WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here is a random image that should illustrate how the mesh door panels don't come into contact with the fly :
    DR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    However I sort of believe in love at first sight when it comes to tents and I do think that many buy a tent because they like the look of it not because of the exact weight or size.
    In other words I believe that people will make a tent they like work for them, so given your many doubts about the DR you might be better off getting another one that you fall in love with.

I agree and this is a bit my problem.
    It was indeed love at first sight. And then for some stupid reasons, I started to pay close attention to some of the reviews and some of the issues reported. Now, I have no way to know if these are statistically significant or not but let's say that, looking into the details at the tent, I kinda understand them (sloped sidewalls limit headroom for couples although the walls are not wet at you mentioned).

Now what is left:
    1) Many argue for the Stratospire 2 may be better as in more volume but at 6ft and stomach sleeper, I am afraid this is going to be tight length-wise
    2)SMD Lunar Duo but the large panels may not make it as wind resistant at the DR. Plus I do not like having guy-lines all around the tent because as a mindless person, I know I'll stumble on them at night at one point.
    3) Haven Tarp and Net tent probably not long enough.
    4) Zpack Duplex is probably a Cadillac but comes at Cadillac price

My feeling is that the DR is probably the better all-around tent, but I am stuck with buyer "inability-to-decide" and go ahead. Also, better all around does not necessarily means best at at-least-one-thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Here is a random image that should illustrate how the mesh door panels don't come into contact with the fly :
    DR.jpg
    Thanks for your help Franco? Where are you based in Melbourne?

Hi
    I was close to the City center for about 30 years but now I am in country Victoria so instead of going bush (hiking) I am in the bush...

In the SS2 page there is a section called Videos (every shelter has one)
    https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
    under videos there is a 3D clip that has 2 6' dummies one sitting the other laying down, so that you can see how a 6' perso fits inside there.
    If you have a fast internet connection the "interactive" clip is better because you can choose any angle of view you like and the shading is more visible
    SS2 inside.jpg
    DR inside.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++