WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smokey Mountains 5 or 6 night backpacking loop

Anyone have any suggestions for a nice 5 or 6 night loop in the smokies? I'd really rather not have to spend my nights in a shelter. Would much rather sleep in my tent.
    Thanks!

Images

there are a ton of possibilities.....

just depends upon how much mileage and elevation gain you want to do....

one example would be to start at clingmans----drop down into hazel creek.......cut over lakeshore..........then back up to clingmans.......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What kind of miles/day are you looking for?
    Do you have anything in particular you are interested in?
    The Smokies has water falls, fire towers, creeks, mountain vistas, historical structures.

But I must admit that because of the number of days that you've listed, similer to TNhiker, the first thing that came to mind was something that included LakeShore trail between Hazel Creek and Forney Creek.
    But even that is only a starting point. Next you have to decide where to approach that section of trail from:
    1. Clingman's Dome - TNhiker's suggestion. Start high, end with a climb.
    2. Road to Nowhere - Start your hike with a walk thru a 1/4 mile long tunnel.
    3. Fontana Dam - Check out the dam before/after your hike. Hike in from trail heads at the dam, or pay the shuttle boat to cross Fontana Lake and start at the old town of Proctor.
    4. Cades Cove - It's less than 14 miles from Lead Cove trail to campsite #84
    5. AT - If you don't mind spending some nights in a shelter, there a couple of options to make a loop out of the AT and Lake Shore.

Was thinking around 10 miles a day... I know I am constrained by the necessity to camp at designated campsites and get permits for those campgrounds...
    What would be the "must see" sights on a loop through GSMNT? Clingmans dome is one. Mt Leconte? The Chimneys? Cades Cove?

HooKoo, more interested in water falls and mountain vistas than fire towers or historical structures.
    Originally my girlfriend and I were planning to do the AT through the park using a shuttle to start at Fontana Dam, but we really were turned off by the idea of sleeping in the shelters...
    Getting my detailed map today, so will look into Lakeshore trail between Hazel and Forney Creeks... Wouldnt mind using a shuttle service if need be if there is a great trail that doesnt end in a loop

the AT traces the main ridgeline of the Smokies where most of the vistas are found (there and Leconte, which is also shelter only).

the Mt Sterling and Shuckstack Firetowers are two worthy vistas I can think of with tent camping nearby.

...oh, and High Rocks over off Welch Ridge

Images

HooKoo, more interested in water falls and mountain vistas than fire towers or historical structures.

well...........how bout a mixture of some of that?

take the AT out to welch ridge-----that part of AT is on one of the best scenic ridges (imo) in the park.........hang left on welch ridge.......go a little----hit hazel creek.............that trail follows the progression of the hazel creek from basically a small little stream and then going downhill, the creek gets bigger and bigger...

once down in hazel creek----there's a ton of history in that area----cemeteries...old houses......etc..........and history such as this, is a big component of the Park.....

then maybe go up cold spring gap to high rocks---where you'll have an excellent view.............then either continue welch ridge back to AT.............or go down bear creek into the forney creek watershed.....

then take forney up to the area of clingmans and if you are in the mood---check out andrews bald......

tons of campsites along that route.........

Images

the Mt Sterling and Shuckstack Firetowers are two worthy vistas I can think of with tent camping nearby.

depends upon how "nearby" it really needs to be...

like campsite 13.........while not on the bald, its a short hike up to the bald.........

campsite 113 along the AT----in winter----looks back over to the bald but not a sweeping view......

but, after that---like ashe's says----main views are on ridges where generally campsites are not located...

Thanks for all the info!
    Unfortunately Amazon screwed up the shipping on my trail map. I should receive it tomorrow and try to make a plan this weekend.
    After I do, I'll post it here, and get your feedback!
    You guys ROCK!

Images

use that "dollar map" link i posted earlier...

that will give ya a good layout of the area.....

just think of the AT as the ridge and sorta but not really (as there's other ridges) everything goes down hill from there.....

and once you get your map---just compare............which will also lead to long staring at the map trying to figure out other routes.......

if you didnt get the little brown book---i highly recommend that as well.........that will show an elevation profile of the trails, along with giving descriptions of the trails....

Little Brown Book?
    I have the AT Guide by David Miller... But thats green... LOL

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oaharoni View Post
    Little Brown Book?
    http://www.amazon.com/Smokies-Mounta.../dp/0937207152
    For sale at all the gift shops around the Smokies. Gives a narrative and elevation profile of every official back country trail in the park.

Images

and is generally considered to be the best guidebook for the trails in the Park.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What time of year are you planning to make this hike?
    What day of the week are you planning to start?
    I ask because I've got a few ideas regarding loops that start/end in and around Cades Cove, but you want to be coordinated with the fact that from May thru September, they close the loop to vehicle traffic before 10:00am on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Planning on starting April 16th, Saturday.

Ok guys, looking at the map and some of your suggestions, came up with this.
    What do you think about this route?
    Day 1 - Ferry to Hazel creek trail access, take Lakeshore trail to Campsite 76 - 11.7 Miles
    Day 2 Lakeshore trail to Forney Creek Trail, stay at campsite 71 - 12.5 miles
    Day 3 Forney Creek Trail up to Clingman's dome, take the AT and stay at the Double Gap Shelter - 12.2 Miles
    Day 4 - AT to welch ridge trail, down hazel creek trail to Campsite 83 - 12.5 miles.
    Day 5 - Hazel creek to lakeshore trail to campsite 90 - 10.2 miles.
    Day 6 Either take ferry back or just hike out to Fontana Dam, see the Dam and get a cab back to our car at the marina.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Thanks!

Images

"Get a cab back to our car at marina"

ha....

youre either walking it or hitching it in those parts......

that area aint like nyc where one can just hail a cab...

(I'll write more once I'm on a real computer and not phone)

Images

alright....on real computer-----

---not a bad route...
    ----tons of history along the route......theres a ton of side trails along that route that lead to cemeteries.....

one thing to keep in mind---youll want to make up your mind whether to take ferry back across or hike out.......and make the plan with the marina..............while the marina does run fairly regularly, you'll want to make sure that they will pick you up if you need it.........dont necessary count on cell service (ive had reception at 76 oddly----but dont count on it).....

90 and 71 are heavily used sites...........but they are huge....

get reservations though..........

also---depending upon water level----boat shuttle may drop you off at ollie cove..........which is one mile to the east of hazel.................if you get a return shuttle---make sure you know where they will pick ya up..........

forney creek trail has some water crossings...........nothing too bad unless water is high.......

forney creek is a good uphill.........but fun............stop at the waterfall at 68...........

also, off trail in that area is an old boiler for a steam engine that they would use in the logging daze...........if you want directions---i can provide....

if you have the strength to add mileage----detour over to andrews for a view.....

if not, you'll get the views once you're up top on the AT....

coming down hazel-----side trails to cemeteries........also other history along route......

if you stay at 83----and want to add mileage---go back to bone valley and the cabin back there (you cant stay there though)

and like i said earlier----if you hike out lakeshore trail to dam----hitch or walk back to marina...

no public transportation unless you set up before hand..........and not sure how that would work really in that area...

its only about 3-4 miles from lakeshore trailhead to marina..........

the dam is interesting........visitor center is nice history of the dam and area...

and if you want a shower----free one at visitor center on the side of building......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++