WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

For what it's worth: Watching you tube tonight, a gentleman stated that he was number 260 on 3/1/16.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

This was just posted on FB:

People are wanting to know if this year will be any busier. At Amicalola State Park hikers starting the Approach Trail from Jan. 1 to March 1:
    2015 155 people
    2016 288 people

I guess that answers part of my question! I know it leaves out the Springer variable but it is still almost a 100% increase in that span.

Recall the weather last year was very cold and nasty from January through March, likely it kept the numbers down so I don't know how accurate that number is in context to weather.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    This was just posted on FB:

People are wanting to know if this year will be any busier. At Amicalola State Park hikers starting the Approach Trail from Jan. 1 to March 1:
    2015 155 people
    2016 288 people

I guess that answers part of my question! I know it leaves out the Springer variable but it is still almost a 100% increase in that span.
    Dang... So that means about 100 people went out on Labor Day, saw a horrible movie version of a good book and became so motivated that four to five months later they showed up to hike the AT in the dead of winter? I know this isn't the case, but the data on starts is telling.

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    Dang... So that means about 100 people went out on Labor Day, saw a horrible movie version of a good book and became so motivated that four to five months later they showed up to hike the AT in the dead of winter? I know this isn't the case, but the data on starts is telling.
    It could mean that to protect their collection of Brass Monkeys, a hundred or so people put off starting until the polar vortex diminished.

-

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    What does it mean if you are hiking this year and have not found the motivation to go see or rent the movie? What reply should I say to people I meet along the way who ask if I have seen the movie?
    wear a darth vader mask and tell them you watch "the movie" every evening on your phone - then rehearse the lines all night - great way to reduce shelter crowding

-

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    A Walk in the Woods? It was 75% garbage, 20% great soundtrack, and 5% nice overhead shots of famous AT locations. To be honest, if you haven't seen it you're not missing much.
    may not be good, but excelled vs the competition - it was the highest quality film footage of the trail - the only AT movie suitable for my non-hiker wife, really I have never been able to sit through any other AT movie

I honestly believe social media (Facebook) is having a bigger impact on the trail than the movie. People share posts, articles, videos, etc of the trail and it makes people interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    A Walk in the Woods? It was 75% garbage, 20% great soundtrack, and 5% nice overhead shots of famous AT locations. To be honest, if you haven't seen it you're not missing much.
    While I agree the movie wasn't even close to the book, I did enjoy the rapport between Bill and his friend Katz. I think it provided a little bit of insight for those who know nothing of the trail. There were some funny moments in the movie and I enjoyed it for what it was. It's not going to win any trail awards, and the ended sucked compared to the book, but hopefully it will drive more people to read his books which are great.

I noticed the registration numbers seem to be down from last year as well. At first I wanted to be optimistic and hoped that there wouldn't be an increase of hikers, but walking joe's points seem valid. A chart that showed last years registration numbers as they changed with time would be a much more helpful indicator than just the end totals.

Also, for those who know approximate dates, you should go ahead and register for your best guess. I originally registered to hike NOBO from springer March 15, but decided to leave a day earlier thanks to registration charts. I emailed them, and on the next chart that came out, there was actually 1 less hiker registered for the 15th, so that shows they are good about keeping it updated when plans change.

Registration numbers look up to me. It may be hard to see because last year is summarized into one chart, whereas 2016 is split among several. But for now, if we add those starting from Springer to those starting from Amicalola (not to mention the flips), it looks higher. For instance, compare this year 2/29 to last year 3/3.

When speaking about "official" thru-hiker sign-ins at Amicalola Falls State Park, it should be remembered that a very large percentage of contemporary thru-hikers opt to skip the Approach Trail to the summit of Springer; instead, they go 'round the back way (FS Road 42), head south for less than a mile, tag the summit and plaque, then turn around and head North. Thus, they never set foot in Amicalola Falls State Park, and subsequently don't "sign in" anywhere. In short, I'd be highly skeptical about any source that claims to have "official" numbers. The simple truth is that nobody really knows how many people start Northbound thru-hikes each year, and when numbers are bandied about, they are pretty much wild-ass guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Maybe the Revenant has changed some people's minds!! LOL

Turk---That is fantastic!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Maybe the Revenant has changed some people's minds!! LOL
    Yes! We watched the Revenant earlier this week. What a survival story! Some seriously tough people.

We saw the #1 NOBO in SNP at the end of February. Yes, it was Speedstick.
    Last weekend we did a dayhike north out of Carver's Gap. We saw no backpackers at all. I'm sure they're out there, but it doesn't look like there are very many of them north of the Smokies.

I have wanted to hike the AT for many years but if I had to pick a movie about it that was authentic (imho, fwiw) it would be Southbounders. That really fueled the fire. It's been a good bit ago but the stars finally aligned this year to make it possible.

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    When speaking about "official" thru-hiker sign-ins at Amicalola Falls State Park, it should be remembered that a very large percentage of contemporary thru-hikers opt to skip the Approach Trail to the summit of Springer; instead, they go 'round the back way (FS Road 42), head south for less than a mile, tag the summit and plaque, then turn around and head North. Thus, they never set foot in Amicalola Falls State Park, and subsequently don't "sign in" anywhere. In short, I'd be highly skeptical about any source that claims to have "official" numbers. The simple truth is that nobody really knows how many people start Northbound thru-hikes each year, and when numbers are bandied about, they are pretty much wild-ass guesses.
    Yeah Jack, but FS-42 has been the well known option for a while now, so that wouldn't be a variable as to differences in numbers of the past 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    may not be good, but excelled vs the competition - it was the highest quality film footage of the trail - the only AT movie suitable for my non-hiker wife, really I have never been able to sit through any other AT movie
    Must put in a plug for the best thru-hiking film ever: Long Start to the Journey.

Look it up (or use this link: http://www.theatmovie.com)

Journal Entries

I spoke to Amicalola Visitors Center March 15 at 4:30pm and 670 hikers had checked in thus far. That's 260 check ins from Jan 1- Mar 1 AND 410 check ins from Mar 1 - Mar 15.

We were up to over 650 when I left Amicalola Monday afternoon. That's about 200-250 more than last year this time. I've been putting 30-50 thru-hikers on the trail everyday and 20-40 sectioners.
    Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

Quote Originally Posted by twistwrist View Post
    We were up to over 650 when I left Amicalola Monday afternoon. That's about 200-250 more than last year this time. I've been putting 30-50 thru-hikers on the trail everyday and 20-40 sectioners.
    Is that 30-50 thru hikes PLUS 20-40 section hikes per day? 50 to 90 a day?

I'm curious about the number of dogs too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++