WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default From the Whites to Kathadin

What's earliest month to start hiking the whites w/o winter gear (crampons etc) and be able to get to Kathadin? I'd be starting after Mt. moosilauke
    I have all spring/ summer so I will be planning on taking my time.
    Thanks!

In a normal year June 1st, but the bugs will eat you alive. The AMC high huts are not open yet except for Galehead so logistics are more difficult. Barring a return to winter this year it may be May 1st as the snow pack never really developed. Realistically wait until mid june, the bugs will be tapering off by then.

The very best time would be after labor day. Depending how late in the summer you can go, doing the latest you can and still finish in time would be best. Figure 6 or 7 weeks to do that section.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Realistically, June. May might be doable, especially this year, but the mud and bugs can be pretty bad. Black flies will usually be at their worst mid May to mid June. May also brings the possibility of late season cold, and frozen precipitation (yes, I've seen snow fall on Memorial Day weekend). July through August would be better even as noted above.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Thanks all!

Images

Hey, my name ended up being calamine because I got poison ivy pretty quickly in Georgia. Is poison ivy very prevalent that far North? I noticed it started to thin out after New York.

The bugs may not be so bad this year with the low snowmelt. Im starting to worry about a potential drought if we don't have a wet Summer. Water sources could be few and far between.

Stay off the stone walls and you should avoid most poison Ivy. Ive never gotten any hiking the AT.

++ New Posts ++