WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    My only really cold outing I had both. The vest is nice while hiking but I found I needed sleeves for camp. That said, the next day was pretty cold with lots of miles on the North side of the ridges and I had my jacket on more that day.
    Same here. I have 1 lb. in my vest and jacket w/hood, both synthetic. I wear both when it drops below freezing. In the summer, it's vest only.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I have/do use both.... In actual cold I carry both. This system works great for me. Mine are synthetic - my bag is down. I like having some substantial synthetic insulation with me in case the unthinkable happens and my down gets too wet to be effective enough. Never happened, but it COULD and going with synthetic vest and jacket is easy insurance when in the wilderness with limited options. Additionally, having synthetic jacket/vest means you CAN hike with it on if necessary - not so good to hike in down, at least not for too long...
    I'm of a like mind. Good you commented on the possible advantage of different synthetic jacket/vest insulation and down sleeping bag options used together.

I find answering questions as the OP phrased it limiting in scope because whether it be a jacket or a vest it is only one layering piece in a system so the whole system has to be considered. That was entirely ignored and reflected in some poster's comments.

It's misleading to say one can't hike in a appropriate weighted jacket or vest when other layers and accessories that could be or are worn are left out of the layering discussion! This is important to understanding thermoregulation and layering systems. Under all but the hottest most humid conditions I certainly can hike at a measured moderate pace wearing a Micro 150 wt Smartwool tee or ultra breathable ultra ventable tees designed for higher aerobic output activities such as running/cycling/fastpacking like Icebreaker GT 150 Sonic Half Zip tee or Salomon Ultra Trail Half Zip synthetic tee or even a cheap made for running breathable ventable shoulder mesh and underarm mesh/side panel Champion synthetic tee under a UL full zip more breathable vest such as a Patagonia Nano Puff w/ Primaloft Gold/UL 800 fp Down Vest/, Montbell Thermawrap Sport/Light Shell/Ex Light, or a TNF Thermoball vest or jacket such as Montbell's Inner Down jacket(discontinued) TNF Thermoball also weasring skimpy running shorts and trail runners looking more like an Ultra Runner being attentive to conditions to thermoregulate and choices of other layers, accessories(beanie, balaclava, bandanna, buff, etc, gloves, shorts or pants, types of socks and shoes, even type of backpack, etc. I can relate my apparel and accessory systems are reflected by what backpack I'm using. Different deal going fast and light LD BPing using a 38 L MLD Burn verse going for a week long winter outing carrying a loaded 60 L Arc blast at a slower pace.

http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-cl...ariationId=040

http://www.racingtheplanet.com/store...K8LxoCxtnw_wcB

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/salomon-..._OFBoCVzPw_wcB

Attempting to lump all jackets and/or vests, layering systems, or backpacking approaches/styles into one scenario is problematic. It MIGHT be wise to include some of these aspects into the larger picture when choosing "jacket" or "vest" or down verse synthetic. And, what works ideal for someone else might very well not be what serves another well.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...vest?p=84241-0

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...01171&gen_cd=1

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...ariationId=65J

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm of a like mind. Good you commented on the possible advantage of different synthetic jacket/vest insulation and down sleeping bag options...
    Very good points sir.

To be specific on my layering. Worst case scenario is like this:

1-Beyond "silky" base layer
    2-Patagonia R1 half zip
    3-Puffy coat/vest here (MH GW)
    4-Hard shell fully taped hooded coat

Pants are soft shell, rain kilt if it gets really wet.

I hope this helps divine more wisdom.

Missed the part about accessories. I keep that simple with boonie hat, neck gater, gloves.

I am still thinking going with the mountain hardware ghost whisperer jacket. Planning to drag all my layers to the shop and put everything on to see how things feel. The local shop has most of what you suggested, along with some others.

Liked Mike Clelland's layering approach as a jumping off point which might not even be defined as an UL approach but just an excellent possible layering approach. AS ALWAYS, the info is offering ideas from which point one can, AND LIKELY SHOULD, individually alter aspects to best address their own situations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4D3AHzlxQ

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Liked Mike Clelland's layering approach as a jumping off point which might not even be defined as an UL approach but just an excellent possible layering approach. AS ALWAYS, the info is offering ideas from which point one can, AND LIKELY SHOULD, individually alter aspects to best address their own situations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4D3AHzlxQ
    That video is very close to my setup. I have the wind shirt like his, never use it for hiking, for the same reason I asked about the vest originally. Too dang hot and restrictive to the arms.

I do like his mountbell jacket, also started looking into the hybrid jackets that are like down vest with some sort of thin material sleeves. Aiming to get to a local(ish) store and look into more options tomorrow.

Love the vest, makes a great add on to the cold feet on a colder than expected night.

When was the last time you had cold arms?

Quote Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
    When was the last time you had cold arms?
    Never, that I can think of.
    Also never tried serious winter trekking.

Lightweight down jacket is key for being warm while waking up and getting things moving. For me, vests are better used for layering while moving in the cold and fleece is king there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brup Bup View Post
    Lightweight down jacket is key for being warm while waking up and getting things moving. For me, vests are better used for layering while moving in the cold and fleece is king there.
    Fleece?!
    Interesting. I assume you are not talking about your Old Navy Fleece. Any reccomdations or just any reputable brand?

montbell has some UL 900 fill and the 1000 fill in the Clarence section right now for about 70.00 off the price A GREAT DEAL, I did post this yesterday on another site I don't know how long they will last. men and women

Quote Originally Posted by brendathompson71 View Post
    montbell has some UL 900 fill and the 1000 fill in the Clarence section right now for about 70.00 off the price A GREAT DEAL, I did post this yesterday on another site I don't know how long they will last. men and women
    Cool find! Thanks!

Looked over the Mountbell, compared them to the mountain hardware and North Face. Seems to me, most of the cost in the expensive down is in whether or not it is water resistant. Makes sense as a wet down might as well just be toilet paper.

Is it worth the cost?
    Has anyone been stuck on trail with a wet down coat?

Images

I don't use a vest opting for the Marmot Zeus down jacket in camp and during stops, so want the sleeves, too. That said, I can see the attraction of the vest. Back in the day when I used a down vest (80's), I did so because the popular belief was that the vest keeps your core warm and your arms really don't need as much insulation. Right or wrong, it worked for me at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    I don't use a vest opting for the Marmot Zeus down jacket in camp and during stops, so want the sleeves, too. That said, I can see the attraction of the vest. Back in the day when I used a down vest (80's), I did so because the popular belief was that the vest keeps your core warm and your arms really don't need as much insulation. Right or wrong, it worked for me at that time.
    Yes!
    That was exactly why I asked. I had one too, never seriously hiked with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++