WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Low Gap Shelter

Default Low Gap Shelter

Hello!

Planning my second hike of the GA section of the AT. The 2016 Northbound Guidebook mentions the Low Gap Shelter at mile marker 43.1. However, there isn't a forum thread.

Has anyone spent time, including an overnight, at the shelter? Also would like to confirm water is available as noted in the guidebook.

Thanks in advance!

Eric Hanke

Stayed there twice, shelter situated in a draw, water about 30-40 meters in front of the shelter. Privy up on the hill. Do a search for images on google for Low Gap Shelter. Lots of pictures.

It's a well used shelter with a lot of tent sites along the path down to it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I used this spot SOBO for lunch and privy, privy was literally overflowing and un usable...Peak NOBO season.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Decent shelter, but there is a great campsite one mile further north right off the trail. No water, but get some at the shelter and move on.

It's not one of the best shelters since it gets used way too much cause it's near Hwy 180. One of the best shelters north in my opinion is Plum Orchard gap shelter and Muskrat Creek shelter. I agree with soumodeler.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by AThkr View Post
    It's not one of the best shelters since it gets used way too much cause it's near Hwy 180. One of the best shelters north in my opinion is Plum Orchard gap shelter and Muskrat Creek shelter. I agree with soumodeler.
    Haven't been by Muskrat Creel shelter in about two years. Last time I was there, there was a basketball-sized hole burned through the shelter floor. Hope they have fixed it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I used this spot SOBO for lunch and privy, privy was literally overflowing and un usable...Peak NOBO season.
    The privy was closed during my stops there for lunch on a couple of day hikes this fall. There is also signage there to that effect.

Here's the main forum thread on Low Gap Shelter -- it was on page two in the Georgia subsection of the Shelters Forum:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...ow-Gap-Shelter
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Haven't been by Muskrat Creel shelter in about two years. Last time I was there, there was a basketball-sized hole burned through the shelter floor. Hope they have fixed it since then.
    Muskrat Creek Shelter has to be one of the trashiest shelters in GA/NC, at least it has been every time I have been there. Last time I stopped there everyone agreed that it was one of their least favorite so far on the trail.

Spent a night at Low Gap last week, in a tent though...not the shelter, as it was packed. Water is PLENTIFUL. There are plenty of tent sites. Privy was working just fine.

I prefer to tent camp but spent a night last week at Low Gap during a torrential rainstorm. Was glad not to get my gear soaked. Privy was open and usable, water was directly in front of the shelter (more like 20 feet than 30-40 meters). 6 of us packed in. One chipmunk. There are bear cables.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNC View Post
    6 of us packed in. One chipmunk.
    This place seems to be an animal magnet. We had 2 people + 1 bat the night I spent there.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was at low gap last month. The mice will scale the bear cables and eat into your food, so plan accordingly. There were also mice attacking bags hanging in the shelter. Tons of tent camping there, and the stream runs right next to the shelter. Muskrat Creek was as decent as any other shelter, and I think it's a good one for hanging out with friends because of the layout. Tons of tent camping there too and each tent area has it's own fire pit. Also.. you can head up to Raven Rock for the sunrise and sunset very easily from Muskrat Creek. Stream right behind the shelter too.

Journal Entries

I recall a lot of tent spots there

But very few level ones. Most had a slope to them.

The couple of level spots were up near the AT

Wind roared thru the treetops above all night

But things down low were still and protected

No falling limbs

It was nice
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-23-2016 at 16:12.

++ New Posts ++