WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best camera for a thru-hike that isn't a phone camera

What cameras are people using for their thru-hike? I knot that a lot of people these days are just using their smart-phones, but I'd like to carry something that takes better quality pictures than my phone does (and I'm not about to buy a new phone just to get a better camera).

Ideally, it'd be a camera that can recharge via USB. Also something that is at least a little bit weather resistant.

How is the current generation of waterproof cameras? I tried one back in 2011 but ended up returning it as the photo quality was abysmal. I would have to imagine that they've improved since. Do any of them allow recharging via USB? (The ones I've looked at don't seem to have this option.)

Thanks in advance...

go pro 4 session. it's tiny, runs he @ 1080p 60 ps, camera 8mp wide lens, mounts on trek poles, or anythi mg else. fully submersible to 30 feet. SIM cards easy to extract data

Quote Originally Posted by snicklefitz View Post
    go pro 4 session. it's tiny, runs he @ 1080p 60 ps, camera 8mp wide lens, mounts on trek poles, or anythi mg else. fully submersible to 30 feet. SIM cards easy to extract data
    I'll look into it, thanks. Can you lock the exposure on a Go Pro (for taking panoramic shots)?

Video also really isn't that important to me.

I guess I should've specified that I am also looking for something that gives me a little bit of control over exposure, frame-rate, etc.

I'm familiar only with the Lumix brands, but sure there are lots of other out there.
    There are three options that come to mind:

1. Superzoom:
    Very long zoom, perfect for shy wildlife.
    Reasonable cost and weight, quite bulky dimensiones.
    Not waterproof.

2. Travelzoom
    Quite long zoom, charges via USB, reasonable cost, low weight, pocket dimensiones.
    Be prepared to have to recharge the TZ quite often.
    Might meet your needs quite perfect

3. Outdoor
    Low zoom, everything else like (2)
    Waterproof.

In all cameras above there is not really much you can do in manual settings, in means of artistic photo works. Given the small sensor size, the lens makes a very wide depth-of-field. Also, the max. aperture on most lenses is quite low. Both factors, being physical facts, just limit the possibilities.
    On the other hand, the software in all these cameras is very highly developed and most likely will provide you with lots of amazing shots.

I had a Lumix Travelzoom TZ41 once, bought in EU and first thing brought it on a trip to the US.
    Rode up Yosemity, stopped at the parking lot, turned right and took a shot of this huge waterfall gushing down in the distance... then, a text travelling over the screen told me "BRIDALVEIL FALL YOSEMITY USA".
    Later, I dropped the TZ full-dip in a stream. It survived (had to dry it out for a few days though). It didn't survive a drop-to-the-ground with extended lens weeks later, unfortunately.
    Now I'm back to a Superzoom... I like the better ergonomy, longer zoom lens and longer battery life. Just my personal preference.

Images

The "best" depends on how you define it.

The best image quality in a small camera is the Sony RX100 series, there are four of them. They have a much larger sensor than a typical p+s camera, so image quality is also much better. The RX100iv is current, costs about $1000, has a decent fast zoom lens and a useful pop-up viewfinder so one can hold the camera up to the eye to shoot. Earlier models can be had used for much less money, but none are cheap.

Beyond that, pretty much any small camera will outperform a phone. Look for a wide angle zoom lens and optical image stabilization.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The latest generation of phone cameras is actually closing the gap with the cheap point and shoots.. For example, my LG V10 smartphone has a 1.8 lens, manual controls, shoots RAW, and has a microUSB + removable battery.. Not waterproof, nor small, but dual purpose..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

The RX100 series are very good, though pricey unless you drop down to the II. Canon's G7X is nice too but also pricey. A word about the Go Pro. It's an action camera. It's not going to do stills as well and it tends to narrow it's focus. Great for movement and focusing on an object but not a good all-around camera. I use a Sony Action Cam on my hikes but it's like the Hero and I'm primarily recording. I use my phone for stills but I am also looking for a good camera. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $500+ for it yet.

Images

Well I upgraded to an Olympus Tough Series TG-4 that shoots in RAW also, it is waterproof, shockproof to 2.1 meters and handles cold to 14*f it is 16MP and goes from off to focused and shooting in about a second. It has some nice software on board for panoramic shots setup with in cam stitch among other things.

Images

Glad to see another camera thread. I'm counting down - about a week to go - and I'm still using my Samsung TL 105. Spots on the back screen, but still working.

I'm still wanting another CAMERA - with Amazon Prime, I can get it pretty fast BUT:

I'd like to hear about the button/shutter speed(s) of whatever you are using to date. Too many of the demo cameras in the stores are VERY slow when the button is popped. People walking by are blurry or completely out of the screen by the time the shutter snaps. I

'm pretty much satisfied with ALL the photo qualities I've seen. I'm not a pro photographer, so I'm easily satisfied.
    Last edited by Old Hiker; 02-19-2016 at 18:14. Reason: I'm an idiot ?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Regarding button/shutter speed, the time from pressing the button to release the shutter isn't that long in newer models, and its written in the tech docs usually. Might typically be several 1/10 seconds or so.
    But add to this the time to switch on the cam, let it extend the lens and wait for the autofocus to work, your shy wildlife might be gone.

Consider things like ease of uploading your image files, and charging. My point and shoot that takes nice pictures, can only be charged by removing the the battery, and putting it in it's own dedicated wall charger. The wifi function is annoyingly complicated to set up and incredibly slow for uploading pics. It also fails miserably at taking selfies, which might be important if you want to record your interactions with friends met along the way.

I use the Olympus TG-3 and really like it. waterproof, great controls for exposure, etc. The new TG-4 is even better according to the reviews. It is supposed to have the best picture of any tough camera.

Default go pro

It already shoots widescreen, there isn't a zoom though. You can set it up for video, still shot, or time lapse. What I like about is its tiny, durable, and can WiFi to your smart phone for remote control so you can shoot yourself. Plus it's super versatile for mounting, I've got a small mount on my trek pole, and another on my backpack strap.
    Gonna be a great journey, Im chomping at the bit to get started!

Don't know about best. I doubt there is one best anything for any activity you can think of. I doubt that I will ever thru hike any trail. Although a traverse of the Wind River Range has my interest.
    All that said, I can envision taking my M-5 and Dual Range Summicron on backpacking trips.
    A darn shame that I couldn't also use Kodachrome on such a trip.
    I don't expect anyone to understand that but me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

A basic $100 ball park "point and shoot" is all you need. Something reasonably small, light and easy to use.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post

Ideally, it'd be a camera that can recharge via USB. Also something that is at least a little bit weather resistant.

The USB recharging is a nice feature. I am finally to the point where my phone, e-reader and camera all use the same charger. It's quite convenient.

go pro is a jab charge

usb, spellcheck!

I understand Kodachrome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++