WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question The Backside Sleeping Bags?

The Backside -50 degree 'Blue Ice' Mummy Bag

Has anyone ever purchased and trail tested any of the products by this company? If so, I would be curious to know how they stood up to the test and if you would use the equipment again or switch brands.

I'm considering purchasing this bag for a thru-hike starting Jan 1st, 2006, and was hoping for some feedback as the link on amazon doesn't have any reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&v=glance

Many thanks to everyone in advance.
    [IMG]images/buttons/quote.gif[/IMG]

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

is this a joke? -50?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I can't think of many places you would need one of those.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

19 lbs....

I'm far from lightweight, but wow. I think I could find a kerosene heater for that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riddick
    19 lbs....

I'm far from lightweight, but wow. I think I could find a kerosene heater for that.
    Yeah, and still have room left for a gallon or so of fuel.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Oh well ...

I'm not sure if that remark on Amazon is accurate, as a zero degree bag by the same company weighed in at only 3.1lbs. The bag weight is actually listed at 4lbs. Even Military issue sleep rolls aren't that heavy (18.9 lbs).

God knows what they're shipping to bring it up another 14 lbs, unless the box, the packing and paperwork weighs in at that amount. I would imagine that it's just another technique used by companies to gouge for shipping.

I can't think of many places you would need one of those.
    I've used many zero degree bags, with silk liners, by other manufacturers and have still found myself a little chilled out on the trail in winter, I figured I would just cut to the chase, and step it up a notch.

Many thanks for the comments, I guess I'll just have to take the plunge and report back.

I see the fill weight listed as 4 lbs. The bag will definitely weigh more than that, quite a bit more. I'm no expert on bag design, but I would think with that much fill and a rating at -50 there would have to be a LOT of loft, possibly different layers of lofting which could indicate much more fabric than other bags.

Just an observation - again, I've never torn a bag open to see inside or made one either.

If you are absolutely, positively certain that Hell is going to freeze over and if you want to be toasty warm while it's happening, then I'd suggest buying a Western Mountaineering Bison Super DL. The company has an impeccable reputation, it's rated at -40 degrees, and the thing weighs in at just under 5 lbs.

It's a bit pricey at $735, but since Hell is freezing over, who cares?

The -50 degree bag is listed on other sites as being 5.2 pounds. With 4 pounds of fill that sounds about right.
    kncats

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B
    If you are absolutely, positively certain that Hell is going to freeze over and if you want to be toasty warm while it's happening, then I'd suggest buying a Western Mountaineering Bison Super DL. The company has an impeccable reputation, it's rated at -40 degrees, and the thing weighs in at just under 5 lbs.

It's a bit pricey at $735, but since Hell is freezing over, who cares?
    I would add a nice big down air mat (DAM) to go with that... in case Hell thawd out. (Would allow you to float instead of sinking-- don't want your down to get wet.)

Most carriers charge by weight OR dimension, assigning a weight to a given dimension, and then charging for the greater of the two. In this case, the box that it ships in may not actually weigh 18+ lbs, but it could be a large or odd size.
    Don't forget the songs that made you smile and the songs that made you cry, when you lay in awe on your bedroom floor and said, "Oh, oh, smother me, Mother!"

El Sordo
    Images

do you think you'll be able to squeeze this thing into a pack?

I'll find out in about three days as I just forked over the cash for it and paid for the extra shipping, so it would arrive before I left.

I spoke to the sales rep at Camping Gear Outlet, the folks listed on Amazon, and she stated the bag did weigh in 5.2 pounds as KNCats stated,and MorrisseyFan was correct regarding the shipping dimensions.

I'll be completely honest and admit that I wanted The Marmot CWM EQ bag that goes for $688 and is rated at -40, but had a little difficulty relenquishing the money. I know that some pieces of gear are worth it for sure, but sometimes, I have to take the low road.

My concern with getting a better / warmer bag this season has to do with the weather reporters, namely Joe Bastardi (nice name) over at Accuweather stating that the Eastern Seaboard is heading into the coldest winter in a decade this year. I'm just praying I'll be prepared and will be happier on the trail if that's the case. And yes I'm bringing snow cleats.
    Last edited by papabear; 12-21-2005 at 12:44.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by papabear

I've used many zero degree bags, with silk liners, by other manufacturers and have still found myself a little chilled out on the trail in winter, I figured I would just cut to the chase, and step it up a notch.

Many thanks for the comments, I guess I'll just have to take the plunge and report back.

What pad were you using? Were you camping on snow or on ground? If you need a -50 deg. bag you'll need snowshoes, not just snow cleats.

Instead of going to excess with your sleeping bag, you might want to think about upgrading your sleeping pad. Exped, a section of OR, makes down pads that don't weight much over a pound (for shorts), or 1.5 lbs for regular (www.orgear.com). I've also heard winter campers say that they put a cheap CCF pad underneath a normal self-inflating pad if they are camping on snow.

What will happen after your body adjusts from 78 deg. burbank, CA winter temps (I just checked your weather and I'm envious, 4 deg. wind chill here), to freezing temperatures? Will you still need a -50 deg. bag then? Getting used to the weather can make a big difference. Maybe you need to use an appropiate sleeping bag with some clothing on until you adust?

Are you only cold one night every once in a while, or every night? Do you wear a hat and balcava in addition to cinching the mummy's hood tightly?

The above are just the textbook failures of proper sleeping bags, I'm sure you've been through almost all of them bevore. They are just some questions to think about...I'm sure that the experts of whiteblaze can help you with the answers to them.

I have a therma-rest exped pad and several of the CCF pads in my garage, which I have used off and on over the years, only once did I sue both, and that was on a stone floor in an abandoned building in Lhasa in winter. While I live in Burbank, as you noticed I rarely do any of my outdoor activites here, unless of course you consider the 'survival driving' and 'people hazarding'.

I've hiked, camped and climbed in several places around the globe over the last decade and am no stranger to cold weather having spent the better part of my life living in Alaska and working in the commercial fishing industry in places like the Bering Sea and crabbing out of St. Paul Island. Which are noteably some of the coldest places on earth.

I'm glad that you're envious of the weather here, because for me, I personally hate the weather here. It's like the bloody 'Truman Show' everyday. 80 degrees and clear. 80 degrees and clear. There's no seasons, no rain, no cloudy thunderstorms, no snow, no trees changing colors. Just forest fires burning down the surrounding areas and Arnold making incendiary statements about nurses. If my wife wasn't such a Californian, I would've moved to Glasgow years ago. The glare here around 11am to 2 pm could blind penguins. But that's just my take on it. LOL.

I also have a couple of Balaclava's that I use, answering your question, I've recently given up the ghost on my rag wool Balaclava and switched to a more high tech North Face one, but that's just me, sometimes old school gear is preferable. Below I've posted my gear listed which is coming in just at 55lbs on the scale, which is pretty standard for a winter pack. Let me know if you see any redundancies or glaring absentees. I always appreciate advice, suggestions and alternate gear options. I will say that I ahven't decided on a new cook set yet, but I have several in my garage, hence the lack of pricing. I'm also undecided on my pack as of yet, both have benefits.

Pack:
    1. Northface Terra 50 (with Water Bladder)($139.99)
    1. Arc'Teryx Bora 95 (Still deciding between the two. This pack is a bit overkill, but nice) (Already Owned)
    1. Sea To Summit Cordura Pack Cover (29.99)

Shelter:
    1. Kelty Trail Dome 2 ($100.00 On Sale)
    1. The Backside -50° 'Blue Ice' Mummy Bag ($341.50)
    1. Silk bag liner ($45.99)
    1. Therma-rest pad ($9.99)
    1. 6ft x 8ft sq Tarp ($5.99)
    1. 100 ft. of Cord - 600lb test ($6.99)

Kitchen:
    1. Cookset
    1. Stove
    1. Water filtration system
    1. Lexan spoon

Clothing:
    1. Patagonia Capilene thermal long johns (Already Owned)
    2. Terramar Thermasilk silk long johns (Already Owned)
    3. Wool socks (Already Owned)
    1. Pair of crocodile gaiters (Already Owned)
    1. Pair of glove liners (Already Owned)
    1. Pair cold weather gloves (Already Owned)
    1. North Face Fleece Balaclava ($19.99)
    1. Fleece hat w/ flaps ($30.00)
    1. Fleece pullover (Already Owned)
    1. Military Issue Gortex Camouflage Weather-Resistant Parka ($90.00)
    1. Patagonia fleece jacket (Already Owned)
    2. Columbia pants (Already Owned)
    1. Gortex Rain pants (Already Owned)

Miscellaneous:
    1. Pair of Carbon walking Poles (Still Shopping)
    1. Knife
    1. Head Lamp ($14.99)
    1. Sony 1gig Mp3 Walkman (30 Albums) (Already Owned)
    1. Small first aid kit
    1. Small compass
    2. Bandanna’s (Already Owned)
    1. Yellow Notepad (Already Owned)
    1. Pencil (mechanical) (Already Owned)
    1. SubZero Snow Shoes ($149.00)
    1. Black Diamond snow cleats($99.00)
    1. Velcro wallet ($4.99)
    2. Potable Aqua ER Drinking water Germicidal tablets (6.99)
    1. MSR Mini folding Pick & Shovel ($7.99)
    1. ER NASA Space blanket ($2.99)
    1. Military Issue Waterproof Laundry Bag ($5.99)
    1. Nalgene Bottle (Already Owned)

3-4 days with of food.

Many thanks for the regards, and sorry for the long post. 9 days and counting.

Images

We need weights, Papa. Some of your gear I can make a good guess, but I have no idea how much a folding pick/shovel weighs, for example.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Sorry, that was just the pack with a different sleeping bag on a scale. I'll weigh it all out and repost.

Images

I used a 20 degree Backside Down bag on my hike. It worked fine and kept me plenty warm when other folks were cold. The only problem was that it seemed to leak down from time to time. It is less than 3 pounds, so I switched to a Western Mountaineering bag for this year so I could save a pound.

Just a note to add that I ordered and recieved my bag within 3 days from the vendor, 'Camping Gear Outlet' on Amazon. Great customer service. I weighed the bag in it's travel pouch and it came in at 5.2 pounds. A bit heavy, but probably will be worth the extra pound and a half on average. Still weighing out the rest of the gear. Will update. Thanks Red Hat for the nod & info.

Leaving tonight from LAX (12/30/05 10:30pm) to head out to begin my winter AT Hike. Sorry that I didn't have time to weigh each piece of gear as I had wanted, but the holidays, and planning out last minute changes for the hike ate up most of my time.

I'm weighing in at exactly 170.00lbs and the pack is 34 pounds with one days worth of food, snowshoes and cleats. That was all the trail food I could scrounge at the last minute. I'm not doing too bad, I think. Add another 20lbs for the food and water and I should fare ok.

Best wishes to everyone on their hikes this year. Keep well and be safe.

May god's hand be on your shoulder -

papabear

++ New Posts ++