WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Water crossings with or w/out footwear?

Do most people remove their socks/shoes before crossing a creek?? I am not referring to small creeks where one could easily jump from rock to rock.

I picture the AT to have a fair share of water crossings for the potential of water logged shoes. I would think people would want to keep their feet as dry as possible but I have seen some recent video footage of the AT where hikers step into water with their footwear on. I understand removing socks/shoes is time consuming and a pain but is it not worth it? Thanks in advance for your advice!

I usually take my chances. if I know I'm going to get wet, I take off shoes and socks, replace shoes, cross, take off shoes, replace socks and shoes, and continue walking. If my feet are already wet, I just keep walking.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I don't remember any stream crossings where I couldn't rock hop before Maine. By that time I was used to having wet feet. I'd remove my socks and take out my insoles before crossing. I may have stopped and gotten out my crocs to cross once but since they were open toe I used them mostly for camp only.

The only place where you have to get you feet wet crossing a stream is up in the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine. Having slipped off a mossy rock fording one of these streams barefoot and breaking a toe in the process, I highly recommend taking your socks off and then put the boots back on. Unless you want to risk terminating your hike due to a broken toe, or worse.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not on the AT, but I have a light pair of deck shoes from Walmart for water crossings and for use in camp

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Here's the 411

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...d%20Rivers.pdf

Note that it VERY clearly states, "Ford with your boots on." No "if" or "unless" or "but."

IMHO, this isn't even a matter of discussion -- I would NEVER consider crossing even a three inch stream in bare feet. Sharp rocks, slippery footing, possible metal or glass in the water -- it's just too much of a risk. The inconvenience of wet boots is NOTHING compared to the very real danger of slipping during a water crossing.

Garlic
    Images

Here's a variation that works nicely sometimes: Take out your insoles and put them inside your socks to make pretty decent water shoes. It's not the best idea for all conditions, but a nice tool to put in the toolbox.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

In normal conditions you won't have to ford anything until ME but you never know when you'll get a surprise from flash flooding. When I crossed Antietam Creek down in MD after a night of heavy rain it was over my knees and 25' wide. I leave footwear on when crossing whether it's water shoes or hiking shoes. Easy to lose your balance on slimy rocks or get stuck by something sharp when crossing barefoot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...d%20Rivers.pdf

Note that it VERY clearly states, "Ford with your boots on." No "if" or "unless" or "but."

IMHO, this isn't even a matter of discussion -- I would NEVER consider crossing even a three inch stream in bare feet. Sharp rocks, slippery footing, possible metal or glass in the water -- it's just too much of a risk. The inconvenience of wet boots is NOTHING compared to the very real danger of slipping during a water crossing.

screw that....

i would take boots off and put on crocs or some other waterproof sandals....

a wet boot is a wet boot...........

Journal Entries

Normally shoes on
    Might take socks off to keep dry in cooler weather.

I will ford sand and smooth polished riverrock barefoot

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool I'd hold off screwing

The advice was NOT to keep your boots on as opposed to using some other footwear (which is how I've crossed streams), but wearing footwear instead of bare feet.
    The next sentence states, "Crossing barefoot is never recommended..."
    Which is the question asked by the OP -- footwear or no footwear.
    If your boots are the only thing you have to cover your feet when you approach a water crossing, then the best advice is to get your boots soaking wet.

Having pulled off a toenail or two over the years, I tend to agree with Golden Bear in the use of footwear to make crossings. Most of the information one sees on the topic makes strong recommendations for it. The only exception I may make is if its only a step or two on a soft small gravel or sand base I can see clearly, I might think about a no shoe crossing.

Is there any fishing in the area - or upstream ? Is the ANY chance of lures or fishhook in the sand?

Are the rocks slippery with algae? Will it hurt when you slip, move your foot quickly to catch your balance, and whack it into another rock?

I'd remove my socks and keep my shoes on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWalker View Post
    Do most people remove their socks/shoes before crossing a creek?? ... Thanks in advance for your advice!
    On the AT and many other trails (I backpack every month of the year) over the years, I have tried many of the options. In the long run, I have rarely found it actually worthwhile to take off my shoes and socks. Crocs are dangerously slippery to me, having tried them and fallen more than once (even on "dry ground" when they are wet). As far as wet shoes, mine get wet from sweat, rain, dew, splashes, melting snow, fog, cloud, humidity, and a whole host of reasons. When I stop for lunch and/or long breaks, I take off my shoes and socks to air dry in the sunshine if possible. If I do cross a stream, and my shoes and socks do get wet, they dry over the course of a day just as much as they do from sweat and humidity, though I might swap out socks during the day and let them air dry on my pack.

One caveat is late in day in winter conditions I might make an exception. Otherwise, I march on through most water if it's unavoidable.

I agree that barefoot crossings can be extremely problematic and not worth the risk and pain.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

There arent any absolutes
    Two pics of my son crossing water at age 11
    first one.........shoes on

crossing.png

second one.........shoes off temp = 25F overnight, probably 30 at time crossed the creek.
    you should be able to discern why differences in approach

The colder it is, more important to keep feet dry after crossing or they will go numb in short time..

If rocks arent too gnarly, just socks may work good in cold weather. Then put on dry socks and shoes on other side.

If you really need to cross in real winter conditions, 20s in day, you may need separate shoes for crossing.

cold creek.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-28-2016 at 17:48.

I never cross water barefoot. Generally I simply cross with shoes, socks, and inserts in/on. If I take a break I may (or may not) take shoes off to dry. If trying to dry socks, I leave them on with the thought process of my body heat will work on the inside as the sun/wind work on the outside.

If I'm not in the mood for wet feet and my feet are generally dry I will remove socks and inserts and cross with shoes on. If time permits I may allow shoes to drain/dry a bit before putting inserts in and socks on.

In wintry conditions where wet feet, shoes, socks may pose a risk I will take separate water shoes. I use a generic croc.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmm m. the assumption here is that today all of us are wearing boots. Many are in trail runners or quality low riding knobby soled footwear that are by design going to get wet. IF you don't have leather uppers or ankle support and you decide to wear a quality poly pro "polyester blend" sock with no cotton .... Trudge right thru the stream. depending on how fast, how dry the conditions are your feet will be dry 10-30 minutes later. Still not convinced - a half hour or more later wring the sock out, hang the shoes that night. Try it on a local trail near home and pack a second pair of socks in case - I tested this on a canoe trip with 15 other canoes and went 100% head to toe in Poly and half way thru the trip - we flipped on a harsh bend. I was dry very quickly.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I prefer not to get my footwear wet if I can avoid it. If I can't see a way to keep them dry by crossing carefully on rocks and logs (trekking poles help you succeed at this), then I take them off and cross with some kind of water shoe (if I packed them) or barefoot (if I didn't). If my footwear is already sopping wet, then I may just splash through. YMMV
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I have sliced my bare skinned feet several times and now I always take the 5 min to unlace and put my crocs on.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

The strategy I use are to take my socks and insoles out of my boots, lace them back up again and slog through. I then use a bandanna to run through the inside of both shoes before reinserting the insoles. Dry off both feet with same bandanna, putting socks back on. ---- Wading across barefoot isn't an option .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++