WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMT Thru-Hike

Default BMT Thru-Hike

Hey all,

I'm currently planning a thru-hike of the BMT this upcoming April, probably starting around April 4. I plan on giving myself 21 days to complete the trail, and needless to say I am super excited. I've been on a couple long distance trips before and have hiked along the AT, but I was curious if you guys had any advice for a prospective thru hiker? The primary reason I'm doing this trial is to prepare for my upcoming thru hike of the JMT this July, as well as the fact that I'm graduating college in May.

I'm particularly interested in which guidebooks are recommended, as well as around how many people I can expect to see on the trail? My reasoning for choosing the BMT is that I really would like to see as few people as possible, aka not the Appalachian Trail. Also can anyone comment on the wildlife along the trail? I've lived in Georgia all my life, so I'd assume it's not much different from any other area along the AT / Smokies, but it never hurts to ask.

Lastly, I'm curious if anyone can comment on how much their thru hike cost? On the AT, my cost was about $1 a mile for about 300 miles, but I'm concerned things may get a little more expensive on the AT and whether or not I should consider mailing all my supplies.

Thanks so much for any help! It's much appreciated

Hope you enjoy your alone time, and should plan on long distances between resupply. Ive done about 75 miles of the BMT, its not for me I enjoy campfire stories too much
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

First thing I'd do is get sgt rocks book on the BMT...

it has basically every piece of info (shuttles, stores and route) except for the money part...

I've only have done bits and pieces of the BMT and not had to resupply, but I would think that would be slightly more difficult than the AT....

Quote Originally Posted by jreader213 View Post

around how many people I can expect to see on the trail? My reasoning for choosing the BMT is that I really would like to see as few people as possible, aka not the Appalachian Trail. Also can anyone comment on the wildlife along the trail?
    d
    You've picked a good trail for your goals. As I entered SMNP, my goal was to finally start seeing more people than bears, and I did succeed. I had company my first night, and then no one at a campsite until I was in SMNP. However, I spent a few nights alone in the park and I hiked around the same time you will be hiking, though it was very rainy. The biggest difference in the wildlife is that the bears outside the park aren't trained that hikers have food like some of the ones along the AT.

You're not too isolated; I did see several people or cars driving by on many of the road crossings or where the trail runs near a road.

Images

and you'll probably run into people in the bob bald/hangover area.....

might run into some in big frog/little frog area....

of the little bits of the BMT i have backpacked on----those are the places ive seen people...............and maybe along the sycamore creek/bald river area....

besides the national park---those are kinda the next popular areas........

I have completed the BMT, saw very few hikers, used and needed sgt Rock guidebook and the national geographic maps. Resupply was easier than expected, included mail drops in cherry log, reliance, tellico fish hatchery, fontana. I hope that section south of the hatchery is in better condition than last year.
    Beware the bunkhouse in reliance - it was filthy and foul last year - don't pay until you have checked it out. Had I known I'd have used the hot showers at the thunder rock cg and not stayed in reliance ...

We did the BMT-AT Loop Thru-hike in 2010. Check out our journal summary page for navigation info, AT vs BMT comparisons including number of hikers and other info: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317704

There are a couple tricky areas where we did have to pull out our map and compass.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and you'll probably run into people in the bob bald/hangover area.....

might run into some in big frog/little frog area....

of the little bits of the BMT i have backpacked on----those are the places ive seen people...............and maybe along the sycamore creek/bald river area....

besides the national park---those are kinda the next popular areas........
    I don't know, I was out in January and February for 38 days in these areas and didn't see a single backpacker the whole time (if you don't count Patman who I invited to meet me on Rocky Flats).

Jreader213---You may be interested in a BMT trip I did last year with Amy Willow. She thruhiked the trail and I met here in Unicoi Gap on Joe Brown "highway" and backpacked north with her to Tapoco Lodge and the Yellow Creek Mt reroute trail. See pics here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...-Amy/i-Kz9bpkd

And here's some pics of the Tapoco Yellow Creek Mt section---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keywo...%20creek%20mt/

Hey all,

I'm currently planning a thru-hike of the BMT this upcoming April, probably starting around April 4. I plan on giving myself 21 days to complete the trail, and needless to say I am super excited. I've been on a couple long distance trips before and have hiked along the AT, but I was curious if you guys had any advice for a prospective thru hiker? The primary reason I'm doing this trial is to prepare for my upcoming thru hike of the JMT this July, as well as the fact that I'm graduating college in May.

I'm particularly interested in which guidebooks are recommended, as well as around how many people I can expect to see on the trail? My reasoning for choosing the BMT is that I really would like to see as few people as possible, aka not the Appalachian Trail. Also can anyone comment on the wildlife along the trail? I've lived in Georgia all my life, so I'd assume it's not much different from any other area along the AT / Smokies, but it never hurts to ask.

Lastly, I'm curious if anyone can comment on how much their thru hike cost? On the AT, my cost was about $1 a mile for about 300 miles, but I'm concerned things may get a little more expensive on the AT and whether or not I should consider mailing all my supplies.

Thanks so much for any help! It's much appreciated
    The BMT is by far my favorite trail. I would strongly recommend STG Rock's guide book. I wouldn't hike without it. Also look at the two map 777 and especially 781.

The trail is much more solitary which is what I love about it. It is much more different to thru hike than the AT because of the longer resupply points and few people/hiker services. Planning is far more important on the BMT.

You will not see many people on the trail, except at a few popular locations: where the trail is near the AT, toccoa bridge, and some other places. I section hiked the entire trail and maybe saw 5-6 backpackers and never had to share a campsite. I loved it.

As to cost and planning, the BMT guide does provide some guidance for it.

As to the wildlife, the Cohutta Wilderness has many, many bears. I had hiked well over 600 miles and never seen a bear. In about 5 hours we saw 5 bears. Needless to say, I was happy to get the heck out of there.

I love being alone on the trail. It sounds like you do too. So you should enjoy the BMT.

Also, I did a virtual hike of the BMT. If you are interested in looking at the trail, take a look at it in my signature.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

http://www.bmta.org/HikerResources.htm

http://www.bmta.org/HikerResources.htm#SuggestedMaps

The BMTA site has rather condensed fully described beta that has Guidebook and map options.

FWIW, on a 2013 AT-BMT Figure Eight Loop Thru-hike and another completed BMT done in two section hikes over two yrs I used the three Nat Geo maps(you don't need all four as the BMT site seems to suggest) which I already had and purchased two of the three BMTA Section Booklets(Ga, Smokies, TN/NC). Sgt Rock's well done and usually regularly updated Guidebook would certainly be sufficient too as a Guidebook rather than the three Section Booklets. I already had one Section Booklet so went with the Section Booklet approach which was largely overkill for me. Sgt Rock authored one of these Booklets. I believe some of Sgt Rocks BMT Guidebook proceeds go to to maintaining the BMT as well as the Databook and Section Booklets. Some get away with the tiny BMT Databook and perhaps some maps and possibly trail descriptions. This info is all available already on line if you wish to print it out yourself. Postholer has the trail topo mapped(zoom in) with water sources depicted. In the same table are trail descriptions. http://www.bmtguide.com/section.html

FWIW, a BMT thru would certainly assist in some ways with preparing for a JMT thru(gear shake down, some conditioning, etc) but if I was advising on a training regimine for a JMT thru I wouldn't advise a straight BMT thru. I'd want to see you doing greater elevational changes which would include some of the BMT but also the Duncan Ridge Trail, AT(Blood, Slaughter, Brasstown, etc), greater ups/downs in GSMNP rather than the Lakeshore Tr, Sterling from Deep Creek TH is a good climb I'd want to see you doing much more of, for example) etc. The BMT is a rather lower elevation sometimes flat alternate to the AT.

Being an overall lower elev hike compared to the AT it is warmer which coincides IMO with different wildlife and seasonal wildlife habits. I've always seemed to encounter more snakes sometimes rattlesnakes and copperheads on the BMT. Watch, especially through thick brush and overgrown trail sections, especially when going through brambles in sunny ridge areas. Plenty of birds like owls, hawks, song birds, some waterfowl, etc, definitely some black bears, amphibians, raccoons, opossum, fox, a rare Fisher, the occasional coyote, rabbit, squirrels, etc Look for Hellbenders(Mud Dogs). They are cool.

Expect a vastly less crowded hike overall on a BMT thru compared to an AT hike of the same length. As stated, you'll hike some areas where you'll see more people and probably none in other long stretches. You'll be camping more by yourself on the BMT rather than with others as is customary on the AT. I never camped with anyone on any of my BMT hikes. Never had issue finding nice untrodden beat down campsites either.

We also saw a platoon on the Bald about 5 miles from Springer in the early am on Friday. Wanna talk about freaky! I was on top of them before my husband says "oh there's a hunter" and it's NOT hunting season. Then out of nowhere it seemed like there was 100 well armed, camouflaged men lying in the snow. My husband said there was 25. I think I was n shock. About an hour later we heard the Blackhawks fly in to extract them. Now that was surreal!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonecampn View Post
    We also saw a platoon on the Bald about 5 miles from Springer in the early am on Friday. Wanna talk about freaky! I was on top of them before my husband says "oh there's a hunter" and it's NOT hunting season. Then out of nowhere it seemed like there was 100 well armed, camouflaged men lying in the snow. My husband said there was 25. I think I was n shock. About an hour later we heard the Blackhawks fly in to extract them. Now that was surreal!
    I think Army Rangers in training have one of the training phases somewhere around there. I've found blank brass and belt links on the trail.

Thank you guys for all the input! Luckily my roommate had a copy of Sgt Rock's guide so I was able to steal that from him. I've done some backpacking up in the Cohuttas before, so it's good to know that I won't be experience too much out of the ordinary in terms of wildlife and scenery.

My last question that I've been pondering over the last few days, is how well marked the trail is? Is there a section I should be concerned about / that Sgt Rock's book from last year might not be up to date on? I'm confident in my skills to stick to the trail and use a compass/map, but I'd much rather know where I should be especially concerned going in rather than when I'm on the trail.

Some tricky junctions. Some use paths, ATV tracks, etc that cross the BMT tread. The BMT is not as well signed or blazed as the AT is. FWIW, I've never been on a any trail anywhere in the U.S. as blazed and signed and as easy to stay on trail on task as the AT. The BMT was designed to be a more wilder trail. And, yes IMHO it is.

I remember going thru the Little Frog wilderness from the north end (near Deep Gap??) and suddenly all blazes stopped and for about an hour I wasn't sure I was on the trail.

There are no white blazes on the BMT in any of the wilderness areas: Cohutta, Big Frog, Little Frog, Brookshire, Citico to the Bob and none in the Slickrock wilderness from the Bob to the Hangover and down to Big Fat Gap and beyond on Windy Gap to Yellowhammer and Ike Branch. The trail is visible though.

+1 of Dogwood and Tipi Walter. There are places where there aren't any blazes. There are places where the trail takes hard turns with little or no warning. Most trails have a single post with trail numbers. Pay attention to these.

Also, I would strongly recommend getting Nat Geo map 777 and especially 781.

The trail goes through several wilderness areas with virtually no blazing. It is nothing like the AT, but the first 70ish miles are very well blazed and easy to follow much like the AT.

The BMT is "composed" of several smaller, intersecting trails. It could be a little confusing.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Thanks for all the help guys! I especially appreciate the map suggestions. If anyone comes up with any other ideas definitely feel free to chime in. I'm still debating a start time, but it's looking as if I'll be out there between April 8 through the 28.

Thanks for all the help guys! I especially appreciate the map suggestions. If anyone comes up with any other ideas definitely feel free to chime in. I'm still debating a start time, but it's looking as if I'll be out there between April 8 through the 28.

I think that should be an excellent time of year to do the BMT. You will must likely need Srgt Rocks guide in the Big Frog / Cohutta, it can be tricky. The two times I've been on the trail were completely solitary (except) two weeks ago we saw two guys and a couple of groups at the AT intersections. Enjoy your time on the trail

Hey all! Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would just bump this one up a little bit.

I'm trying to get my resupply options all in order and I wanted a little input/advice. Currently I'm planning on mail dropping supplies to Jacks River Country Store @ mile 72.6 and the Green Cove Motel @ mile 152. I'm pretty comfortable with these two resupply points and the amount of weight it'll add, but I'm not sure about where to resupply after this. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to resupply after mile 152 that's preferably at least 70 miles or 6 to 7 days away, and hopefully not too far from the trail? Carrying 9 days from Green Cove to Davenport seems kinda brutal.

I will be hiking the JMT this Summer and I will go through about 110 miles without resupply, but I'd prefer to stick to about 6 - 7 days rather than the full 9 at this point in time.

IF you are doing the re-route, there is a hostel near Fontana Dam, just before you enter the smokies. It may be an ideal place for you to resupply before you do the last 90-100 miles.

I think it is called the Hike Inn. It is 5-6 miles south of Fontana Dam. 828-479-3677 I am getting this info from the AT guide.

Also look into Fontana Lodge/ Fontana Village 800-849-2258 ot 828-498-2211.

These options are about 190 mile mark.

Also, look here: http://bmtguide.com/errata.pdf
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++