WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bly Gap access?

Default Bly Gap access?

Hi Guys/Gals,
    I am wanting to start out at the NC GA border next week at Bly Gap and hike to Wesser. First, I don't need a Smokey Mountain permit until I enter the National Park right? Second, if I drive up Eagle Fork road off from 64 is there an access to the trail there? If not, where would you suggest getting on? Thanks in advance for any help! captainmatty

Images

Nearest trailhead is Dicks Creek Gap. No permit required to Wesser. Highly recommend getting guide book for the trail. I even bought the Forest Service map for the area to see the side trails to section hike the Nantahala forest.

Looks like you might be able to get close, with in a couple of miles, but finding the trail from where ever the Bly Gap road dead ends in the woods would be a problem. Once past the last shack which passes as a house on that road and it probably turns into an ATV trail. And it sure the heck isn't someplace you'd want to leave a car at if that is the plan. Your much better off starting at Dicks Creek Gap.

You need to get your permit for the park before you get there. There are a couple of places you can do that at (you need internet access and a printer) but your better off just doing it before you leave home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

8.9 miles south of Bly Gap is Dicks Gap , 6.9 miles north of Bly gap is Deep Gap
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I was through there this past Friday. There was a Jeep at Blue Ridge Gap dirt road. According to the guide it's 3.3 miles south of Bly Gap.

Ron Brown would know if this access was open this time of year.

Blue Ridge Gap is the solution to this problem. Shuttle driver with high ground clearance vehicle can take you right to the trail.

I have driven right up to Blue Ridge Gap and parked my Outback twice this past year. The road was repaired last summer, but I would check with the Forest Service on it's condition now. For years it was impassable without high ground clearance.

++ New Posts ++