WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resupply Plans

Default Resupply Plans

Is anyone interested in sharing their resupply schedule/plans? I'm finding this to be the most difficult part of the planning process.

This is one of those things you just figure out as you go along. How far to the next town/store/restaurant? How long will it take me given the current weather, terrain and level of motivation? If your doing mail drops, tell the person sending them out where you expect to be in the next week to 10 days.

The best you can do before hand is just to make a list of all the towns along the way and how far apart they are. Since you won't know how far your going to walk everyday or which ones you might end up skipping before hand, planning too far in advance doesn't usually work out very well.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

AWOL's site has some good info on planning. Go to http://theatguide.com/ then drill down through the menus on Hike Planning - Daily Plans - choose 12, 15, or 18 mpd plans. Just adjust for your own pace/timetable as needed. Note that some of it changes. Get his 2016 guide for the most up to date info.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-11-2016 at 17:01.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

No need to over think it unless you're doing mail drops for a special diet or something. A town comes up every week at some point, and they all have a grocery store and most have an outfitter. But everything you ever wanted to know is in AWOL's guide, including maps of the trail towns that tell you where the stores and post office are. Be sure to get the PDF version so you can put it on your phone.

Don't worry about it. You will figure it out as you hike. There's roads, stores, restaurants everywhere except for SMNP and the 'hundred. Other than those two areas you should never need to carry more than a 4-5 day supply of food (often less).
    Just carry good documentation so you can plan out a few days ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by mirandaminer View Post
    Is anyone interested in sharing their resupply schedule/plans? I'm finding this to be the most difficult part of the planning process.
    I am planning to resupply solely on the way. I'll have only one mail drop to switch out gear. Two reasons for this plan. I don't want to be tied to mail drop locations, and I am living in Latvia so planning for and cost of mail drops are to much.
    This approach provides a great deal more freedom. However I do worry about finding enough healthy food this way.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I just realized there is a whole planning section on this website outside the forums thanks to this post! Thanks.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...-and-Schedules

not sure why I never noticed it...

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I just looked at my guidebook, then went from there. I usually carried about 2 extra meals in case of a mouse incident, something got spoiled, emergency, or if someone ran out and needed some help. Resupply was easier than I thought, though.
    - Trail name: Thumper

You might want to check out the "Articles" section of this website and read the "Re-Supply" piece. It is out-of-date and needs some fixing up (it mentions places and facilities that are no longer viable and omits some recent ones) but most usefully, it will tell you with some degree of accuracy how long it'll take the average hiker to traverse a particular section of Trail, and will tell you how many days to plan for,and subsequently, how much food to bring along for each section. It covers the Trail in its entirety. I've received some very nice feedback from hikers over the years from this article, and despite its need for some updating, I think you still might find it useful today.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jack brings up a very good point. Here is the article that he is referring to http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content....Katahdin-Maine
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Post #2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    AWOL's site has some good info on planning. Go to http://theatguide.com/ then drill down through the menus on Hike Planning - Daily Plans - choose 12, 15, or 18 mpd plans. Just adjust for your own pace/timetable as needed. Note that some of it changes. Get his 2016 guide for the most up to date info.

I have AWOL's plans downloaded on my iphone. I expect it to work until Hiawassee after which I will probably throw it out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    I have AWOL's plans downloaded on my iphone. I expect it to work until Hiawassee after which I will probably throw it out.
    That'll save a bit or byte(s) of weight? Yeah, plans have to be fluid. But, it's a better start than nothing at all for those that don't have any idea what's out there. At least it gives people an idea of how far and how long between resupply. If they can't figure out the rest and how to adjust, they probably have difficulty at home with things like eating and getting to work on time as well. Most thru-hikers tend to obsess about resupply during the planning stages. If nothing else, detailed plans ease their angst a bit.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-14-2016 at 22:52.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I planed 3 mail drops using Jake's article. Only needed to send my venison jerky that I made.

Jack Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    You might want to check out the "Articles" section of this website and read the "Re-Supply" piece. It is out-of-date and needs some fixing up (it mentions places and facilities that are no longer viable and omits some recent ones) but most usefully, it will tell you with some degree of accuracy how long it'll take the average hiker to traverse a particular section of Trail, and will tell you how many days to plan for,and subsequently, how much food to bring along for each section. It covers the Trail in its entirety. I've received some very nice feedback from hikers over the years from this article, and despite its need for some updating, I think you still might find it useful today.
    I used this article to develop my resupply plan along with the data from mapmans article on hiking statistics. If you take the lower number in Mr. Tarlin's article, for each section, it equates to a 5 month schedule. I have sent my spreadsheet to several people over the years and would be happy to send it to anyone interested. I suspect if you used the higher number you would have a 6 month schedule although I have not verified that.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I downloaded Jack's article to my phone and referred to it often during my thru. I found the information on average distances between supply points to be accurate for me and the store information still good even though the article had been written 4 years before hand (written in 2007).

Jack, how about an update for 2017?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

My plan . Every month the government puts money in my bank. I use a bank card to resupply on trail

thom

My re-supply plan is untested, so take it with a grain of salt. 90% of the time I'll resupply on the trail getting whatever I can get that's vaguely appropriate.

I didn't want to carry the full weight of the guidebook, or exclusively count on the PDF version. Therefore I figured I'd mail sections of the guide to myself. Since I'm mailing the guide, why not mail some handy items, and healthy food supplements along as well? I looked at this website of possible tough re-supply towns and decided which ones I could flat out skip, which ones I'd probably have to stop in at. I then marked the guide with sticky notes into roughly six sections and looked for either a tough re-supply town, or an interesting looking lodging spot that was near the trail, or within free shuttle service of the trail.

Then using magic, I combined all this data in my brain and chose six private businesses to send maps, guidebook sections, food, food supplements, and expensive single portion supplies to. I also checked online to verify those businesses were still in business and used the same mailing address. Simple!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++