WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default protein powder and electrolyte powder

How do you mix these if you use them on trail? I usually use a shaker bottle but I don't want to carry the extra weight. Anybody have any suggestions?

Images

What I'm trying this weekend is premixing my chocolate whey protein in with my instant oatmeal in freezer bags. Cook in the bag.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatgrounder View Post
    What I'm trying this weekend is premixing my chocolate whey protein in with my instant oatmeal in freezer bags. Cook in the bag.
    Let me know how this works out!

Images

I have done about 150 lbs of Maltodextrin mix on the trail as well as copious mounts of electrolytes.

1) Electrolytes are both mixed into my Malto mix as well as filled into capsules. I bought a little capsule filler that makes that easy. The amount in the Malto mix is more a base amount and then I vary the capsules accordingly.
    2) I current pack the Malto mix out into 20 oz. water bottles which makes them easier to pour into my 32 gator aid bottle for mixing. For my thru a bagged up hundreds of 300 calorie bags and poured then into the gator aid bottle.
    3) I suspect mixing will be as inconsistent with protein powder as Malto but generally it mixes much better with warmer water than cold. I would generally mix the powder in the evening for the next morning to help with that issue.

one question. Why the protein powder? carbs is much more efficient than protein for fuel. get it if it to maintain a baseline level of protein. If that's the case timing is everything.

Images

My use is just to supplement. Just finishing cancer treatment.

I just use NUUN for electrolytes. 12 tabs in a tube, just add to a water bottle

This is also what I do. I hope I can find enough along the way, I've noticed that drinking something other than just water really helps me.

This may be an option too for electrolytes, it's what I use when running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't too much of it and throw your metabolism out of wack. I've seen it happen.

I experimented with a cocoa/powdered milk/whey protein powder using a zip lock bag as a shaker/mixer, even being careful they tended to pop open and make a mess. I suspect it was the residue of fine powder along the seal that prevented a solid and reliable seal.

I ended up just mixing it in a cup with a spoon and drinking the gritty, poorly mixed concoction.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I have done about 150 lbs of Maltodextrin mix on the trail as well as copious mounts of electrolytes.

1) Electrolytes are both mixed into my Malto mix as well as filled into capsules. I bought a little capsule filler that makes that easy. The amount in the Malto mix is more a base amount and then I vary the capsules accordingly.
    2) I current pack the Malto mix out into 20 oz. water bottles which makes them easier to pour into my 32 gator aid bottle for mixing. For my thru a bagged up hundreds of 300 calorie bags and poured then into the gator aid bottle.
    3) I suspect mixing will be as inconsistent with protein powder as Malto but generally it mixes much better with warmer water than cold. I would generally mix the powder in the evening for the next morning to help with that issue.

one question. Why the protein powder? carbs is much more efficient than protein for fuel. get it if it to maintain a baseline level of protein. If that's the case timing is everything.
    I personally think for the amount of work you put on your body hiking everyday extra protein will help with recovering faster.

I mixed protein powder, cocoa powder, and coconut powder in zip-lock bags before the hike as part of my breakfast...one bag for each day. It's important that the powder doesn't get into the seal before closing the bag, otherwise they'll burst open. Also, be careful where/how you pack them in your pack. On the hike, I would cut off a small corner of the baggie with my pocket-knife scissors, and force the powder mix into an empty plastic (vitamin water) bottle and then add water. I reused the bottle until I got to town, and then bought a new bottle at the gas station.

I use a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle for a shaker bottle. These weigh about 1.2 ounces empty. Use it as an additional water bottle to help to keep it clean.

Dan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    I personally think for the amount of work you put on your body hiking everyday extra protein will help with recovering faster.
    No quarrel with that at all. Protein, especially at the end of the day, is I believe one of the keys to being able to sustain maximum output day after day.

as far as electrolytes go, there is no need for expensive products. You can mix you own at a fraction of the cost. recipe is here. http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pac...e-Engine/19697

I use a 20 oz gatorade bottle to shake my coffee and hot chocolate in in the morning. I also use this bottle to strap to my pack to drink from as I am walking. I don't know why you couldn't use one of these. Maybe you can bring one of those metal spring balls to help it mix up and store it in your cook pot.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Bktourer1 View Post
    I just use NUUN for electrolytes. 12 tabs in a tube, just add to a water bottle
    Costco has Nuun on their website at a good price - $21 for 63 tablets, shipped. They are in individual pouches, but if you wanted, you could repackage them into a used Nuun tube.
    http://www.costco.com/nuun-Active-Hy...=10301&refine=

Images

I think I would just carry the shaker bottle. You can use it for drinking water of course as well. And I am going to look into how you can buy the individual pouches of protein powder mix by Muscle Milk. I use these for myself and my son as a supplement. Never thought about using them on the trail til this topic came up. It's a good idea, Thanks.

saltstick tabs are a good option for runners and hikers I think.

A lot of backpackers use plastic peanut-butter "jars" to pre-hydrate dried food, to mix non-cooked food in, to drink out of etc. Pick the size you want, eat the peanut-butter, then use it as a versatile, wide-mouth, ultra-light, water tight, food and drink container.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

When you eat 4000 calories per day, you will be getting adequate protein without the hassle from tuna, nuts, peanut butter, jerky, and milk powder. Foods like quinoa also have complete protein.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++