Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
What I see in this photo:

AT Journals 2010.jpg

One hiker celebrating with a bottle of champagne.

What I see in the Jurek photos:

AT jurek 1.jpg AT jurek 2.jpg

I think the problem is pretty self-evident. Scenes like these last two are what BSP doesn't want repeated nor to be associated with.
Oh, the problem is more than evident. It's evident in the trail services closing, agencies drawing a line in the sand, and it is evident in what I have seen on the trail. You will get no disagreement from me on that! BSP has their rules, their rules are not being followed/respected and they have to draw a line in the sand. I am a respectful guest when I visit someone/someplace.

My point (to the OP's post) was that the picture was not embracing the party atmosphere, nor did it even make me feel the need to carry a bottle to the top of Katahdin just because the hiker did. I guess it makes me one of the non-sheep if I can look at a picture and see it for what it is, and not take it as a message to go get drunk on a mountain.

The picture was run during another time when the partying was not the issue it is today. Times change and the ATC is ever-evolving - Just like the trail and the people on the trail.