WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question GA Weather/bag liner

Morning all John Muir here, I was wondering something. I am getting ready to do the Ga section of the trail this April, and I know it has been a colder than average winter. I am set to start in the third week of April and want anyone's opinion on what kind of weather I might be looking at. Also if anyone has used the sea to summit thermolite extreme liner from R.E.I, is that plus a 40* bag going to be enough.

Journal Entries

Nights could be 25F or 55F. Weather forecast will tell you a week beforehand. Most likely a real 40F bag is enough with clothing. Especially in a tent.
    In any case, you will survive even if a bit cold. Its good incentive to get up and start hiking early. Ive slept with 40F quilt down to 28F. Legs and feet very cold, glad when sun came up so I could start moving.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-14-2016 at 10:45.

Are you normally a cold sleeper? I am and that combo probably wouldn't be enough unless we had a warm spell. In addition, if you are an active sleeper who tosses and turns throughout the night, any type of sleeping bag liner will be maddening.

Actually, it's been a warmer then usual winter. By late April it's warming up quickly and you'd likely be fine with that set up. It would be really marginal for early April, but not for late April. A couple of weeks makes quite a bit of difference that time of year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++