WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Over age 50 Hikers: Why are you hiking the AT in 2016?

I am interested in hearing from others who are in the over 50 age group who are committed to thru-hiking or doing a long section hike on the AT in 2016. What's your motivation for taking all the time, money, and effort required for such an undertaking? I'll start it off.

I chose to hike at this time because it is a good time for it. The kids are grown and doing well. My wife supports me in this and encourages me daily. I do feel like the window of opportunity begins to narrow as time goes by and there is no good excuse not to seize the moment. I just turned 58, I'm retired, and my health is good. I want to see and experience sights and challenges that I otherwise would miss living at sea level. I want to hear the stories of all sorts of extraordinary people that I would never had met. I want to push myself to achieve a lofty goal. That's my motivation. How about you?
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Good for you. Have a great hike.

CedarKey, I share many of the same motivations that you have listed. In my youth, growing up in northern NH, I day-hiked many (most) of the New England peaks. If I had had a bucket list when I was 12, it would have included a thru hike of the AT. I’ll be fulfilling a childhood fantasy. At age 66, my body is not in tiptop shape, but I’ve convinced myself that I can make it to Maine. I hit the trail in less than a month.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CedarKeyHiker View Post
    I am interested in hearing from others who are in the over 50 age group who are committed to thru-hiking or doing a long section hike on the AT in 2016. What's your motivation for taking all the time, money, and effort required for such an undertaking? I'll start it off.

I chose to hike at this time because it is a good time for it. The kids are grown and doing well. My wife supports me in this and encourages me daily. I do feel like the window of opportunity begins to narrow as time goes by and there is no good excuse not to seize the moment. I just turned 58, I'm retired, and my health is good.
    All these things (I was 57 when I did the trail), pretty much exactly. But most of all, long distance backpacking is just plain good old FUN.

Images

I like to go for a nice long walk (400miles or so) each spring. It seems to recharge my batteries. I call it sleeping with my Earth Mother while walking with my Spirit Father. Retirement has its perks.

Therapeutic reasons, mental and physical.

Images

I did my first thru hike of the AT when I was 51. Just left my job and did it. Mainly because it had been a dream for many many years and I just wanted that experience of a long distance hike.

I love to hike and I love a challenge. Since I am now 10 years older and since I left the trail last year in Damascus, the challenge is even greater. So I'm starting again at Springer. I intend to pass every white blaze and enjoy every moment that's possible to enjoy.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoeturner View Post
    CedarKey, I share many of the same motivations that you have listed. In my youth, growing up in northern NH, I day-hiked many (most) of the New England peaks. If I had had a bucket list when I was 12, it would have included a thru hike of the AT. I’ll be fulfilling a childhood fantasy. At age 66, my body is not in tiptop shape, but I’ve convinced myself that I can make it to Maine. I hit the trail in less than a month.
    I have no doubt you will fulfill your dream. Your story inspires me. I look forward to meeting you somewhere on the Trail. I'll be that chubby, white haired guy struggling along. Vaya con Dios!!! Bobby Bombero
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

I hike because I like the peace it gives me to be out there. It also helps me stay fit, and if I find I'm not "fit enough," I go home and work on it to get better for the next trip out. It also helps me mentally know that I can be tough enough to get through daily challenges. I recently had some serious health challenges, and while I was recovering (and feeling very put upon and sorry for myself), realized that I'd had tough challenges on the trail (times when I thought I'd die before I reached the top of the climb, or an injury on the trail made it difficult to hike out), that I could make it through that, because I'd done something equally tough on the trail. I did recover, and give credit to the AT for the memories that helped me do it.

I go for a long hike every year because I can and don't have anything better to do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    I hike because I like the peace it gives me to be out there. It also helps me stay fit, and if I find I'm not "fit enough," I go home and work on it to get better for the next trip out. It also helps me mentally know that I can be tough enough to get through daily challenges. I recently had some serious health challenges, and while I was recovering (and feeling very put upon and sorry for myself), realized that I'd had tough challenges on the trail (times when I thought I'd die before I reached the top of the climb, or an injury on the trail made it difficult to hike out), that I could make it through that, because I'd done something equally tough on the trail. I did recover, and give credit to the AT for the memories that helped me do it.
    I am a ditto of this post. I have found that I no longer fear or worry about what might or could happen to me on my hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    All these things (I was 57 when I did the trail), pretty much exactly. But most of all, long distance backpacking is just plain good old FUN.
    I undertook the trail last year because I thought it would be “fun”. Had to exit at Pinkham Notch (X-rays showed 3 broken toes). My plan is to finish this year. So far, this has been a really great experience. Met impressive people, learned new skills, and appreciated a sense of accomplishment. At age 64 however, it was not “fun”.

I am 56 but not really that close to retirement so the potential for a long distance hike is a bit in the future. But if I were to do that (now or later), I always though I would like to do a "through hike" rather than a "thru hike", with the difference being the objective. On a thru hike, the goal is to hike the whole trail. On a through hike, I arrange my schedule so I am free to hike as long and as far as I want (i.e until I'm through), recognizing that I don't really know what that will be at the beginning. If I hike the whole trial, great. If not, also great. (win-win). Most thru hikes fail. It's hard to fail on a through hike (unless you maybe hike more than you really want to?)

Hmm,

Two members of my family have recently died. Living in hospitals and taking care of their affairs have worn me down over the past year. What's more, my mother and my brother are in their final days and will likely not see next Christmas. Mom hasn't recognized me in three years and my brother is determined smoke himself to death. I stand torn facing the continuing tragedy of death in my family. I could stay at home waiting for another phone call or I can be out on the trail. My wife says to get going. I dunno. I seem to change my mind about it around once a week.

poopsy

Journal Entries
    Images

Because even though I'm 50 but I feel much younger like say 35 & I love to challenge my physical & mental abilities & no better place to do it than on a long distance hike!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Therapeutic reasons, mental and physical.
    ditto Puddlefish
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

CedarKeyHiker -- I think one of the key words from you post is "retired"; as we get further along in out careers is harder to find the time to do the hike. I would say that most (not all, but most) have to wait until retirement, and hope that their health is good enough. I plan on retiring in Feb of '18, and starting the trail in April (will be 65).

Best of luck in your adventure, and keep us posted. -- Greg/Grizhicks

Images

I started a Thur to win my body an mind back. Work was hard mentally an that wore my body down. I did not finish due to injury but will continue this year and I hope to finish next year. It is tough to see folks start to get stronger an start doing more miles. I must stay in my comfort zone as I already know doing greater than 15 miles a day will knock me off the trail again. Best of luck on your hike

I am on the bus for Atlanta. I am 66. I am looking to do the AT thru hike. I start on the trail on Sunday February 28. Good luck with your planning.

Woods and mountains feel like home to me...I have done many long sections but have to wait a few years before I can to my thru (flip-flop actually) because I want to get my black belt without a long break in training. The peace of nature keeps me coming back year after year!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++