WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Opinions on new pack

I need opinions on a new pack. I had a REI Flash 65. Was on sale, light and worked for what I was doing. Yesterday it blew up. Maybe over stuffed just a bit. I'm doing a section hike of the AT May 1 and then going out west to do some trails. I need a pack that can handle 40+ with a bear vault. I have read reviews until blind. Some help Please> ... I won't be carrying 40+ on AT but will out west..don't want to buy two packs.

Images

Blew up? return it and get your money back. REI will make it good.

Have you looked at the ULA Catalyst? Probably (since you're going blind), but just thought I'd ask. Lots of folks like that one for a larger, heavier load like you're talking about. I sure love my ULA OHM, but that's too light for 40# carries.

Images

the pack is 4yrs old. will they still replace or trade? I am rough on my gear. that said i have a new TT and new sleeping pad so i guess i need to be more gentle.

Opinions on packs are like belly-buttons...and you'll get all of them.

From my take you can't go wrong with Osprey, ULA or Six Moon Designs. Depending on the model, all are designed to carry the kind of weights you are thinking about. And why would you need to carry more out west? I live here (Wyoming) and my ZPacks Arc Haul carries what I need very well. Just kinda wondering why you think you'll be carrying so much more out here!

I've used many packs over the last 5 years and the best by far for what you say you need, (going light with the ability to comfortably carry 40 pounds when needed) I have found is the packs from seekoutside.
    https://store.seekoutside.com/lightw...eep-backpacks/

At 3 pounds you get a pack that has all the volume you need, compresses nicely for small loads, and has no problem carrying any weight you might need to. I have used packs from ULA (the catalyst which I hated), osprey (various aethers), granite gear (the crown), and the seekoutside is by far the best suspension and most comfortable for me. As a bonus they make their packs out of x-pac which is better than PU coated fabrics; absorbs less water, dries faster, no laminate to wear out.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flatgrounder View Post
    I need opinions on a new pack. I had a REI Flash 65. Was on sale, light and worked for what I was doing. Yesterday it blew up. Maybe over stuffed just a bit. I'm doing a section hike of the AT May 1 and then going out west to do some trails. I need a pack that can handle 40+ with a bear vault. I have read reviews until blind. Some help Please> ... I won't be carrying 40+ on AT but will out west..don't want to buy two packs.
    Where out west? The 8 ounce Ursack AllWhite is approved in the Rockies, but not in California. Calironia requires a hard side bear can. Those weigh 2.5 (+ or -) pounds. Because they are inflexible they require more space than an Ursack.
    If you are unsure of your total pack weight at any given time due to food and/or water requirements, The Seek Outside Unaweep line of packs will handle more weight than mere mortals can carry. They will handle Tipi Walter loads too.
    Dial in your load and bear container requirements and then go shopping. Like shoes, packs are very personal. We can't shop for you.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    I've used many packs over the last 5 years and the best by far for what you say you need, (going light with the ability to comfortably carry 40 pounds when needed) I have found is the packs from seekoutside.
    https://store.seekoutside.com/lightw...eep-backpacks/

At 3 pounds you get a pack that has all the volume you need, compresses nicely for small loads, and has no problem carrying any weight you might need to. I have used packs from ULA (the catalyst which I hated), osprey (various aethers), granite gear (the crown), and the seekoutside is by far the best suspension and most comfortable for me. As a bonus they make their packs out of x-pac which is better than PU coated fabrics; absorbs less water, dries faster, no laminate to wear out.
    This. Also, the only other pack that can come close, that is easier on the wallet, is the Six Moon Designs Fusion 65 (2015 version).

ULA make great packs (I own a Circuit) but it simply does not have the suspension system needed to comfortably carry 40lbs day after day.

Images

I'll be in Navada Cali Idaho. Carrying for two. Thanks for the input.

Cool

By the way...
    The only places in the Rockies where a bear canister is REQUIRED is an area in Rocky Mountain N.P. and Grand Teton N.P.
    From G.T.N.P.:
    http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bears_bc.htm
    As of April 2011, regardless of elevation backpackers will be required to use approved bear-resistant canisters except where food storage boxes are provided. On some specific alpine routes where a climber is bivouacing on a high rocky ledge and bears cannot go, park-approved bear canisters may not be required. All food, garbage, toiletries and any odorous item that may attract a bear must be stored in an Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) approved bear-resistant food canister when not in immediate use, day and night. Bear canisters are available for use in the park for free at backcountry permitting locations.
    Their list of approved containers is outdated. The Ursack has IGBC approval.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    By the way...
    The only places in the Rockies where a bear canister is REQUIRED is an area in Rocky Mountain N.P. and Grand Teton N.P.
    From G.T.N.P.:
    http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bears_bc.htm

Their list of approved containers is outdated. The Ursack has IGBC approval.

Wayne
    Interesting that the use of a bear canister is required in Teton and not Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Interesting that the use of a bear canister is required in Teton and not Yellowstone.
    Yellowstone and Glacier provide hanging gear or bear boxes. Grand Teton does not.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

the pack is 4yrs old. will they still replace or trade? I am rough on my gear. that said i have a new TT and new sleeping pad so i guess i need to be more gentle.
    Yes, they should.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Be prepared to make your case for manufacturing defects.
    I recently returned a travel mug for a broken hinge that made the mug unusable. I got a lot of flack about the new 1 year return policy and older gear was not grandfathered in. I appealed to the store manager. I got a refund because the item was no longer in inventory.
    You have an advantage: your pack is an REI Brand.

Good luck.

Wayne

Images

REI has gotten a little tighter with their return policy. If it were me, I'd probably think that four years of use was pretty good for a UL pack which I got on sale. Of course, I'd have beaten the $%^& out of it in four years.

The usual recommendations for an AT pack -- the ULA Circuit, etc. -- won't really work for 40 pounds. Not sure what to recommend. Good luck, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I didn't realize that REI pack was 4 years old... nevermind on the REI return thing, you got your money's worth IMHO.

Just a minor point, but the Aspen CO area White River national forest now requires a bear canister. Seems like the list is growing a bit in the Rockies. And of course they are required in places in the Sierra's (CA).

+1 for Seek Outside Unaweep.

Carried ~43# this past weekend, 18 miles (prep hike for summer 2 week trip), suspension etc is awesome, my back and shoulders felt great, love the full hipbelt.

You can find a bit lighter pack, and certainly a cheaper one, but not one as versatile for small/light loads, that can carry bigger loads if necessary.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yellowstone and Glacier provide hanging gear or bear boxes. Grand Teton does not.

Wayne

So there is no confusion here; you need to provide all the gear necessary to hang your food, the park, at least in Yellowstone, simply provides a post lashed horizontally between two trees. In most cases this post is much higher than the typical hiker usually hangs their food when simply hanging from a tree branch so bring at least 50' of rope to be on the safe side.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Well 50' could be overkill, but ensure you have plenty of rope.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

thanks for all the input..last i heard Yosemite has to use canisters

thanks for all the input..last i heard Yosemite has to use canisters
    No mention of bear cans at the Yellowstone Backcountry web page.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++