WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need a brutally honest SOBO Kit Shakedown

Estimated SOBO thru hike departure from BSP is 26 May 16 but am flexible based upon conditions. My list of kit can be found at https://lighterpack.com/r/1lm65

I need a good shakedown. No worries, y'all won't hurt my little feelings. I have some idea of items to eliminate but appreciate the opinion of more experienced AT'ers.

Most kit decisions were based on adverse weather conditions initially in the northern states then I will lighten load as I get to PA, WV & VA. Remember...this is a SOBO thru-hike.

Thanks in advance!!!

This is the big picture right now:

(minus worn clothing I have a carried weight of 32.02 lbs)
    (minus 12.41 lbs of consumables I have a base weight of 19.61 lbs)

• CategoryWeight
    • Packed Equipment
      8.99 lb
    • Packed Kitchen
      2.43 lb
    • Packed Consumables
      12.41 lb
    • Packed Clothing
      5.11 lb
    • Worn Clothing/Gear
      4.9 lb
    • Personal Hygiene
      1.03 lb
    • Electronics
      1.54 lb
    • Misc. Support Items
      0.51 lb
    • Total
      36.92 oz lb g kg lb
    • Consumable
      12.41 lb
    • Worn
      4.75 lb
    • Pack Weight
      19.77 lb

AT 2012

Brutal: loose the lid and get a lighter knife. Have a great sobo!
    Lazarus

A 19 degree bag probably isn't a bad idea for someone starting out early on, but I think you'll likely find it to be overkill once you get further south and the summer season really sets in.

Similarly, the down jacket might be nice to have for the first few weeks (possibly even through the Whites) but you'll probably send it home before too long.

Make sure the bug head net is no-see-um proof. A lot of bug nets aren't, and you'll regret not checking on this if you end up with one that isn't.

I've never carried a trowel. I always find that a good, thick stick works pretty well for digging a cat hole when I need to do so.

You probably don't need a full cookset with two pots. I do just fine with a single one liter titanium pot on my solo trips.

A full leatherman is probably overkill.

What are you carrying the castile soap for? If you're planning to use this for cleaning yourself, make sure you do it well away from any water sources (at least a few hundred feet). Even biodegradeable soap is a form of pollution if it gets in lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers.

Some people are going to suggest ditching the rain pants. While I don't always use them myself (you get wet from sweating anyways if you use them in the summer), I think they are nice to have as a wind block if needed. They are also nice to have in camp on a rainy afternoon/evening when you're trying to do camp chores.

Overall, it looks like you are generally well prepared. One thing I might add is a small, key chain compass. You don't usually need a compass to hike the AT, but you never know when you might need one. In some areas, if you step off the trail to go the bathroom, you might get turned around and lose the trail even if it's only 50 feet away. Also, above treeline in foggy conditions or inclement weather it can be easy to lose the trail as well. Having at least a small key chain compass could make a difference in these kinds of situations.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

You've got a ton of extra stuff. Don't leave home unless you can get your base weight under 20 lbs. Specifically:

Swap that ridiculous groundcloth for a 2 x 7 piece of polycryo window sheeting (the clear plastic stuff you put over windows).

Ditch the pad repair kit. If your pad goes, you have a crappy couple of nights and then you deal with it in town.

Sponges just get gross on the trail. Use your fingers and some water to remove the food. Your pot will be sterilized the next time you boil water.

That's a really heavy windscreen. Get a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and 2 paper clips. When the foil starts to go, ask at a restaurant in town for more foil.

AT water is pretty good--you don't need Aqua Mira and the filter. Ditch one or the other.

Any knife that weighs over 1 oz. is total overkill. Get a Leatherman Micra, Swiss Army Classic, or something similar.

A scarf? No. Leave that at home.

You don't a spare t-shirt and a spare long-sleeve shirt. Leave one at home.

You don't need convertible pants plus spare shorts. Wear your rain pants when you're doing laundry.

Trowel? There are privies at every shelter. Use them.

A half roll of TP is insane. Figure, generously, 10 squares per day.

Read on your phone and lose the kindle. Bring a small external battery which will still be lighter than the Kindle.

Please tell me you're not planning to carry the entire AT guidebook. Rip that sucker up and mail the extra pages ahead.

Will Katahdin even be open for hiking on the 26th? It didnt open last year until June 5th. Although i think it probably will be due to it being a low snow year.

no insect repellent?
    Last edited by egilbe; 03-02-2016 at 07:41.

"Ditch the pad repair kit. If your pad goes, you have a crappy couple of nights and then you deal with it in town

how much weight savings is that . 1/4 oz. sleep crappy for that ?

WOW...I truly appreciate all the responses!!! Many mirror what I was already thinking.

1. 1azarus: "loose the lid and get a lighter knife". I had the lid so threw it in for comment and weight. I will ditch it and I have a lighter knife. Thanks

DSettahr: You're thinking about bag, down jacket mirrors my thoughts. Get rid of them as I get south, same with merano base leayer. Castille soap great thought and is now gone as is 2nd pot. I have a small super light compass. Was thinking about adding it but didn't but will. Rain pants...I'm on the fence. I tend not to wear them but might be useful up north as a windbreak then ditch them later. Thanks

burger: Groundcloth great tip to go poly. Have used tyvek for several trips and just had it. Pad repair kit and pot scrubber gone. Sawyer filter gone, scarf gone, kindle gone. Will work on your other valuable suggestions. I used to have a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil for my old MSR stove, need to find it. Thanks

egilbe: 26 May is a goal but I'm not stuck on it. Am extremely flexible and resources would allow me to wait an extra week in the area. Phil at 100milewilderness outfitters has been a great resource. I have Permethrin insect repellent. Didn't add to list though it was in the "take"pile. will also pre-treat clothing equip.Thanks

Cheyou: thanks for the thought...!!!

That Trangia is really heavy by alcohol stove standards. And you don't have a pot support.

Answer to both those problems: Zelph Starlyte with built-in pot support.

Get a rain kilt instead of the pants. Lighter, smaller and can be put on much easier.

Keep the down jacket, use it as a pillow. Nights can still get cold, it will be nice when you first wake up and are not moving yet, or when you stop and are sweaty and cold.

Don't bring permethrin! In liquid form it will decimate nature. One treatment will last the whole time as long as you keep the items out of the sun and less than 6 washes.

Thanks...looking now. Percentage wise thats a huge reduction in weight

Thanks. will look at rain kilt. have used my Columbia rain Jacket and pants on other hikes so just had it there. Others being a few hundred miles and not 2000+

Should have mentioned the permethrin was for pre-hike treatment. Will be carrying DEET 100 1 OZ

Have removed several items from list so far and will update master list as I make adjustment. Already decreased by about 4 lbs

"loose the lid and get a lighter knife". I had the lid so threw it in for comment and weight. I will ditch it and I have a lighter knife, the leatherman micra. Thanks

You're thinking about bag, down jacket mirrors my thoughts. Get rid of them as I get south, same with merano base leayer. Castille soap great thought and is now gone as is 2nd pot. I have a small super light compass. Was thinking about adding it but didn't but will. Rain pants...I'm on the fence. I tend not to wear them but might be useful up north as a windbreak then ditch them later. Thanks

Groundcloth great tip to go poly. Have used tyvek for several trips and just had it. Pad repair kit and pot scrubber gone. Sawyer filter gone, scarf gone, kindle gone. Will work on your other valuable suggestions. I used to have a piece ofheavy duty aluminum foil for my old MSR stove, need to find it. Thanks

26 May is a goal but I'm not stuck on it. Am extremely flexible and resources would allow me to wait an extra week in the area. Phil at 100milewilderness outfitters has been a great resource. I have Permethrin insect repellent. Didn't add to list though it was in the "take"pile. will also pre-treat clothing equip.Thanks

thanks for the thought...!!!

12 LBS consumables seems high to me. a lbs a day is still on the high side for me.

Keep the lid, it will decrease your boiling time.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Keep in mind your mileage may vary.

I was going to keep the pot lid. I think what 1azarus was referring to was the Pack "LID" which is also called a "lid". It's an accessory I had that goes with my pack yet weighs in at 9 OZ ( http://www.granitegear.com/lineloc-lid.html ).

I added as a "what-if" scenario. It offers a little convenience adding 7 liters of outside pocket space. I have it, used it once for quick grab n go stuff but a necessity? No. Nice to have? Maybe

I'm a pound a day hiker myself (minus water) but went 1.5 lbs as a worst case. Will adjust in spreadsheet to see the change.

Improved pack List: https://lighterpack.com/r/1lm65

Thanks & keep it coming!!!

Treat clothes (especially hat) with permethrin. Could get by with minimal light. Check out the Victorinox Ambassador knife. Just like the classic but slightly larger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++