WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    MA could use one or two.

I actually recommended to Janice de Muy (sp?), who runs the Nantucket youth hostel, that she purchase the Harper's Ferry hostel. There's something real special about awesome innkeepers who have that gift of connecting with travelers who love nature. However, she is a Reiki therapist off-season in New Mexico, and didn't want to give that up.

BTW - How to hostel innkeepers walk the trail? I always wondered. Do they trust their staff to run things or weeks or months at a time? (The youth hostel managers rarely take more than a week off.)
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Good advise above...especially health dept, zoning etc.

Many municipalities do not understand what a hostel is all about. Some want to lump you in with B&B or motel regulations. Some fire codes may want sprinklers, alarms and fire doors when serving a large number of guests. That's one of the reasons we choose to stay small and serve fewer hikers.

It's still a fantastic endeavor....just do your homework.
    I have not stayed in your lovely place, but read marvelous things about it and follow it on FB. I hope that Israeli soldier who was called back to service is OK.

What do you do when you yourself want to go hiking?

I have not been to Vermont since pre-Sandy, but in 2008 we stayed in the Bennington Youth Hostel. There were car-campers (us); truckers who stayed in their trucks but used the shower and kitchen; campers and those who stayed inside. It was an unfortunate experience and I then realized that at some point people should throw in the towel and retire.

A little off-topic, but we will be staying with you during our (or my) thru-hike, and hope to stop by just to stay hello to your place the next time we are in Vermont but before the thru.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Phat D View Post

Hey Guys! I need your help. I'm doing some research in hoping to one day start a hostel on the AT,.. but more importantly in an area where many hikers feel there is a definite need. I am reaching out to all trail clubs/groups associated with the AT and asking for any feedback that would be helpful. What areas would you consider to be best suited for this service, as well as what areas would be the most open and welcoming to this idea? Thanks,Dirk(Stinkus)
    I'm new to this sight so I apologize if this belongs in another forum.
    Would you want to run a green hostel?

Hey Thanks Ray! Really appreciate that!

I'm just seeing this! Run a green hostel? Like all natural?

Thanks Jeff! I'll be in touch if this thing ever takes off!

Yes Phat D. Green. Think Granola green and living clean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++