WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Registered User plodalong's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2015
    Location
    plympton,mass
    Age
    64
    Posts
    31

    Question Parking for section hike near MA/CT border?

    We are planning to hike CT/NY line to the MA line this April. We can get a ride to the starting point and are looking for a secure place to leave our car. We had thought the AT western center at the Kellogg Center would be a likely spot but was told no hiker parking is allowed. We saw a couple of road side spots but wondered if there was a more secure area nearby. Any ideas? Thanks

  2. #2
    GoldenBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    Upper Darby, PA
    Posts
    827
    Journal Entries
    62
    Images
    347

    Lightbulb The URL you want

    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...0&sectionID=53
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=174

    Note that this site measures mileage from north to south. Thus, Mile Zero of a section is the most NORTHERN part.

  3. #3

    Default

    You might try the Quality Inn in Great Barrington. You'd need to extend your hike for another day, and hitch or call for a shuttle. I would not recommend any of the smaller trailheads for that long a period.

    Cosmo

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-04-2009
    Location
    West Stockbridge MA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    493
    Images
    3

    Default

    Here is a link to my trip report from April, 2015. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...Ct+trip+report

    Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with leaving a car at the Undermountian Trailhead on RT. 41. It does see a lot of use by weekend, day hikers but is rather large lot. Have a great trip, I really enjoyed that section. Enjoy your hike.

  5. #5

    Default

    Hiking from the NY/CT line to the MA line is a wonderful trek, you'll enjoy it a lot. The MA/CT line is at Sages Ravine, north of bear mountain. It really depends where you want to leave the trail. If you want to hike over Bear and down into the Ravine, touch the state line, and return back up to the Paradise Lane trail (to link to the Undermountain Access Trail), leaving a car at the under mountain trail head on Rt 41 would be a fairly safe place. I have never had a problem at that parking area and have used it a lot.

    However, if you want to travel past the MA/CT State line to the next access trail, that would require going over Race Mountain and taking the Racebrook Falls trail down to the Rt 41 trailhead (several miles north of the Undermountain trail head on Rt 41). That parking area is also fairly safe. I don't think there are problems with leaving a car at the Jug End road trail crossing, though there is only room for a few cars there, I have never had problems there either, but it may be a comfort level issue.

  6. #6
    CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-03-2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    I believe that all of the above sections are going to have you doing a bunch of extra walking past the CT/MA border. If you don't want to do more climbing in MA, just park at the spot listed as "Northwest Road" at this site: http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

    Easy flat hike from that lot to the AT. I believe that the turnoff for the parking lot is a couple of hundred yards south of the MA state line.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I believe that all of the above sections are going to have you doing a bunch of extra walking past the CT/MA border. If you don't want to do more climbing in MA, just park at the spot listed as "Northwest Road" at this site: http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

    Easy flat hike from that lot to the AT. I believe that the turnoff for the parking lot is a couple of hundred yards south of the MA state line.
    ARgh, forgot about the back road in! That would be a great place to park, not at all difficult to walk down to the Ravine touch the border and return.

  8. #8
    CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-03-2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ARgh, forgot about the back road in! That would be a great place to park, not at all difficult to walk down to the Ravine touch the border and return.
    Nope, the ravine bottom is not the border. The state is somewhere on the slope south of the ravine. It's actually not very far down at all from the trail intersection to the border.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-25-2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Age
    45
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Nope, the ravine bottom is not the border. The state is somewhere on the slope south of the ravine. It's actually not very far down at all from the trail intersection to the border.
    Is it still there? Seems like the last time we were in the area, you didn't see a welcome to MA sign until you went through the ravine and crossed the water (past the campsite area). I remember there being a sign on the way into the ravine (coming from the south) in the past but didn't see it more recently.

  10. #10
    CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-03-2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Is it still there? Seems like the last time we were in the area, you didn't see a welcome to MA sign until you went through the ravine and crossed the water (past the campsite area). I remember there being a sign on the way into the ravine (coming from the south) in the past but didn't see it more recently.
    The sign isn't on the border. Check any map--the bottom of the ravine is well into Massachusetts.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Is it still there? Seems like the last time we were in the area, you didn't see a welcome to MA sign until you went through the ravine and crossed the water (past the campsite area). I remember there being a sign on the way into the ravine (coming from the south) in the past but didn't see it more recently.
    Burger is right, the MA/CT line is just south of the Paradise Lane trail, though I too think of the sign further down in the Ravine as the marker.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    the CT/MA border is perhaps the best example of something that come sup every so often and perplexes me-

    why would anyone worry so much about hiking to a geopolitical boundary? ie, why do a hike that involves a backtrack, several miles of a side trail, and parking at a hard to get to trail head just to hike to a border? makes no sense to me at all. either stop in salisbury and save the taconics for next time or continue on to jug end and end there. to me, if youre section hiking the AT, jumping through hoops to hike to the border and only to the border is a waste of energy better spent doing something else.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,120
    Images
    620

    Default

    Thanks for the thread, Plodalong! I plan to go back in May and pick up in Kent, CT and hike north a week or two. At least complete Connecticut, I hope. So, this is timely stuff for me to read.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

    [url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

    .

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-04-2009
    Location
    West Stockbridge MA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    493
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I believe that all of the above sections are going to have you doing a bunch of extra walking past the CT/MA border. If you don't want to do more climbing in MA, just park at the spot listed as "Northwest Road" at this site: http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

    Easy flat hike from that lot to the AT. I believe that the turnoff for the parking lot is a couple of hundred yards south of the MA state line.
    If you wish to park on East st. (dirt road), as described in the link above, access is only from the north. East St. at the MA/CT line is blocked with jersey barriers until after mud season, (sometime in May). This would require you to drive all the way around past Jug End. Also there is only room for 3 cars at best, most often 2 due to the way people park and is heavily used by folks staying at the cabin and/or day hikers. Do not block the gate as it is needed for access to the AMC cabin. There is a small pull off on the opposite side of the road, at the Mt Frissel trailhead, but it is not well defined. While it is a fairly level walk out from the north side of Bear Mt. to East St., Paradise Lane is also has very little elevation gain/loss and is beautiful trail. You could do an out and back into the Ravine if time permits. As mentioned above the state line, if it matters at all, is near the intersection of the AT and Paradise Lane. There is a small MA/CT sign on the north side of the brook at the lower end of the Ravine about a mile north of the intersection of PLT and the AT.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-04-2009
    Location
    West Stockbridge MA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    493
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    the CT/MA border is perhaps the best example of something that come sup every so often and perplexes me-

    why would anyone worry so much about hiking to a geopolitical boundary? ie, why do a hike that involves a backtrack, several miles of a side trail, and parking at a hard to get to trail head just to hike to a border? makes no sense to me at all. either stop in salisbury and save the taconics for next time or continue on to jug end and end there. to me, if youre section hiking the AT, jumping through hoops to hike to the border and only to the border is a waste of energy better spent doing something else.
    First of all, the Undermountian Trailhead is not hard to get to and offers plenty of parking for upwards of 10 cars answers the OP question. Jug End road (dirt road, secluded) maybe 3 on the side of the road. Secondly, if one is to hike this section, Lions Head, Bear Mt and Sages Ravine are the crown jewels of the trail. Access to the AT near the MA/CT line requires either a hike of 1 mile from/to East St. or exiting at Riga Junction, via the Undermountian Trail (about 1.3 miles down hill to RT 41) south of Bear Mt or Paradise Lane Trail/Undermountian Trail, about 2.5 miles of very easy walking.
    There is no backtracking involved unless one only wanted to go down into Sages Ravine and come back out heading south. After all it's walking, no big deal, no hoops.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    First of all, the Undermountian Trailhead is not hard to get to and offers plenty of parking for upwards of 10 cars answers the OP question. Jug End road (dirt road, secluded) maybe 3 on the side of the road. Secondly, if one is to hike this section, Lions Head, Bear Mt and Sages Ravine are the crown jewels of the trail. Access to the AT near the MA/CT line requires either a hike of 1 mile from/to East St. or exiting at Riga Junction, via the Undermountian Trail (about 1.3 miles down hill to RT 41) south of Bear Mt or Paradise Lane Trail/Undermountian Trail, about 2.5 miles of very easy walking.
    There is no backtracking involved unless one only wanted to go down into Sages Ravine and come back out heading south. After all it's walking, no big deal, no hoops.

    plenty of "crown jewels" north of the ravine too, no?

    i still dont see the point. is someone giving out "i hiked all of CT, but none of MA" certificates or something?

    "2.5 miles of very easy walking" means that when you factor in repeating it when you move on to the next section, its an extra 5 miles. i really just dont get why anyone would want to do this. no one would would be likely to choose something like that if not for the fact that its how you hike to the CT/MA border and i just dont see how the border of 2 states that occurs smack in the middle of a mountain ridge is somehow a destination.

  17. #17
    CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-03-2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    plenty of "crown jewels" north of the ravine too, no?

    i still dont see the point. is someone giving out "i hiked all of CT, but none of MA" certificates or something?

    "2.5 miles of very easy walking" means that when you factor in repeating it when you move on to the next section, its an extra 5 miles. i really just dont get why anyone would want to do this. no one would would be likely to choose something like that if not for the fact that its how you hike to the CT/MA border and i just dont see how the border of 2 states that occurs smack in the middle of a mountain ridge is somehow a destination.
    And I don't see why Katahdin is somehow a destination. Or Springer Moutain. Or Campo, California. Or Glacier National Park.

    All hiking trails are arbitrary. Let the OP start and stop where they want. It doesn't affect you or anyone else.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    And I don't see why Katahdin is somehow a destination. Or Springer Moutain. Or Campo, California. Or Glacier National Park.

    All hiking trails are arbitrary. Let the OP start and stop where they want. It doesn't affect you or anyone else.
    katahdin and springer are the ends of the trail. little different.

    yes, the OP can do whatever they want. but anytime someone asks a question about hiking MA or CT a bunch if people chime in with all these different ways to hike to the border and only to the border. is that what the OP even asked? i dont see it at all.

    my advice to the OP- hiking to the border is silly, just end before or after the taconics. that advice is just as valid as yours.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    plenty of "crown jewels" north of the ravine too, no?

    i still dont see the point. is someone giving out "i hiked all of CT, but none of MA" certificates or something?

    "2.5 miles of very easy walking" means that when you factor in repeating it when you move on to the next section, its an extra 5 miles. i really just dont get why anyone would want to do this. no one would would be likely to choose something like that if not for the fact that its how you hike to the CT/MA border and i just dont see how the border of 2 states that occurs smack in the middle of a mountain ridge is somehow a destination.
    Some people hike State line to State line regardless where it falls, others hike from access trail to access trail, others from road crossing to road crossing. Not all plans or methods work for everyone or make sense to anyone outside of those doing it.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Burger is right, the MA/CT line is just south of the Paradise Lane trail, though I too think of the sign further down in the Ravine as the marker.
    The stream in Sages Ravine is the "management border" between the Mass and CT clubs. It just seems to make good sense to use the physical features rather than a political boundary. It does sometimes get a bit wonky, as the CT club needs to make sure the Mass state park folks know what's going on.

    The same is not true of the VT border, which has no physical features (except a really great rock for a lunch stop). It does have a clearly visible steel survey pin in the ground for the purists.

    Cosmo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •