WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does anyone offer to drive vehicle ahead?

I'm looking to commemorate my 2 year trail start anniversary of my 2014 thru hike and wondering if there is anyone who drives cars further up the trail; instead of relying on a shuttle. I want to hike from springer to franklin,nc starting march 12th ending in franklin on march 20th.

The only way I see that would work is if you picked up someone who lives in Franklin, then drive both of you to Springer and have them drive the car back to Franklin. Maybe this person would want to be paid for their time or maybe not. Either way, your trusting them with your car for the duration. Personally, I'd rather just pay for a shuttle then take that risk.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

yeah just thinking of other options, logistics of this trip suck. I think it would be easier to just get dropped off at springer and buy a ticket home from maine

Images

You might try talking to Overheadview. Overheadview is another member of White Blaze, who just started a thread on the best location to be a Trail Angel. As this person was looking to give rides to hikers, maybe you both can work out a solution? http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...-a-trail-angel

Images

I have had great good fortune posting my hikes on WhiteBlaze. There are forums here just for that. Often folks volunteer to shuttle my vehicle (or me/us) and I've never, ever had a problem. I always pay, even when they don't ask for anything. To me, the trail community is trusting and trustworthy.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Have a shuttle person meet you (and your car) at Winding Stair Gap/Franklin in the AM. Leave you car there, and have the person shuttle you south to Springer. Then hike back to your car! If it's a costly shuttle, you could always break it up by leaving your car at the Hiawassee road crossing, and have someone shuttle you to Springer...hike back to your car, and then set up the next phase by leaving your car at the Franklin Road crossing. I recommend Joyce and Sallly.

I did my chunk hike like this in Maine, due to some uncertainty with knee issues that I had the previous summers, and the remoteness of Maine. It was SO NICE to be able to resupply from the trunk of my car, use my own toiletries, and then change into some cotton clothes in town. Also, I really enjoyed driving around. In addition to giving me freedom, it allowed me to experience Maine in a non-tunnel-vision way. The shuttles can be pricey, but for me, it was worth it....so worth it, that I did it again last summer to rehike my favorite parts of the AT in the south!

-

there are drive away services that do this nation wide - the most common reason people use this service is long term travel for work, they fly and have their car meet them - it is not cheap, but then shuttling any distance is not either

Miss Janet is usually in the area at that time of year. I section hiked the whole trail, and she helped me out with several difficult shuttles. Keep in mind, you may make MANY stops on a shuttle from Franklin, NC , but if cost is an issue, keep her in mind.

Also, I suggest the Standing Indian Backcountry parking lot near the campground -- I parked there for 2 weeks.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Journal Entries

There was a guy who hiked the trail with a bike and a car. He parked car, rode bike back to starting point, hiked, drove back to starting point to get bike, then moved up the trail.

Or maybe vice versa

Or at least thats what I remember

just ended up calling ron and he is going to pick me up at winding stair and drop me off so i can hioke back to my car.

Default Car moving

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    Have a shuttle person meet you (and your car) at Winding Stair Gap/Franklin in the AM. Leave you car there, and have the person shuttle you south to Springer. Then hike back to your car! If it's a costly shuttle, you could always break it up by leaving your car at the Hiawassee road crossing, and have someone shuttle you to Springer...hike back to your car, and then set up the next phase by leaving your car at the Franklin Road crossing. I recommend Joyce and Sallly.

I did my chunk hike like this in Maine, due to some uncertainty with knee issues that I had the previous summers, and the remoteness of Maine. It was SO NICE to be able to resupply from the trunk of my car, use my own toiletries, and then change into some cotton clothes in town. Also, I really enjoyed driving around. In addition to giving me freedom, it allowed me to experience Maine in a non-tunnel-vision way. The shuttles can be pricey, but for me, it was worth it....so worth it, that I did it again last summer to rehike my favorite parts of the AT in the south!
    How did you do this in Maine. I need help in the 100 mile wilderness to Katahdin. Thanks

I was wondering how you did the moving in Maine. I will be doing the 100 mile wilderness to Katahdin? Did you use shuttles? Please advise. Thanks. peaceful walker

++ New Posts ++