WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Same. Pillow.
    Yup, stuff into a small stuff sack, great pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I use 3/4 length pad so my pack is used for my lower legs.
    I've been reading this "trail wisdom" for 40 plus years. I have never owned, nor have I ever seen a pack that would be comfortable between my legs and feet and the ground. That includes the frameless Jensen pack that I have owned since 1975.
    Obviously folks do it. I'm not buying it.
    Sleep well.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I put mine inside my Lunar Solo, it has plenty of room weighs 24 OZ and is made in the USA, plus doesn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I use 3/4 length pad so my pack is used for my lower legs.
    Almost surprised that it does, but that works for me too. The only downside is that the pack has to be completely emptied at night before retiring, and refilled in the AM when breaking camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    So, then, why would you keep it in your tent. Is your tent, by chance, hermetically sealed?
    Same reason I keep my food in my tent -- to keep the bears from getting it.

Hermetically sealed...that's funny

I stand it up and beener-it to the hiking pole that supports my tent, so it's easy to get into if I need something.

Tents that don't have room for my pack are not acceptable.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm emphatically not a thru-hiker, but I can't see that it matters for how you stash your pack. I go with pack in the vestibule, sometimes clipped to a tent pole to keep it upright, pack cover underneath it like a bathtub to keep it up off the wet ground.

Campsite by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

In the vestibule, keeps it 100% cry, if I need something out of it at night, it's right there, I also lean it up near my head as an extra windblock on high wind nights & it's right there in the am when I awake & pack up before leaving the tent.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    In the tent/vestibule. If you want to leave it outside, bring a trash bag so it doesn't get soaked from rain.
    Ditto on this!

Not a thru hiker, but I keep mine in the vestibule. Inside a trash compactor bag if it's raining out.

I sleep against one wall of my tent and the pack goes against the other at the top half. Doesn't take up that much space once the tent sleeping bag and clothes bag/pillow are removed.

I'm not a thru hiker either so I hope I don't get in trouble responding...

Every tent or tarptent I've ever owned had some sort of vestibule. Store your pack there. If you need extra protection, cover it with your pack cover or trash bag as already described.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Under the tent vestibule. Prop it up on the trekking pole that is used to pitch my tent. If it is raining, some water might get on it, but not an issue as it is mostly empty anyways.
    Me too
    My tent is a Tarp Tent Notch. It has two very large vestibules. I have rigged a short piece of cord. A loop on one end goes over the tip of the pole holding up the tent. The other end has a mini biner I can clip to the loop at the top of of the pack so it is hanging from the pole. This keeps it off the ground.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Same reason I keep my food in my tent -- to keep the bears from getting it.

Hermetically sealed...that's funny
    After weeks of peanut butter and ramen, would hermetically sealed be a good idea for the occupant?

Hiker found dead; cause of death, his own farts.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I had to sleep diagonally in my tent. It's 6 foot x 4 foot "2 person" tent. So my pack fit in one of the corners rather well. If it was soaked, it still went in with me. Never leave a buddy behind.
    I've been thinking of getting a 3 man tent for this very reason. The gf won't leave her dogs at home or outside alone. 2 people, 2 backpacks and 2 dogs will fit in a 2 man tent as long as you don't mind stacking. Grrrrr.

My daughter now babysits the dogs and there's no chance in hell they are coming on the thru hike. Still a 3 person tent would be nice to have the extra room.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a 3 man tent for this very reason. The gf won't leave her dogs at home or outside alone. 2 people, 2 backpacks and 2 dogs will fit in a 2 man tent as long as you don't mind stacking. Grrrrr.

My daughter now babysits the dogs and there's no chance in hell they are coming on the thru hike. Still a 3 person tent would be nice to have the extra room.

I have a larger (and much heavier) tent as the family tent for the wife and dog. I'm 6 foot 2 so my small tent actually does quite well with all of my gear in it, if I sleep diagonally. I like to have my pack near me mainly to keep rodents out and for use a pillow or leg rest throughout the night.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I have a larger (and much heavier) tent as the family tent for the wife and dog. I'm 6 foot 2 so my small tent actually does quite well with all of my gear in it, if I sleep diagonally. I like to have my pack near me mainly to keep rodents out and for use a pillow or leg rest throughout the night.
    I'm 6'2" as well and do NOT have to sleep diagonal at all even in the 2 man tent. I bought the 2 man tent for when I was solo hiking. I had my son with me once but turns out he's a glamper not a hiker. Even with the gf, everything fits but I don't know if I'd like it much for 6 months straight. A little more elbow room would be nice but I'm not willing to go up too much in weight. So, we'll see what I can find on sale over the year. Worst case I stick with what I've got.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I sleep against one wall of my tent and the pack goes against the other at the top half. Doesn't take up that much space once the tent sleeping bag and clothes bag/pillow are removed.
    I do this also. There is always something that I want - book, meds, etc - so it's near. Used it as a pillow once and didn't like it, that drove me to an inflatable pillow.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries

Since my pack is emptied of gear, I'll slide my quilt/ feet in there at the foot of my tent and use it as an extra layer to keep warm when backpacking in the cold.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jenningka View Post
    Since my pack is emptied of gear, I'll slide my quilt/ feet in there at the foot of my tent and use it as an extra layer to keep warm when backpacking in the cold.
    No fricking way!! I can't stand mummy bags as it is. For survival sure. For anything short of that, not a chance!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++