WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Down jacket or vest

I am looking to invest in a nice down jacket... or vest? I want somthing to wear around camp at night and possibly under my shell if it gets too cold. I have seen many a down jacket in many of the hiking shows I have watched, only a few vests. Has anyone tried a down vest? I would think it would be better to layer without the added bulk in the arms. Only about $75 price difference, just a comfort issue.

I carry a Borah gear vest. 4 oz

thom

Vests are very a versatile piece. I like them a lot. I find vests great for moderate conditions or cold conditions when one is being active and wants to keep their core warm while being able to still radiate extra heat off through their arms. As an extra layer when sleeping or sitting around camp, I find that my arms get cold with a vest and cool the rest of me down too much.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I never understood the attraction of a vest versus a full coat (or anorak). The weight difference is typically negligible (although 4 oz. for Cheyou's Borah vest is pretty impressive) and the warmth improvement is pretty marked IMO. Take a look at Montbell's Superior down jackets (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php) [note that the Plasma 1000 is even lighter, but is quite a bit thinner for the weight].

I've done quite a bit of backpacking in early Spring/late Fall on the AT. While I have brought my old Montbell UL Down sweater (7 oz) several times, I think I've only worn it twice, and that was mostly because I had brought it. Remember that your internal thermostat gets much more used to the outside temperature after a day or three, to the point that a dry long-sleeve camp shirt, my microfleece, and a dry rain jacket would keep me warm down to 25-30 degrees at camp (and if it gets colder, you can always resort to your sleeping bag).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Very true about cold arms. If I'm to cold a quilt stuffed in a rain jacket works . Light weight down are only as warm as a fleece but lighter . Fleece works better wet and can wring out water.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I never understood the attraction of a vest versus a full coat (or anorak). The weight difference is typically negligible (although 4 oz. for Cheyou's Borah vest is pretty impressive) and the warmth improvement is pretty marked IMO. Take a look at Montbell's Superior down jackets (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php) [note that the Plasma 1000 is even lighter, but is quite a bit thinner for the weight].

I've done quite a bit of backpacking in early Spring/late Fall on the AT. While I have brought my old Montbell UL Down sweater (7 oz) several times, I think I've only worn it twice, and that was mostly because I had brought it. Remember that your internal thermostat gets much more used to the outside temperature after a day or three, to the point that a dry long-sleeve camp shirt, my microfleece, and a dry rain jacket would keep me warm down to 25-30 degrees at camp (and if it gets colder, you can always resort to your sleeping bag).
    i have bin trying to only buy made in the USA when I can . Montbell makes some nice stuff .

There are very light down vests (6-7 oz) that can be had for not much money, pack very small and are very warm for the weight.
    I have one from Aldi (not sure if they exist there) that is just over 6 oz , I paid $35 (Australian dollars) for it.
    Uniclo has something like that for not much more.
    Works well as a layer including under my down jacket .
    (about the size of a small silk liner when packed)

Great points all!
    The arm cooling issue is my biggest concern.

Today I put on all of my layers including my old down jacket (which is too small). It seems like my arms will get very hot if I were to hike with it on.

I see there are many great suggestions, is there any with pit zips or some other way to regulate heat? My shell does have pit zips.

Forgot to mention, I am going to do the PCT after the AT. Would like my system to work for both.

I own both an UL down vest and jacket for backpacking. The vest is purely for summer hiking. The jacket is for 3 season use. Enjoy using both for their intended purposes including being part of my pillow. For me, they are for use in camp. I've never been able to hike for more than a few minutes before I heat up too much and have to pull it off; even when it was snowing on me.

If you want something that is usable for as PCT thru-hiker, then you have ready answered your own question; get a jacket. A vest won't keep you warm enough in camp when you are barely moving for the entire trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I own both an UL down vest and jacket for backpacking. The vest is purely for summer hiking. The jacket is for 3 season use.
    Me too, both, both Montbells, something close to 7 and 4.5 ounces respectively. Every once in a while I carry both.... talk about warm! Nice in mid-late fall or early spring. But mid summer in Colorado, I just carry the vest; a long sleeve base layer and rain jacket provide plenty of arm warmth, just sometimes need a tad more core warmth in mornings/evenings around camp, the 4.5 ounce vest is really handy for that.

BTW, I don't hike with down clothing on, I just use them around camp and inside the tent.
    (no rain/no sweat...)

I carry a Borah gear down vest and luke's ultra-light down sleeves. Very warm, adjustable to meet conditions and with a wind breaker or rain jacket over the top the set up is very parka-like.

Long underwear top.
    Long sleeve shirt, synthetic, fleece or wool as needed.
    Camp 7 down vest. Yes, the Camp 7 in Boulder.
    Wind/water proof jacket w/hood.
    Head and hand coverings suitable for the season and conditions.
    Northern Europe and the Canadian Rockies in July taught me to never leave without the items listed above.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

If you're considering the AT and PCT consider long term gearing up for possibly greater versatility using synthetic insulation as the weather scenarios for the AT and PCT are usually different for NOBOs. AT NOBO is a wetter hike than a PCT NOBO. If you do take along a down vest or jacket for the AT consider protecting the down with a very good shell(face fabric) with a quality DWR or plan on hauling a rain shell etc to protect the down loft.

I love appropriate vests as versatile layering pieces that can be used while active on the move and in camp and under many layering and weather scenarios. Since I tend to not wander around camp when I do camp and don't usually take long cooling down stops during a cold hiking day being more of a hiker that camps rather than a camper that hikes I usually don't need a heavy designated single piece camp coat during many 3 season fairer weather hikes as a quilt or sleeping bag addresses that need in camp. Once I stop it's customary to be under a tarp or in a tent inside a quilt/sleeping bag within 20 mins. Since I'm of a UL mindset I want to be wearing all or most of my layers/apparel on a reg basis or often enough that I don't feel apparel or gear pieces are seeing extremely limited use.

Images

A lightweight down jacket is a great piece for camp, sleeping, and breaks during the day, but it's generally not useful while you're actually hiking, especially under a shell. It would have to be VERY cold before I could hike in a down jacket and not sweat so much it soaked the down and made the jacket useless.

For most conditions I like the ~10-12oz down parkas - the hood is a key component. Montbell makes some nice ones, but there are plenty of others. For winter around here (NC/TN/VA) the parkas start getting up into the ~20oz range unless you get a second mortgage.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks Miner!
    Jacket it is.

Journal Entries

I don't have a down vest, and if I did, wouldn't wear it while hiking. However, I have a fleece vest, which I do wear while hiking if I need it. Sometimes I wear it backwards over my chest when I need a little extra warmth for a bit. My fleece vest is one of my favorite clothing items, and I wear it all the time off the trail too.

My only really cold outing I had both. The vest is nice while hiking but I found I needed sleeves for camp. That said, the next day was pretty cold with lots of miles on the North side of the ridges and I had my jacket on more that day.

Images

I have/do use both. In warm weather, I bring the vest. In shoulder weather I bring the jacket. In actual cold I carry both. This system works great for me. Mine are synthetic - my bag is down. I like having some substantial synthetic insulation with me in case the unthinkable happens and my down gets too wet to be effective enough. Never happened, but it COULD and going with synthetic vest and jacket is easy insurance when in the wilderness with limited options. Additionally, having synthetic jacket/vest means you CAN hike with it on if necessary - not so good to hike in down, at least not for too long.

Vests are more comfortable when moving around much, especially if you want to combine two light weight items like I do. Two jackets under a shell would be way too confining.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++