WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Article: Resuppling within one miles from the Appalachian Trail for a thru hike

AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks! Good info...

Can this be made available as a .pdf file. Really good info. Thanks for the post.

I would also like to have this available as a .pdf so it could be copied for personal use. Thanks Atroll!

Thanks Atrol. You guys looking for a pdf try this: Right click the list; print; where your printer is listed you should have an option to "print to pdf" or something similar, choose that and print to a file.
    Has worked for me on several computers and file types, though I'm sure it depends on your computer and system. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for this!

I had found the same article on wanderingthewild.com and moved the items to a spreadsheet. For my thru hike attempt I added miles between towns so you can modify the days based on your hiking pace. It will also automatically recalc the days, so if you're running slow or fast adjustment is easy. Item in yellow is no longer in busy, all other locations double checked in the awol guide and a quick search on Google. I also have the address labels built into the sheet if you're doing mail drops and it should be easy to find and replace my name with yours. Feel free to download the spreadsheet from my website here: http://kenlipnickey.com/wp-content/u...pply-Plan.xlsx

This is wonderful information! Thank you for posting it, attroll. And Thank you, kenl, for the spreadsheet. Awesome!

This is GREAT! If you are using a Mac go to File > Export as PDF
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 04-07-2016 at 18:02.

Good work.....I would suggest double checking with the rural post offices. They are cutting hours and changing hours of operation like crazy.

Thanks guys... I've been trying to plan this for about a year. You just made my day.

GAME 06

Attroll

Just fwi there is a bad typo on your sheet for mile 1577.5 where the town is shown as Che****e, MA

There is a program called CutePDF that's free to download. It installs itself on your computer as a printer, then you can print any document to PDF for free. For those who needs PDFs...

You are the man, you've posted so much good stuff on this site you should get a medal!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

ATTroll,

Luray VA is almost exactly the halfway point between Waynesboro VA and Harpers Ferry WV. An increasing number of thru-hikers and long distance section hikers have found it to be a more satisfactory resupply point over the past decade than Front Royal. Luray has three supermarkets (including a WalMart), a Family Dollar, two Dollar Generals, lots of motels and restaurants from budget to fancy, a newish hostel, and an outfitter. It is also an official ATC trail town.

Hitching into Luray is not tough IF YOU DO THIS: When you come to US 211, hike east (gently uphill) about 0.1+ mile. Just on the other side of the Skyline Drive Bridge that goes over US211, put out your thumb. Unlike the AT crossing a little further west, there is room here for a driver to pull over to give you a ride. At the AT crossing, drivers have already started downhill/are moving too fast/nowhere to pull over. Also, westbound traffic exiting SNP can clearly see you up by the bridge before they turn onto US211. SNP visitors, being into trails, are your best bets for a ride.

Great list! I'd suggest also adding:
    -The Mohican Outdoor Center in Blairstown, NJ at mile 1303.5. It's only 0.3 miles off the AT. You can mail packages to them, and they also have a small camp store and deli (open May - Sep).
    -Buy at Dale's Market in Branchville, NJ, at mile 1321.4. It's only 1.6 miles east of the AT. Very good grocery selection and deli.
    -Buy at either A&P or Healthy Thymes market in Vernon, NJ at mile 1356.3. The A&P is 2.6 miles east of the AT.
    -Buy at Country Grocery Store in Greenwood Lake, NY (reopening 5/21/16) at mile 1369.3. It's only 0.9 miles east of the AT via the Village Vista Trail.

Don't know if this is where to put this, but The Econo Lodge in Marion Va. is sending back to the Marion PO packages sent if your name is not on the registration list. Currently the PO is holding them for awhile.This motel has not been very hiker friendly this year. I will be going in and talking with them soon.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I tried several times to get BJ to make this an active wiki and he wouldn't do it.

Agreeing with @SS/SB, you have definitely earned medal and a free beverage from each of us. Thanks!

Per some requests, here's a PDF:https://goo.gl/6oojkg

This should automatically download. Note: Edits are my own -- mostly for clarity and to help make Buy versus Mail to stand out. If anyone is interested, I will post a link to an editable spreadsheet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++