WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiker Rescued

Default Hiker Rescued

http://www.wmur.com/news/hiker-rescu...27650#comments

This is why I don't hike alone in the winter. About a half hour from my house, this is one my go to hikes. A fairly easy hike, but with a big section of rocks in the middle, and a whole lot of smooth rocks and always windy above the treeline.

Was about 40 degrees yesterday, but the ground was still frozen. Temps dropped to 20 overnight. The dude was lucky his phone worked and they got him quickly.

Images

Going to be interesting to see if he will be charged for the rescue. My guess is, yes he will.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Sounds like he didn't have crampons, which is pretty stupid the day after an ice storm. If that is indeed the case, he should be charged for the rescue.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

No crampons on all this ice? He Should be charged. Small price to pay for an education.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    The dude was lucky his phone worked and they got him quickly.
    He was also lucky that the trail head in Orange is just 1.5 miles from the summit.

Y'all must've read a different article, the one the OP linked said nothing about crampons. What if the hiker had microspikes or Hillsounds, which may be more than practical for those conditions. The only comment in the article I saw was "Officials say that Ireland lacked much of the equipment needed for hiking in winter conditions". This opinion can include a lot of things or only a few things, though given NH policy, I would expect "officials" to make that statement for most all rescues. I've no clue where the list of "equipment needed" by season can be found, though if "officials" are saying that, if there is no list it would behoove them to establish one. I can imagine Tipi Walter in the debate about being irresponsible in those conditions.

I am glad the hiker is OK and things worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Y'all must've read a different article, the one the OP linked said nothing about crampons. What if the hiker had microspikes or Hillsounds, which may be more than practical for those conditions. The only comment in the article I saw was "Officials say that Ireland lacked much of the equipment needed for hiking in winter conditions". This opinion can include a lot of things or only a few things, though given NH policy, I would expect "officials" to make that statement for most all rescues.
    Given the fact the officials stated he lacked equipment and that he fell and hurt himself coming down, it's a good bet he didn't have any traction aid. It's possible he had Microspikes or something similar and still fell. While Microspikes are better then nothing, their not good for all conditions like really steep icy trail.

Images

From the tone of the articles I have read it sounds like the 'officials' did not think he was properly equipped, so I presume that he will be billed for the rescue. Anyone can slip and fall, but given the season I would think microspikes would be required at the very minimum.

One thing that annoys me reading the comments section on places like Boston.com is the number of posters seem to think that anyone who hikes alone is an irresponsible idiot who deserves to die. This guy may or may not be irresponsible, but I would hate to see this used as an argument that people should not be allowed to hike alone. I am an idiot who hikes alone, I enjoy the solitude and it is a freedom that I am not willing to give up.

IMG_0164.jpg

About half way up, the top portion of the picture is less trail like and more just a pile of rocks.

IMG_0166.JPG

Near the top.

You'll have to visualize the ice yourself.

Interesting that everyone jumps onto traction devices as a key possible culprit. Traction devices or not, we can all fall and hurt ourselves. What he was surely lacking was adequate insulation and/or maybe the knowledge to keep moving to keep warm, even with pain, if needed.

The article also touts the fast medical response, which reads like they showed up at the tail-head after fellow hikers got him out. It sounds to me like the other hikers on the trail are the real heros with a gracious nod to the emergency medical people as well.

Maybe we can take this even a bit further and ask why the other people on the trail were not equipped to warm him up without having to move him.

As for solo hiking, I summited Mount Monroe and Mount Washington yesterday. It was beautiful. Actually, I did have a hiking partner, my dog. Of course, if I had fallen, climbing by myself, I still probably would have bowled over one of the other 100 people that were on the mountain yesterday also.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Interesting that everyone jumps onto traction devices as a key possible culprit. Traction devices or not, we can all fall and hurt ourselves. What he was surely lacking was adequate insulation and/or maybe the knowledge to keep moving to keep warm, even with pain, if needed.

The article also touts the fast medical response, which reads like they showed up at the tail-head after fellow hikers got him out. It sounds to me like the other hikers on the trail are the real heros with a gracious nod to the emergency medical people as well.

Maybe we can take this even a bit further and ask why the other people on the trail were not equipped to warm him up without having to move him.

As for solo hiking, I summited Mount Monroe and Mount Washington yesterday. It was beautiful. Actually, I did have a hiking partner, my dog. Of course, if I had fallen, climbing by myself, I still probably would have bowled over one of the other 100 people that were on the mountain yesterday also.
    I'm fairly certain I'd half kill myself dragging a broken leg to the trailhead before I'd go through the embarrassment of calling for rescue. No, don't mind me, it's just a flesh wound!

My solo day hiking rule is that I don't hit the trail unless I have along the equipment to survive the overnight low temp. I know I don't have the right winter equipment, so I don't hike in the winter. Maybe next year.

Images

Is it common for rescues hikers to get charged for rescues? Even it they are negligent? From what I understand, that is extremely rare out here (to get charged, pretty much no matter what). But, it has become obvious to me since I joined WB and hiked the AT that things are very, very different back there in the east (not better, not worse, just very different).

NH bills negligent hikers for rescue costs they incur. This article about sums it up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nh-bills...ost-of-rescue/

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Is it common for rescues hikers to get charged for rescues? Even it they are negligent? From what I understand, that is extremely rare out here (to get charged, pretty much no matter what). But, it has become obvious to me since I joined WB and hiked the AT that things are very, very different back there in the east (not better, not worse, just very different).
    Especially if they are negligent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    NH bills negligent hikers for rescue costs they incur. This article about sums it up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nh-bills...ost-of-rescue/
    Interesting! Different strokes. Seems like NH is the only one.

Colorado is even mentioned as being so philosophically different: "If it had happened in Colorado, he would have been applauded for being able to survive for three days," said Paul "Woody" Woodward, president of Colorado's Alpine Rescue Team. "New Hampshire is way out on their own on this one."

Journal Entries

If he had the hike safe card, dont matter what you do, you wont be charged.
    In NH you would be stupid not to spend the $25

The ease of access of masses of people to mountains known for deadly sudeen weather changes in NH is the difference

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If he had the hike safe card, dont matter what you do, you wont be charged.
    In NH you would be stupid not to spend the $25

The ease of access of masses of people to mountains known for deadly sudeen weather changes in NH is the difference
    Not true - only negligence is forgiven. According to the HikeSafe website (link in Pie Guy's post above) "An individual may still be liable for response expenses, however, if such person is deemed to have recklessly or to have intentionally created a situation requiring an emergency response."

Apparently there is a body being taken down off Mt Adams today. No details as to what happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

[. . .]

Winter hiking in the Whites (or near the Whites like Cardigan) can require a variety of traction - bareboot, microspikes, crampons, technical snowshoes. No traction is necessarily, but it is arguably negligent to continue hiking if you reach a point where your lack of appropriate traction creates an unreasonable risk. I have been 5 miles into a hike and turned around when I hit ice that required crampons (that had been left in the car thinking I could avoid the weight). I have also gone up some spots in microspikes or snowshoes that in hind sight I should have stopped to switching into crampons. Where the negligence line gets drawn is debatable -- but there is a line somewhere.

I completely agree that nsherry61 that sufficient insolation is essential equipment for winter hiking. Many winter hikers in the Whites carry a bivy sack and down sleeping bag, even on relatively short day hikes, especially when hiking solo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++