WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Xtherm noise - I found the reason

Xtherm Noise: The lightbulb went on last Sunday morning. Mystery solved.
    I pulled my Xtherm out of the closet Sunday morning. Laid out flat across my king size bed. Deflated. I began rolling it up to put it in the car. It made the crinkling sound.
    Several people have said that when they removed an Xtherm from the packaging in a store that it made a crinkling sound. Until I proved it to myself I was skeptical. Having heard the noise when the Xtherm WAS DEFLATED, I can understand why folks were put off. To be honest, the sound wasn't that loud.
    Potential buyers of the Xtherm: Inflate it. lay on it. Roll back and forth on the pad. It doesn't make the same noise that it did when deflated.
    In all of my testing, the Xtherm was inflated. No sounds when I am trying to sleep. A bit of crinkle when deflated. Quiet when inflated and in use. Give the Xtherm a try.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

It's awful even when inflated - like trying to sleep on a bag of potato chips. It's inherently noisy due to the material that it's made from - actually pretty similar to a potato chip bag film. I found that there were too many other good options out there to put up with the noise. I viewed it as another example of "It sucks, but hey, it's UL!"

Personally I consider it to be the sound of comfort and warmth.

Unforunately the cost is so great it is hard to just give it a try.

However, most outfitters in my area have the pads inflated to try in the store.

What noise ?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    It's awful even when inflated - like trying to sleep on a bag of potato chips. It's inherently noisy due to the material that it's made from - actually pretty similar to a potato chip bag film. I found that there were too many other good options out there to put up with the noise. I viewed it as another example of "It sucks, but hey, it's UL!"

My pad is quiet . It sucks ? It's very warm and 9 oz for a short is light and durable . What other 2.5 " thick pad is available that's warm and light ?

Obviously a few people bought the noisy model.
    Thank goodness I opted for the silent model. Quiet. Comfortable. Warm or cold temperatures do not affect the quality of sleep. 30% off was an added bonus.
    Don't listen to me. I'm a clueless Old Timer. Listen to the experts like Just Bill.
    We can't all be wrong.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Yes I too opted for the quite model so I could listen to my fellow hikers snore without that crinkly distraction sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Yes I too opted for the quite model so I could listen to my fellow hikers snore without that crinkly distraction sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All the more reason to find solitude.

Wayne

Yeah, the inflated models I have seen are still horrendously noisy. Now if I did a lot of winter camping, is certainly suck it up and deal with it. But since the vast majority of my trips are 3-seasonish, I have more options. I can always layer a ccf pad over my current air mattress for winter conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

ive got it. best mattress ive ever had, and ive had a lot.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Exped Downmat UL 7. Almost as light as the XTherm (3oz difference for the regular size (M vs. MAX Regular) model). Equally compact. Warmer. 100% Silent. LW model fills up in 3 quick fills of the included pump sack. Superior valves. Has enough loft to partially self-inflate or function as a waterproof emergency blanket even if damaged and unable to be inflated. At least for me, I've finally found an air mattress that's perfect for my needs. I have yet to see the silent XTherm model in person, and with certainty the current run is noisy any time you move while laying on it.

While I never had this pad, I did have a Nemo that was CRAZY loud. I LOVED the loft and comfort when I lay on it in the store; however, on the trail, it took me 5 days to sleep well on it - had to make it to the point of exhaustion!

Funny thing is... when I came home, I offered it to my other family members. Husband was SO excited until he tried it. End of Story! Younger son - he loves it! - But he can sleep through anything!!!!

I shouda bought 3 when I had the chance. If mine craters, I'm hosed.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Exped Downmat UL 7. Almost as light as the XTherm (3oz difference for the regular size (M vs. MAX Regular) model). Equally compact. Warmer. 100% Silent. LW model fills up in 3 quick fills of the included pump sack. Superior valves. Has enough loft to partially self-inflate or function as a waterproof emergency blanket even if damaged and unable to be inflated. At least for me, I've finally found an air mattress that's perfect for my needs. I have yet to see the silent XTherm model in person, and with certainty the current run is noisy any time you move while laying on it.
    Nice pad have u seen this https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/103798/

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    My pad is quiet . It sucks ? It's very warm and 9 oz for a short is light and durable . What other 2.5 " thick pad is available that's warm and light ?
    Exped Downmat 7 for one - maybe a couple of ounces heavier, but warmer and quiet. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Exped Downmat 7 for one - maybe a couple of ounces heavier, but warmer and quiet. YMMV

How much warmer R.2 that's not a much R5.7 to R5.9 . So your right it's warmer, weighs more, cost more. Would like to try one . I got my xtherm short for $75. New . Very happy with it .

I should have added . I have bin trying to buy my backpacking goods that are made in the USA .

How much warmer R.2 that's not a much R5.7 to R5.9 . So your right it's warmer, weighs more, cost more. Would like to try one . I got my xtherm short for $75. New . Very happy with it .
    If I just toss out my Exped will that ease your apparent angst? I'll never understand why people take such a personal stake in other's choice of gear - other than having doubts about and needing to reinforce their own choices. Buy and use what you like - no one cares (especially me). in the specific case of the xtherm - it was a sleeping pad that I was unable to sleep on due to the noise. Because it failed at its only use case, I moved on. Maybe you should, too.

Ha ha ha you are so funny .

Yes, two points:
    * The down can fall and make gaps when set vertically, but when you lay it horizontally and lay on ot a bit, no gaps in the down remain. I verified by lifting it up to a fluorescent tibe light after doing so.
    * The downmat is insulated edge-to-edge unlike the Winterlite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++