WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best pop tarts?

Default Best pop tarts?

I've never really eaten many pop tarts but wanting to try on my sup expedition race in a few weeks...love oatmeal but paddling 45-60 mpd I don't want to cook or clean breakfast....good variety from the staple of cliff bars, protein bars, gorp and jerky.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Well, the real thing is a must. Dont ever buy the store brand.

But honestly, i cant choke down poptarts anymore. Not to mention they make a crumbly mess. Chocolate are OK.

They do get smashed up in the pack. They no longer make the chocolate creme. Cherry is ok. I only take a pack or 2 as I am mostly over pop-tarts.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Natures Path brand makes killer "pop tarts" that have a little more substance than the original kind.

S'mores are the best! Just wish I could find a lightweight battery run toaster.

Easily Brown Sugar Cinnamon

I grew up on brown sugar cinnamon. I rember when they first came out with the frosting that won't melt in a toaster - a milestone of food engineering. They are the only pop tart for me.

Images

Wildlicious. Hands down. It's not really a flavor... but then, are Pop Tarts really food? Whatever the case, I'm sure I ate my weight in these things on the trail and I never got tired of this "flavor". Also, consider keeping the tarts in the box they come with. Like everyone else out there I got rid of the all the extra packaging for everything else, but the Pop Tart box is just strong enough to keep them from smashing in your pack (usually) - a small price to pay for tarts with integrity.

Strawberry iced.

Images

Raspberry iced. Not available south of Virginia, sadly. +1 on getting the real thing.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

wildlious. got to love poptarts. the food that never goes stale, cause it never was fresh.

The best pop tart flavor is the one that's in my hand. We upped their game recently by adding cream cheese between two tarts to make one big fat pop cream or cheese tart

Choices....choices...choices...I'm a health conscious person normally but out on trail I tend to crave junk!!!!go figure!

Journal Entries

Brown Sugar Cinnamon is my go to but I love to mix in frosted blueberry too (it doesn't seem as overwhelmingly sweet to me as some of the others.)

Blueberry is my favorite. On my hike I thought the Kroger brand was the best.

Pop tarts are a gateway food to sugar addiction. I tried them different varieties a few years ago and they all have a lingering chemical taste, in my opinion, followed by a huge sugar rush that lasts an hour or two and then leaves you craving more. (Ditto for Little Debbies pies.) I will eat them if I am desperate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Well, the real thing is a must. Dont ever buy the store brand.

But honestly, i cant choke down poptarts anymore. Not to mention they make a crumbly mess. Chocolate are OK.
    Have to disagree here. I haven't had one lately, but when they started advertising Smuckers fillings, they started skimping on the fillings, and they became dry and inedible. The store brand was far superior to the brand name at that point.

Maybe I'll have to buy a box of each... for science.

Virginia Tortoise

You can buy a plastic pop tart holder in most grocery stores that will keep your pop tarts intact while in your pack. It holds a 2 pack of pop tarts. My favorites are strawberry iced, brown sugar cinnamon iced and blueberry iced.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I grew up on brown sugar cinnamon. I rember when they first came out with the frosting that won't melt in a toaster - a milestone of food engineering. They are the only pop tart for me.
    None better!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    The best pop tart flavor is the one that's in my hand. We upped their game recently by adding cream cheese between two tarts to make one big fat pop cream or cheese tart
    True genius! My mouth waters at the thought of a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart cream cheese sandwich. Some bacon would make a savory addition.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

The best pop-tart is the one you didn't eat. It may be full of calories but there is a difference between good and bad calories for energy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++