an advocate of Halvah as hiking food, and nobody knows what the flock I'm talking about.
    Halvah! Yes. I know what it is, and so delicious! Thanks for the idea. I have to include that in my packlist.

So many of these suggestions are glorified sugar.

You can make a good low-sugar mix that provides excellent energy/nutrition and won't have the health disadvantages of empty calories of junk food.

Start with nuts (macadamia, almond, walnut, pecan are best), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, and 90% Lindt dark chocolate. For dried fruit, dried berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries) are the lowest in sugar. This mix will satisfy hunger and won't spike insulin, which as we know leads to other problems...

Images

Sorry, but when actually hiking, pure sugar (or other soft carbs) is precisely what you need most. They are fuel, glorious "empty calories". For breakfast and dinner, sure, eat better, but zero need during the hiking part of the day to practice "good nutrition".

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    So many of these suggestions are glorified sugar.

You can make a good low-sugar mix that provides excellent energy/nutrition and won't have the health disadvantages of empty calories of junk food.

Start with nuts (macadamia, almond, walnut, pecan are best), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, and 90% Lindt dark chocolate. For dried fruit, dried berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries) are the lowest in sugar. This mix will satisfy hunger and won't spike insulin, which as we know leads to other problems...

Homeblended with stuff from the farmers market with very little sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Speaking of sesame seeds, I've long been an advocate of Halvah as hiking food, and nobody knows what the flock I'm talking about.
    Halva fans unite! I never thought to bring some hiking, that's a good idea. I just wrote to my buddy in the Arabian Gulf that I don't need him to send me anything, but maybe I'll change my mind. None of the halva I've purchased in the US has compared to the stuff from there. Pistachio is by far my favorite...mmmmmm....

Ok, so just what the flock IS halva??

Quote Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
    Ok, so just what the flock IS halva??
    welllllll....it's not just one type of thing. The name is used to describe many desserts around the world and many of them bear no resemblance to others.

The halva I am talking about is ground sesame seeds mixed with sugar and flavors. It is very dense, crumbly, not too sweet. This is the halva you'll find in much of the Middle East.

There are also halvas made from flour (often fried), carrots, yams, jellies (halva Bahraini), chickpeas, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halva

Oh, and I am most assuredly NOT a fan of halva Bahraini. Bought that by accident. ***.

HAHAHAHAHA I wrote u, c, k like "gross" but apparently it thought I was trying to say something else and inserted those asterisks

Images

only if somebody didn't sent it in a trail care package.....never bought it
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    coconut, dried apricots?
    Coconut chips are great in it. If you can't find any, buy some coarsest shredded coconut and spread it on a cookie sheet. Bake in the oven on about 210 until the edges turn light brown. If you like it salty/sweet or both you can sprinkle some salt and/or sugar on it before baking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++