WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ghosts, Monsters and Legends on the AT

For the past year, I've been researching and collecting stories of the paranormal from the AT for a book I hope to write. If anyone has any experiences to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, for those starting out on their thru hike this year, if you end up encountering anything out of the ordinary, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by jayleigh75 View Post
    For the past year, I've been researching and collecting stories of the paranormal from the AT for a book I hope to write. If anyone has any experiences to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, for those starting out on their thru hike this year, if you end up encountering anything out of the ordinary, please let me know!
    Sounds interesting. How about you share some of your stories with us!

I've heard stories of this hairy wolf just north of the Tn/Va line, known to howl at the moon, turn angry, call for dinosaurs. Pretty ugly too!

Front Royal - Mountain Home - Civil War Hospital - its pretty spooky

IMG_3104.JPG
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 02-20-2016 at 09:54.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I had heard stories and confirmed the existence of a very old house in PA- with cobwebs covering the ceilings and walls, giant spiders roaming freely, and floors that seem to undulate when you walk on them. Photo albums are available to look at if you ask-ala The Shining- showing pictures of the structure back some hundred years. Vickie is in every picture, even 100 years ago! (i made that part up- but the rest is true) I think you could devote an entire chapter to the Doyle. If there is such a thing as paranormal...its lurking in that wonderful old place.

Journal Entries
    Images

Blair Witch lurks near Crampton Gap Shelter:
    image.jpeg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

There's a couple of stories over here:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...med?highlight=
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I had heard stories and confirmed the existence of a very old house in PA- with cobwebs covering the ceilings and walls, giant spiders roaming freely, and floors that seem to undulate when you walk on them. Photo albums are available to look at if you ask-ala The Shining- showing pictures of the structure back some hundred years. Vickie is in every picture, even 100 years ago! (i made that part up- but the rest is true) I think you could devote an entire chapter to the Doyle. If there is such a thing as paranormal...its lurking in that wonderful old place.
    The Doyle isn't too far from where I live, so I'm hoping to have a chance to go visit and talk with the owners- either while section hiking or by driving there

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Blair Witch lurks near Crampton Gap Shelter:
    image.jpeg
    I'm well acquainted with the haunts and legends of MD, sorry to say the Blair Witch is simply a Hollywood creation. There are, however, actual Civil War ghosts at Crampton Gap. Some say you can hear the sounds of battle and even see ghosts of the soldiers that died in battle there.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlaze View Post
    Sounds interesting. How about you share some of your stories with us!
    My son's favorite is the Cherokee legend of Spearfinger, a witch that has an obsidian finger that she uses to kill her victims. She preys on children in the woods, stbs them in the side with her "spear finger" and eats their livers. Once she has done that, she has the ability to shape shift into the appearance of the person she has eaten which allows her to walk into the village and into the homes of the recently departed. Then she proceeds to eat the entire family.

Here are a few more stories; I tell of a terrifying time when I was roared at when climbing Katahdin, apparently there are a lot of encounters in that part of Maine. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...t=#post1284387

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh, you meant real ones, not just scary stories.
    There is the "Snarley Yow", which I'd swear was on the trail in front of me on a night transit in that area. At first I thought I had startled some bed down dear as I was hiking along, except they were running at me rather than away. I always joke with people to beware of the Yeti, so the sight of an overly large gangly shadow dog freaked me out completely...

I'm well acquainted with the haunts and legends of MD, sorry to say the Blair Witch is simply a Hollywood creation. There are, however, actual Civil War ghosts at Crampton Gap. Some say you can hear the sounds of battle and even see ghosts of the soldiers that died in battle there.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Here are a few more stories; I tell of a terrifying time when I was roared at when climbing Katahdin, apparently there are a lot of encounters in that part of Maine. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...t=#post1284387
    Awesome, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Oh, you meant real ones, not just scary stories.
    There is the "Snarley Yow", which I'd swear was on the trail in front of me on a night transit in that area. At first I thought I had startled some bed down dear as I was hiking along, except they were running at me rather than away. I always joke with people to beware of the Yeti, so the sight of an overly large gangly shadow dog freaked me out completely...
    Ah, the good ole Snarly Yow! Also there's the Snallygaster- so feared back in the day that Teddy Roosevelt considered postponing his African safari to hunt it down.

Cool reports coming out of the Hudson River Valley area, i.e. in the area of Bear Mountain Bridge. This is a video on UFO's, but there's also some interesting ghost stories from that area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCSDiK5M__Q

Cool reports coming out of the Hudson River Valley area, i.e. in the area of Bear Mountain Bridge. This is a video on UFO's, but there's also some interesting ghost stories from that area.

Awesome, thanks! I will check it out

My son's favorite is the Cherokee legend of Spearfinger, a witch that has an obsidian finger that she uses to kill her victims. She preys on children in the woods, stbs them in the side with her "spear finger" and eats their livers. Once she has done that, she has the ability to shape shift into the appearance of the person she has eaten which allows her to walk into the village and into the homes of the recently departed. Then she proceeds to eat the entire family.
    That's excellent. As a Dad who enjoys spooking the little ones with campfire stories, I'll keep this one in mind. Bonus points for involving Cherokee Indians.

Great. I don't only have to worry about bears and cannibals on the trail, now I have to worry about alien abduction?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Uncle Nick Grindstaff
    Shelton Graves

Not on but near the AT:
    Lost Cove on Flattop Mtn
    The old Cherokee camp site in Rocky Fork
    Mt Washington Resort
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Didn't read through all the posts, so, maybe this has been mentioned.
    Not on the trail BUT.....
    But, north of the AT crossing @ Eckville PA, about a mile up the road is a haunted house.
    It's been documented I believe.
    I remember reading an article in the local paper a few years ago about it.
    Not sure all the details but apparently there are ghosts there.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

This falls under an "eerie" personal experience: It was my last night of a 3.5 day section hike from I-81 to Damascus in early June 2007. I had rolled into the Saunders Shelter at sunset after a beautiful 24-mile day. I set up my tent well behind the shelter on the edge of the trees, and before I settled in for the night I went to the other side of the open area to relieve myself over the embankment. As I was getting ready to go, my eyes adjusted to the darkness and caught sight of what appeared to be two lightning bugs...except that they were steadily glowing dots instead of blinking. I zipped up, walked the 20 yards or so back to my tent, and was zipping up my tent door when I saw the dots rapidly approaching my tent across the field. I let out an involuntary yell and they veered off between my tent and the shelter. The shelter occupants asked if everything was okay, but I couldn't explain what I had just seen unless it was a small, quick, very very silent animal whose eyes reflected what little light was available. Took me a while to get to sleep.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++