WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Journal Entries

Insanely heavy when wet , and will chafe you raw

I am flashing back to childhood memories of trying to put frozen jeans on from the laundry line, only to have them melt on my body....the dampness. The memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I never wear jeans anyways
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I just spent a few minutes clearing snow off the car while wearing jeans. They are a snow magnet. No problem at home, but in the woods?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

-

when I hike in my 400$ designer jeans, my butt looks so sexy that I am attacked by a deluge of hiker chicks - that is what I find to be problematic

some whiners apparently have other issues

This post is hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    when I hike in my 400$ designer jeans, my butt looks so sexy that I am attacked by a deluge of hiker chicks - that is what I find to be problematic

some whiners apparently have other issues
    pictures or it did t happen.

Images

Default What's Wrong with Jeans?

PYOP

Pick Your Own Pants

Journal Entries
    Images

Nothing wrong with jeans if you can get back to civilization quickly and don't mind restriction of movement. Like most guys, I grew up wearing jeans. They're great when the weather is between 45 and 75 degrees, which is most of the year where I come from, and you're relatively sedentary. They're horrible if it's hot or cold out, and God forbid they get wet. Just about every time I go out hiking, I have on the gear and clothing I'll be using on my section hikes and thru-hikes. One thing the military taught me is that you "train like you fight." It applies as much to knowing how to use your sleep system in different types of weather, as it does to the clothes you're wearing and the stove with which you'll be cooking.

I wear jeans in town. I wear them hiking sometimes if the forecast is cool and dry and I'm going less than ten miles.

Quote Originally Posted by nogray View Post
    I have read a lot of posts where people scoff at hikers in jeans. I've been a longtime camper and hiker and I've always worn jeans. I am most comfortable in them. I realize they can be problematic when you mix wet and cold, but I've always been able to live with that (although I have limited experience camping at altitude, so maybe that comes into play). With most hiker pants, I feel like I'm wearing parachute pants. It's a vain thing, but I feel completely ridiculous wearing them.

So, am I missing something? Why are jeans so vilified?

::nogray

Quote Originally Posted by nogray View Post
    I have read a lot of posts where people scoff at hikers in jeans. I've been a longtime camper and hiker and I've always worn jeans. I am most comfortable in them. I realize they can be problematic when you mix wet and cold, but I've always been able to live with that (although I have limited experience camping at altitude, so maybe that comes into play). With most hiker pants, I feel like I'm wearing parachute pants. It's a vain thing, but I feel completely ridiculous wearing them.

So, am I missing something? Why are jeans so vilified?

::nogray
    I only read the first and last page of this thread, but the reasons why it's not a great idea to wear jeans on a multi-day hike have been covered.

When I was in high school, I started racing bikes (like the 10 speed bicycle kind) and my coach told me to shave my legs. It's what you do when you race bikes. Being in high school, and more than a bit insecure and self conscious this was difficult. I found out that when I was at a bike race or around bike racers, people looked at guys with hairy legs like THEY were the weirdos. I became comfortable with it, and anyone who knew me, knew I raced and accepted it. It became a non-issue.

I told that story to relate to the OP. You'll only feel funny in nylon hiking pants for a day or so. Then you'll see almost everyone else is wearing nylon pants or even leggings under running shorts, and nobody will look at you funny like you're wearing 1985's parachute pants. You'll fit right in and be comfortable with them and with yourself in no time. I love the cargo pockets for carrying cell phone, trail guide, trail mix, etc.

... to address your vanity, I'll try some peer pressure: Everyone else is doing it, you should too.

After trials and tribulations, I say to hell with synthetic clothing. Jeans are one of the few things that will really last and last. Wool and down and leather are vastly superior to their synthetic counterparts, though nylon makes a great reinforcing addition. I go UL on the things I need rarely and can reserve to use in favorable surroundings (like rain gear), or that I just have to carry around all the time (like cookware), but clothing weight is so well distributed it really doesn't matter if you're wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    After trials and tribulations, I say to hell with synthetic clothing. Jeans are one of the few things that will really last and last. Wool and down and leather are vastly superior to their synthetic counterparts, though nylon makes a great reinforcing addition. I go UL on the things I need rarely and can reserve to use in favorable surroundings (like rain gear), or that I just have to carry around all the time (like cookware), but clothing weight is so well distributed it really doesn't matter if you're wearing it.

It does if you walk uphill.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post

Before the advent of nylon/synthetic pants, I think it was more common for hikers to wear shorts in cold weather -- with or without cotton long underwear.

I think a big reason was because long pants of the day (jeans were the obvious choice) tended to restrict movement, expecially on uphill climbs.

Cany you imaging wearing jeans in a sprint or steeplechase?

i sure did look good in a pair in my while Blaze profile picture, though.

Up in the Adirondack Loj there is (or was) a sign that just says "Cotton Kills."

I must be un-American, I don't much care for baseball, football or jeans.

The Marlboro Man wears jeans. I think that's why they're thought to be cool.

I have no problems dressing like an urban lumberjack. Pendleton wool shirts, yay.

Images

There was a time when hiking in jeans was considered down right progressive

RMCBlood013.JPG

Source: The Randolph Mountain Club archives

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I save jeans for when I want to look nice in an urban environment.

For trail work, car camping and anything involving scraping, climbing, bouldering I wear BDU type pants (65/35 polycotton). Similar to the Dickies work pants mentioned earlier. At ~$30 they are not expensive and more effective than many blue jeans.

Other people I know into canyoneering use thrift store work pants as they just get thrashed anyway.

I don't find jeans to be that durable, to be honest. With more effective, and very often cheaper, alternatives why use blue jeans?
    Last edited by Mags; 12-14-2016 at 13:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Up in the Adirondack Loj there is (or was) a sign that just says "Cotton Kills."

I must be un-American, I don't much care for baseball, football or jeans.

The Marlboro Man wears jeans. I think that's why they're thought to be cool.

I have no problems dressing like an urban lumberjack. Pendleton wool shirts, yay.
    That would be primarily for this time of year (the sign).
    If you are out in the summer time and it's 80 degrees it really doesn't matter what you wear. You may be uncomfortable, but you won't be in any danger. Not so when it's cold.

Default What's Wrong with Jeans?

doing Trail magic one year, I met a hiker his trail name was Levi's... he ditched the jeans shortly afterwards.

For me everything is wrong with jeans: fit, mobility and drying time to name the most prevalent. I dislike jeans a lot but have to wear all cotton at work.

I wear shorts about 10 months out of the year here, I wear RailRiders, and they hold up extremely well...ya just gotta watch heat and fire sources. In the summer I can get seriously wet and within a few minutes (never timed it) they're dry.

They're not cheap but they offer a good return on the investment. 2017 will be the third year I'm wearing the same 3 pair.

Arborwear canopy pants ; semi light weight , stretchy , and VERY durable , I have been wearing mine monday-Friday for about 6 months to do tree work and they haven't ripped at all

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++