WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Default Tendon injury from NOT hiking?

Hey all:
    Is it possible for an injury or condition to crop up due to becoming a little too "inactive"? I hiked all summer and was very active, but lately have been a bit lazy due to a demanding office schedule. I've developed a problem with my left achilles/lower calf where it feels constantly "cramped" like it needs stretching. It hurts at rest and when being used. Is this from atrophy?
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Newb,

I have the EXACT same problem. If I'm running every day, then my left ankle is fine. If I take a week or more off, then I wake up with it throbbing, it hurts to walk on, etc. The things I do to help is to wrap it when I do run, and to wear boots instead of shoes for the extra support. Also, stretching in the morning and throughout the day really helps. The stretch pictured on this site (http://tms.ecol.net/fitness/calfstr.htm) can be done anywhere. Good luck!
    Don't forget the songs that made you smile and the songs that made you cry, when you lay in awe on your bedroom floor and said, "Oh, oh, smother me, Mother!"

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

These types of issues can also be exacerbated by some other, seemingly unrelated injury that your body is trying to accommodate. I play a lot of soccer, and it's not uncommon for something to flare up in my right calf after I recover from a left hamstring pull, for example. Orthotics may help, or you might try a deep-tissue (aka, "sports") massage where the therapist attempts to get your back and leg muscles into alignment.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Yes this is just like people who work out, then stop. Their muscle mass turns to fat.

In your case I'd suggest that you stretch at least 2 times per day and at night if possible use ice. Remember RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Vitamin I if you need it, no more that 3200 milligrams per day.

IN my experience in Sports Medicine (no I'm not a Doc, I'm a Nurse) this happens a lot, just think of your first few days on the trail, you probably experienced the same type symptoms, but the next day after awhile it felt better.

Hope this helps,

gumby
    Namaste

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    Yes this is just like people who work out, then stop. Their muscle mass turns to fat.
    ??? When I stop working out, the muscles I have devloped (shoulders/arms/ chest/legs) do not turn to fat. They just go away. Arms, chest etc just get smaller. My gut gets bigger, but it isn't from muscle. It's from the junk food I tend to eat when I'm not working out, combined with no exercise.
    Frosty

Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

Wink

Lots of good advice here - especially the stretching and the ice. I'd stay away from the meds unless you really need them; if you can't feel it, you can damage it more, because you will use it and miss the warning signs.

Also, per Frosty, your muscles don't turn into fat, but the fat cells like to plump up when you eat all sorts of non-essential "goodies". Your body sends fuel where it needs it; if your brain "sees" you aren't using your leg muscles, it will send the energy someplace you are using it.

Stretching by doing heel lifts on a stair are perfect; do both legs to start, then the "good" leg individually, then the "bad" leg. You'll get a better stretch that way. Also, make sure your footwear is giving you adequate arch support. Sometime an ACHILLES problem can morph or mask a plantar fasciitis in the making. That is a royal pain to work out.

Just my .02, Sue (yes, I am a Doc!)
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

++ New Posts ++