WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Budget Inn Hiawassee

I just wanted to update that the outfitter at budget in is open! This is the best place to stay in Georgia, not only do they have gear, unlike top of Georgia, but they drive you around for free! And I'm talking about the nicest people in the state, willing to bend over backwards for us! Please show your appreciation if you do happen to stop by! Shout out to mufassa who saved us from the snow!

It should also be noted by the 2016 people that if you opt to share a motel with friends, you'll not only have the room to yourself as opposed to bunking with a bunch of people you don't know, but you can stay in the shower as long as you want; have unrestricted use of the television (i.e. no early shut-down of the TV room); you'll have easy foot access to supermarkets, all manner of nearby restaurants, including several AYCE buffets; the laundromat, pharmacy, library, etc. And there's convenience store one minute away for those in need of soda, beer, tobacco, snacks, you name it. Oh, and here's the real kicker: Sharing a motel room with friends is also CHEAPER than staying at a hostel, and LOTS cheaper if you split the room four ways. In short, the Trail hostel experience is often a great one, but there are absolutely places where the prudent hiker would do better to stay in a hiker-friendly motel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron l View Post
    not only do they have gear, unlike top of Georgia
    What happened to the gear shop at TOG? Pretty well stocked last time I saw it.

The proprietors of TOG have opened a new shop near Woody Gap, a pretty obvious attempt to try and take business away from the Mountain Crossings shop at Neel Gap, a few miles further down the Trail. From my feedback and discussion with dozens of this year's hikers, in terms of staff knowledge, gear know-how, and Trail experience, one would do well to shop at Mountain Crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    What happened to the gear shop at TOG? Pretty well stocked last time I saw it.
    Yeah, so well stocked they opened an outfitter shop at Woody Gap. I believe the OP has it wrong regarding gear at TOG.

This almost feels like a new sort of "Trolling Spam"...Not that I am a fan of of some of the establishments mentioned, not saying which, but I just didn't care for the tone lol sounds like they are really putting down TOG from a business POV and not a customer.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Well, I had a fine time at Top of Georgia last summer and would like to put in a good word for the place. Yes, there are rules (Sir Packs-a-Lot runs a tight ship), but they weren't in the least unreasonable. I went into Hiawassee at 1, had an AYCE meal and resupplied at a really good supermarket, then returned to the hostel at 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    This almost feels like a new sort of "Trolling Spam"...Not that I am a fan of of some of the establishments mentioned, not saying which, but I just didn't care for the tone lol sounds like they are really putting down TOG from a business POV and not a customer.
    I agree. It would be nice if this wasn't spilling over from the FB groups this is occurring in.

Got to disagree with a post above. Please re-read my comments: What I said was that in some cases, most hikers will probably get more out of a motel stay than they will in a hostel, and that they can even save money by doing so. This is absolutely the case in Hiawassee.

I further said that if one needs a superb gear shop near (or I should say ON) the A.T. in North Georgia, one would do well to patronize the Mountain crossings store in Neel Gap, one of the truly great outfitters on the entire Trail. It has been taking care of hikers, especially long-distance hikers, for decades.

In making these simple statements of fact, i.e. the fact that Mountain Crossings is an extraordinarily well-run place, or that for many reasons, I prefer staying in town at a motel when visiting Hiawassee, I am not putting anyone or any place "down". I am merely stating a personal opinion, one in which I put some places "up". To steer people towards superior facilities and businesses is not trolling or spamming anyone, it is in fact helping people make decisions that, in my opinion, will enhance their hike.

And note to Capehiker: Some of the most useful posts I've seen here over the years, i.e. ones that deserve to be viewed by as many hikers as possible, were comments that "spilled over" from other Trail sites. The more informed people are, and the more sources of information they're exposed to, the better they'll be when making decisions on where to spend their time and money. The fact that a discussion has been taking place elsewhere does not in and of itself mean that it serves no purpose to further those discussions here. If comments and threads are valuable to people, especially the folks hiking this year, then they should be viewed.....and discussed.....by as many people as possible.

Images

Seeing as how you are talking about Hiawassee and the Budget Inn, Ron Haven I know you check this thread and I wanted to give you a big thanks from my days in Franklin in 08. You invited us to join your family at the AYCE in Franklin, you loaned us your car so we could slack from the top of the mountain, etc. You've done a lot for people and I just wanted people to know it goes a long ways back in time. Thanks again.
    Gypsy 04

Can't speak more highly of Ron Haven or the Hostel at MC.

I've never been to ToG... maybe not have been there when I passed through in 2012, however, MC had a quality store. I picked up some Gatorade powder and some "waldies", which I still wear on the trail to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    And note to Capehiker: Some of the most useful posts I've seen here over the years, i.e. ones that deserve to be viewed by as many hikers as possible, were comments that "spilled over" from other Trail sites. The more informed people are, and the more sources of information they're exposed to, the better they'll be when making decisions on where to spend their time and money. The fact that a discussion has been taking place elsewhere does not in and of itself mean that it serves no purpose to further those discussions here. If comments and threads are valuable to people, especially the folks hiking this year, then they should be viewed.....and discussed.....by as many people as possible.
    Just saw this reply to my previous post.

Jack-

I agree with the intent of your post. My post was in reply to a series of what appeared to be character assassination posts in various FB groups at the time of this original thread. There is definitely some angst between competing services, and no doubt everyone needs to make a living. However, some of the posts a few weeks back were not business related and were straight attacks on character. That is why I made mentioned of posts spilling over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The proprietors of TOG have opened a new shop near Woody Gap, a pretty obvious attempt to try and take business away from the Mountain Crossings shop at Neel Gap, a few miles further down the Trail. From my feedback and discussion with dozens of this year's hikers, in terms of staff knowledge, gear know-how, and Trail experience, one would do well to shop at Mountain Crossings.
    That's a ___'s Gap move.

I'm loyal to MC and Hiawassee is just one of those places you have to visit. Every time. So the amenities at the Budget Inn are my choice.

Got back late last night after spending wonderful afternoon and evening at the hiker bash at the Budget Inn in Hiawassee. Thanks to Ron Haven and his motel staff and other friends for the endless food, music, and everything else; also enjoyed meeting around fifty or so hikers who I hope to see again when they get up to Franklin. Proving yet again that this is the place for hikers to stay when they're in or near Hiawassee!

Images

Friends,
    Thanks to all for giving me the opportunity to serve you. I look forward to serving you and others again as you pass through. Also, thanks to the volunteers who worked hard to make the bash possible and thanks to those who attended. Have a great hike everyone !!!!

++ New Posts ++