WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default March 1 Start - Welcome to the AT - GA Snow!

I feel kind of bad today as while I was out on the trail I warned the the 15 or so thru-hikers that there was rain in the forecast and being only in the mid 30s and windy it would be real important to cover up and stay dry when it started. Well precipitation did start around 1pm as expected, but the temps up here at elevation dropped and we already have 4+ inches of snow at Grassy Gap (just north of Gooch Gap).

I personally prefer snow to rain at these temps but no forecasts called for snow. Most of the hikers were already complaining about how cold and windy it was. Just a classic example of needing to be prepared for anything regardless of forecasts. I hope they all handle this bump in the road and get properly prepared for the inevitable snow this time of year further north.

Images

A few years ago it snowed 14" on March 19th here about 26 miles north of Hot Springs NC.It takes a few days to melt too and my freeze into ice on shaded north slopes.Next week it is supposed to be in the mid 70s by Wednesday here in Greeneville.Subtract 10-15* for the high ridges which the AT mostly follows.Already many NOBOs have passed through this area and are getting snowed on again today.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

and cant forget the Blizzard Of 93, which hit the second week of March.......

and thrus in the Smokys had to be airlifted out........

(i was on the road trying to see the grateful dead in richfield during that blizzard)

i left Woody gap this mornin' at 9am. good thing

It seems like there has been more snow down south then up here in NH this winter. Couple more days of winter, then it's back to spring like temps here in the Whites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and cant forget the Blizzard Of 93, which hit the second week of March.......

and thrus in the Smokys had to be airlifted out........

(i was on the road trying to see the grateful dead in richfield during that blizzard)
    Hiking out in the cold rain and snow, rain and snow....

Images

I've had it both ways in Georgia in March -- really nice one time, and freaking cold the other. (The third time was in June, and it was unseasonably cold the first two nights, with frost on our tarps. In June.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

anything can happen weather wise in the mountains in march

Last March I needed my headnet for the bugs. Now it's snowing. Personal rule of thumb? Always take your full winter kit in March. Plus, I would expect AT backpackers in March to bail into towns at the first sign of snow or cold.

++ New Posts ++