WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bland parking

Default Bland parking

Looking to section hike from Roan Mtn to Hwy 52/Fwy 81 trailhead. Want to park car for 12-14 days around Bland.
    Any experience in parking problems/opportunities?

Journal Entries

I have been driving from northern Kentucky to Sneads Ferry N.C. for the last several years to visit my son and daughter-in-law. I know the A.T. crosses under I-77 in V.A. Is Bland the trail town crossing. There are not any A.T. signage to inform. I am planning to go back to Sneads Ferry late Spring and would like to check out the trail. I am sectioning the AT as well and thinking that may be a good spot for my wife to meet me.

Wouldn't a more tasty option be better (after all who wants Bland anything)?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Wouldn't a more tasty option be better (after all who wants Bland anything)?
    The town left sour taste for me when Barney Fife rolled up to me on route 52 and said it was illegal to hitch in VA. I was told by an ex Submariner that came out of his driveway that it was legal and that cop liked giving hikers grief. My fellow ex Navy said hop in I'll give you ride. He was okay but the gas station / country store / sandwich shop. ran outa peanut butter.

Yes the AT goes on the left shoulder of 52 and under 77 about a mile or so above bland. This was 4 yrs ago and it might of been relocated.

Sorry I can't help with parking but that area may have outfitter you could ask.

Images

AT crosses at crest of ridge on 52 about 3.5 miles from Bland. It goes over I-77 on road bridge. There is some parking there. Another option is Rt 615 at Laurel creek, 6.2 miles trail miles south. There is a gravel Forest Service parking lot. Fort plain.jpgI live 1.5 miles from this lot, If you want to park on my property send me a PM.

Images

Try Bubba's shuttles, he lives near big Walker Motel in Bland, does shuttles for a reasonable price, maybe he has parking available.
    I don't know for sure he will allow that, but he is a friend to hikers, so can't hurt to ask. I don't have phone number handy, it is in AWOL"s guide.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Bubba's # 276-266-6147 He is a great guy.

Journal Entries

Thanks everyone! I will definitely check it out in the Spring once my son returns from deployment.

Let me know if I can help you in that area - I have a cabin about 3/4 mi from Va 615 Laurel Creek. Bubba is the man for shuttles in that area and if I'm around I try to help with his overflow as much as possible when he's slammed. [Nightcrawler (864) 221-6410 small donations only]

Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++