WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by B_Rizzle View Post
    I think it will be really hard to get an UQ from a cottage vendor in under two weeks.
    I got all of my quilts from Hammock Gear less than 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    How wide is the Klymit?
    23". And because the baffles are flexible lengthwise and sideways, it conforms to your body very well in the hammock.

I found an inexpensive underquilt on Amazon by SnugPak for $50 though I havent bought one for myself yet. It has 25 reviews but sounds like its only good for mild temps down to 40* possibly.

This is the stretch I would like to do sometime soon. I am down in Mobile, AL and it is basically hot down here, but am interested in section hiking the trail over 3-5 years and have been camping this year in temps from 28 to high. I keep looking at the incubator 20 and wondering if I will roast when I need something at 60. Then I look at the 40 and start thinking about adding 2oz for when it hits 30. I am actively reading here and on hammockforums, but I don't see anyone talking about whether or not you can manage to make an "overkill" underquilt (ie one that is rated 40-50 degrees low for the temperature... work by using a 60 degree sleeping bag and/or sleeping in a base layer on top. I really don't want to cook underneath and freeze up top... so to speak and I am sure some people have experimented.... so any advice?

Images

Just as an FYI:
    On the facebook group: Hammock Hangers Flea Market & Trading Post -- there are these two quilts right now.

30* Underquilt by Underground Quilts

$220

0* Underquilt by Underground Quilts
    $275

I don't have any knowledge of the quilts, the seller or anything else. This is just an FYI.

Miguelon

I hiked that section last year in June. I had a tent; however, many people had hammocks.

In July and August, I tried out hammocking in Michigan. If I were to do GA-NOC again, I would hammock - ONLY IF I HAD AN UNDERQUILT or a PAD! Hammocking is MUCH colder than tenting! Put it this way, I was FREEZING in a hammock overnight in August in Michigan!

Yet, if you get the right underquilt and have a closed cell matt, you might be ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Pipswich View Post
    This is the stretch I would like to do sometime soon. I am down in Mobile, AL and it is basically hot down here, but am interested in section hiking the trail over 3-5 years and have been camping this year in temps from 28 to high. I keep looking at the incubator 20 and wondering if I will roast when I need something at 60. Then I look at the 40 and start thinking about adding 2oz for when it hits 30. I am actively reading here and on hammockforums, but I don't see anyone talking about whether or not you can manage to make an "overkill" underquilt (ie one that is rated 40-50 degrees low for the temperature... work by using a 60 degree sleeping bag and/or sleeping in a base layer on top. I really don't want to cook underneath and freeze up top... so to speak and I am sure some people have experimented.... so any advice?
    I've used a 20* UQ when the temps were in the 60s plenty of times and it wasn't too hot. You can hang the UQ loosely or use the suspension to create gaps that allow air to flow between the hammock and the UQ, which will cool you down considerably.
    -tagg

By the time you bring all the kit to keep you warm in a Hammock, I think a tent makes more sense

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rhughesnc View Post
    By the time you bring all the kit to keep you warm in a Hammock, I think a tent makes more sense
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I used my same bag and pad in my Hennessy for years. I traded them out for bottom and top quilts. Quilts are more susceptible to convection/wind, for sure, and there are very lightweight options to mitigate that. Its really not a lot of kit. And thank the lord, I'm not lying on the ground!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

No more to the hammock kit than the tent kit. Hammock under quilt - Tent pad, Hammock rain fly - Tent rain fly, Hammock - Tent inner tent, Hammock top quilt - Tent sleeping bag, Hammock suspension - Tent poles.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipswich View Post
    I keep looking at the incubator 20 and wondering if I will roast when I need something at 60.
    See below

download.jpg

I did an extensive cost and weight analysis before choosing my kit. The two options were surprisingly close in both weight and cost - assuming you want good quality gear. I decided to go the hammock route. On the fist section hike out of Springer, all my buddies had tents. On the next section hike, those buddies switched to a hammock. I think the big plus with the hammock is comfort. I don't have to worry about smooth or even level ground. Some small weeds? No prob. Just hang over them. I've even hung the hammock over a fallen tree.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    See below

download.jpg
    Have to disagree here. Do you roast on your bed in your house when it's 60*?

Your bed is a much better insulator than an UQ. 20*F is a great UQ for all around.

If it's high 70s or above you can get by without using one.

Journal Entries

I carry a WB Wooki 0* UQ matched with a WB 20* Mamba TQ with a CCF pad for cold weather trips. For Summer I use a 20* WB Yeti 3/4 UQ with the 20* Mamba TQ. When it gets warmer I just sleep with the TQ off of me. It is still there if it starts to get cooler.
    Blackheart

I am looking to get a camping hammock from here https://www.hammockdream.com/shop/camping-hammocks/ what do you guys think? They look pretty reliable, but I am not an expert.

Images

Judging from the fact that they say the hanging distance is 11.5', then the length of the hammock appears to be what they are calling the "bed" and only 8.8'. That is going to be small, and although that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work for you, the standard camping hammock these days is 11'x58". Personally, my sweet spot is 10.5'x64" and I'm 5'10". So, while the price looks right, there are things I see that make me think this wouldn't be a great option longer term - meaning you'd get some nights in it and probably upgrade. Not a bad option to go cheap and then upgrade once you really know your preferences, but I personally would not recommend this one.

I'll give a couple of examples of what I think is a good, cheap first setup...

First, the hammock you referenced seems like a Byer Kakoon knockoff. The Kakoon used to be short also, but I believe its a full 10' now, which is not bad. Costs around the same as the one referenced. My link is for the complete pkg, which is something you need to think about when putting it all together. What size tarp do I want/need? What do I want the overall weight of the whole setup to be? Do you need to reserve some cash for an underquilt/topquilt, or will you use a pad and bag that you already have? Do I really need a net? I don't use one.

I think this Kakoon setup is about the minimum I would do. I think what I'd rather see you do is get a cheaper netless hammock ($40-80) and a diamond tarp ($60-70) with adjustable suspension $30 (not straps with loops, which are OK, I just don't like the inefficiency of doubling straps over on themselves and then adding caribiners to the setup). I can pretty much guarantee you'd be happier with that setup for about $200 over the Kakoon. A net can be purchased separately if needed. I would visit the Whiteblaze.net sister side, HammockForums.net and ask some questions there and even check out the for sale section. Dutchwaregear.com is a great one-stop shop for everything you need, though there are other vendors you'll probably want to check out.

This is my setup...

single hammock
    hammock suspension
    asym tarp for mild warm weather or tarp with doors for cool breezy weather
    Last edited by scope; 05-08-2017 at 10:11.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

The Hammock Gears can be loosened to allow more or less air to pass through. Check Sugs vid on the proper way to adjust the HG and he discusses it there.
    Upside for the HG are the bafflels at the ends that seal the quilt tight when needed. It might be patened.

Warbonnet Blackbird and Superfly tarp. Get the Hammock in double layer. Skeeters can bite though a single layer. Plus you can put a pad or such between the layers for warmer weather. Get the Hammock Gear zero incubator if you can. It has height, length and tightness / airflow adjustments. It will be cold in the Smokies. Short is for 5'7" and shorter peeps. UQ is the most important peice. I got a sock for it too.
    Here is how to set up the Superfly tarp. It is a four season tarp. Two vids by Standing Bear. The tiny door clips are too small though. I got larger clips at my local hardware store. The Dutch hookworms tieout hardware is great. Need 6. Get a Wasp and a tarp fleaz for the Ridgeline. Get 1.75 diameter 180ft spool of la**** (grey) or Zingit color. Same stuff.
    https://youtu.be/SHWpK4iIsSw
    Last edited by macdiver; 07-09-2017 at 16:12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++