WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Here is my report that I promised two posts ago about how many thru hikers this year:

I hiked from Deep Gap, NC heading South to Dicks Creek, GA. I left at 9:10 and arrived at 4:55. During this time I crossed paths with about 120 people of which I guessed that 101 are thru hikers. Some told me they were thru hikers but most I determined from their packs. Many had the blue tags from the ATC.

It is very likely some in my count are long distance section hikers but none are day hikers like myself (unless they were practicing by bringing all their gear).

Of the 101, the breakdown was 71 male, 30 women. About half of the women were with a male companion and the other half were solo. There were also 6 dogs.

At the end some were already camping, and in the beginning I likely missed seeing the more determined hikers who were already past Deep Gap when I started. Several hikers said they started Wednesday (3/30) which IMO is really booking it.

Images

Nice getting "in the field" reports....thanks !!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Yikes, 120 hikers and 6 dogs in one 15 mile stretch of trail. Insane.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We started "early" (or so we thought) on March 9th and were met with full shelters, no tentsites, no branches to hang bear bags from, full privies (Tray Mtn was a nightmare) etc.

We're now in Erwin, TN, and things have thinned out somewhat, but this is way different from when my brother did it in '97. You definitely feel the crowd. It was honestly disappointing to me-standing in line is for Disneyworld, not getting water from a creek. The hostels are pricey and fill up quickly. Made worse by all the section hikers (why not do VT or PA instead of GA/NC during peak?) And then the weekends see tourists and outdoor groups. The Smokies in particular were bad because of the awkward reservation system.

America is a giant theme park. put on your mouse ears and get in line

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SplendidMonkeyKing View Post
    We started "early" (or so we thought) on March 9th and were met with full shelters, no tentsites, no branches to hang bear bags from, full privies (Tray Mtn was a nightmare) etc.

We're now in Erwin, TN, and things have thinned out somewhat, but this is way different from when my brother did it in '97. You definitely feel the crowd. It was honestly disappointing to me-standing in line is for Disneyworld, not getting water from a creek. The hostels are pricey and fill up quickly. Made worse by all the section hikers (why not do VT or PA instead of GA/NC during peak?) And then the weekends see tourists and outdoor groups. The Smokies in particular were bad because of the awkward reservation system.
    Why would section hikers give up better weather in the Spring down south to hike in the mud and snow on the northeast? THey probably don't for the same reason you didn't hike SoBo starting in March.

We started "early" (or so we thought) on March 9th and were met with full shelters
    nobody sleeps in shelters anymore...to crowded.

That's crazy that it was so busy that early. Section hikers go there for obvious reasons... much good trail in the north is snow in March and a lot of thick mud and/or snow in april. And "let's go hike in PA in march!!" is not something I've heard many people say, but they may start saying it after they see the overflowing privies...
    I'm sure many locals and section hikers are also cursing all the thru-hikers making the trail/shelter system all be unusable for such a long period this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Why would section hikers give up better weather in the Spring down south to hike in the mud and snow on the northeast? THey probably don't for the same reason you didn't hike SoBo starting in March.
    Wasn't trying to be political or anything, just for me personally if I weren't from Maine and "walking home" I would have chosen to flip flop or (if I section hiked) a place where everybody and their uncle wasn't, you know?

March 9th is not early. February 9th is now considered early, and even then I saw at least 10 people start NOBO Jan 1 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    A lot of section hikers prefer a straightforward NOBO hike that emulates a NOBO thru-hike.

For me, one of the main benefits of section hiking is that I get to choose the season for my hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Maybe the Revenant has changed some people's minds!! LOL
    We can only hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course 80% of "thru hikers" quit at some point and thus become section hikers.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Today in the Smokies, I counted 19 thru-hikers between roughly 3:30PM and 6:30PM between the Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail and Low Gap, except for whoever skipped the Mt. Cammerer spur trail, where I spent about an hour. One guy told me that every shelter was packed.

These reports have only reaffirmed the fact that SOBO was absolutely the best decision for me. I didn't want to leave civilization only to walk with another, moving civilization for 6 months.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

One guy did tell me I should consider flip-flopping, but I don't intend to sleep in shelters because I like my privacy. I'm emotionally attached to the traditional direction, mostly because I already started that way and think of it as an unfinished task. And, being originally from Wisconsin, I fear bugs up North more than anything down South. But if I get there, I have to avoid embarrassment and actually finish.

-

any way to get numbers for the years for distance hiker permits in the smokies

I'm a current thru hiker from CA so I have no idea of how historically crowded the trail has been. However I do feel crowded even this far halfway through VA. Niday shelter was full with ~20 tents and generally hostels run out of room each night. I can proudly say that I walked out of a walk in the woods after they fell off the cliff.

Journal Entries

Started in Amicalola May 8. It's been awesome. Just the right amount of people, 5-12 people at shelters each evening, half camp so usually room if you want. No fighting for space in hostels. I must have heard from a dozEn people that I started way late but it's been amazing sounds way better than fighting the crowds. Weather has been perfect, first two weeks it was in the 70s during the days now it's in the 80s. Everything is green and alive.

Starting when you did is tempting, but I wouldn't be able to finish. Do you think you can make it all the way this year?

Quote Originally Posted by SGTJones View Post
    Started in Amicalola May 8. It's been awesome. Just the right amount of people, 5-12 people at shelters each evening, half camp so usually room if you want. No fighting for space in hostels. I must have heard from a dozEn people that I started way late but it's been amazing sounds way better than fighting the crowds. Weather has been perfect, first two weeks it was in the 70s during the days now it's in the 80s. Everything is green and alive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++