WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Coffee. Cold cereal (granola with Nido whole milk mixed in) them more coffee. Then finally, after all packed up, another cup of coffee. Good to go!

I have given up on hot breakfasts, although I will boil water for instant coffee. I eat cheese, sausage, and fruit bar.

One tasty cake brand honey bun. something like 600 calories and 11 grams of protein, plus delicious!
    AT2015 GA-ME

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Coffee. Cold cereal (granola with Nido whole milk mixed in) them more coffee. Then finally, after all packed up, another cup of coffee. Good to go!
    Me too! Though maybe a touch more coffee before I start …

Bruce Traillium

ovaeasy with dehydrated green/redpeppers, onions pinch of salt and dash of pepper. Sprinkle of precooked bacon. cokked while drinking coffee and Baileys with a biscotti.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

After a few months it was four packets of oatmeal. Unless I could detour into a town in the am and then I'd skip breakfast and either go for a 'hiker breakfast' or a pint of Ben & Jerry's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. There's nothing like starting off the day with 2400 calories.

Journal Entries
    Images

Beginning of hike - summer sausage on tortilla to reduce weight and eat it before it has a chance to go bad; cold mornings - oatmeal with Nido, Splenda, raisins, dried fruit and peanut M&Ms; warmer mornings - Cherrios (good enough for the Lone Ranger, good enough for me), Nido, raisins - can't pour water on Cherrios so I mix the Nido separately; instant pudding is a hit some mornings; Lara/Clif/Power bars last day to get faster start.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    Normal.... you know... A can of sardines and a few fingers of scotch. Thats when men were men. Could you imagine Lewis and Clark eating pop-tarts and fruit roll ups?

LOL
    They'd be thrilled, especially a few months in.

For me, oatmeal and cocoa, snacks as the day goes on.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Here's a real breakfast.Steel cut oats sweetened with chopped dates.It takes about 15 minutes to cook and you have to have a real stove and know how to clean a pot.A.
    Attachment 33712

Everything is better cooked on a Svea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Default Whats a normal hiking breakfast for you?

Carnation instant breakfast and powdered milk when packing up then granola cereal with milk when walking out. snacks until lunch when I actually cook.

Journal Entries

We completely dump the idea of "breakfast food" on the trail. It's more about hot meals versus cold meals. We prefer the hot meals while in camp, so those are morning and evening. Breakfast might be 2-3 packets of oatmeal with fruit and nuts thrown in, OR it might be mashed potatoes, or pasta, or vegeburgers, or grilled cheese. On the other hand, supper might be oatmeal.

Krispy Kream fried apple pie and a hard boiled egg. Sometimes a hot drink like herbal tea or hot chocholate...I gave up caffeine a while ago so no coffee.

Two packages of instant outmeal, some dried fruit, couple cups of coffee, or if im in a hurry, two teaspoons of instant coffee in my oatmeal. Add some ovaltine powder and nido instant milk and im good for a few hours. Usually just snack at rest breaks throught out the day on trail mix, poptarts, beef jerky, stuff like that. Hot meal at camp that night which is usually a knorr pasta side or instant potatoes, more nido milk and herbal tea.

cheese, precooked bacon and a tortilla or mini bagel
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

2 hard boiled eggs, some cheddar cheese or precooked bacon, and a handful of baby carrots.

Quick and easy is the what most thru hikers end up doing, which typically means Honey Buns or Pop Tarts.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Poptarts with peanut butter between them. Yummy Yummy

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

2-3 cups coffee. Granola or muesli w/ powdered milk, and my big treat: an orange. As often as possible I pack fresh fruit and save an orange for breakfast.

Chocolate Protein shake with Starbucks via instant coffee. Mix and add to my pot with dried blueberries. Next breakdown camp. Next add Honey bunches of oats cereal and chia seeds to the pot. Eat and enjoy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

After trying almost all of the above carbage options and invariably feeling famished an hour later after the insulin spike and crater, I have moved towards fat adaption and changed things considerably. I find that lower carb higher fat fare is more satisfying and provides slow burning fuel. For breakfast, the ideal would be eggs (fresh or dehydrated) and pre-cooked bacon and some other type of real food items like avocado, olive oil, cheese, beef jerky. It's so nice to hike without the "hiker hunger" that I used to struggle with, which caused a lot of gross binging and overeating. I knew there was a better way...

Besides causing hunger pangs in a very short while, oatmeal, poptarts and other starch/sugar options just are not very nutritious compared to real food options. And as we get older many of us can't deal with the demands on our pancreas. At least it is not a good idea to strain that little bugger.

You really don't need all those carbs for energy. Your body fat is a superior source of fuel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++