WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seeking Some Gear Advice Please

Hi Everyone, i'm attaching a list of my gear that i'm starting with. I simply couldn't afford to get anything lighter. Any advice on how its looking? What i'm missing? i feel like my I's and T's are dotted and crossed. the tent is killing me at 4.5 lbs, but i dont have the cash to buy a better one. I'm thinking by the time i get to Neels gap i will buy a big agnes UL.

Thanks for the wisdom!
    Snick

A.T. Loadout Cost/Weight Analysis
    Gear Brand 1 Weight oz Cost ship by
    Compass 0.2 2.5
    Trowel sea to summit 6 9
    ducttape 2 6
    carabeener 2 0.25 4
    bodywash 3 4
    hand sanitizer 3 3
    1st aid kit 2 7
    Head Flashlight black diamond 160 lumens 4 37
    batteries & back ups 6 8
    tent mountain hardware meridian 2 64 40
    cooking pot Amicus 7.6 25
    spork 0.5 10
    cooking stove Amicus 2.9 25
    back pack windrider 2400 28.2 180
    pack cover/ poncho 6 8
    sleeping bag ushba 24 40
    sleep pad thermarest fold up 14 46
    bag liner sea to summit silk 9.3 70
    50 cord 2.2 5
    water filtration device sawyer squeeze mini 2 18.75
    polypro short sleeve inner layer 24
    polypro long sleeve mid layer north face 8 40
    coated nylon (or breathable waterproof, outer shell) 10 8
    down jacket 28.2 100
    footwear trail runners 100
    crocs 0.56 30
    socks need 3 pair, 2 wool, one light inner 10 30
    zippo 2.5 0
    pack towel sea to summit 3.9 23
    Shorts 6 6
    long johns 8 36
    Outer pants 15
    go pro hero 2 260
    charger power supply 8 30
    insoles (superfeet) 55
    stuff sack dry for clothes 1 20
    stuff sack for wallet z packs 0.23 10
    stuff sack for phone ziplock 4.5 0.1
    stuff sack for food z packs 0.6 39
    rock sack z packs 0.2 5
    trekking poles Leki 13 120 shipped
    totals oz 293.84 1499.35
    gross weight in lbs 18.365

Journal Entries

A tarp and ground cloth could be a much lighter option as well as cheaper. You could drop probably 3lbs. They are a little more technical to setup (knots and whatnot) and site selection is a little more important (mostly wind based), but once you get the hang of it it is quick and works pretty well. And if you are planning on staying in shelters when available you may rarely use it anyway.

I don't notice anything big missing, or a lot of excess. I wouldn't personally take a compass, the bodywash and a few of the stuff sacks but we're talking about less than a pound total. I wouldn't sweat an 18 pound base too much, that still leaves you room to be around or under 30 with water and resupply. The numbers on here can scare you, with that weight you'll be on the heavy side vs. a lot of folks here on Whiteblaze but right about average for everyone on the trail. If money is too tight you can start walking with that tent just fine, and as you say get one at Neels if it feels like more than you want to carry after 30 miles. Tarps are lightweight for sure, though in the summer I would not want to be on the AT without some type of bug net to supplement it.

Check the used gear for sale forums. You can snag a decent lightweight tent for under $200 sometimes.

Or a brand new TarpTent ProTrail for $225...

When are you departing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snicklefitz,

I didn't go through your list looking for what you might have left off. But, looking at lightening what you listed . . .

Ditch the silk bag liner. 9.3 oz for comfort? cleanliness? Warmth? You'll get tangled in it, you all dirty anyway, and warmth is minimal compared to putting on your coat.
    2 oz of duck tape? Get a couple strips of sticker release paper, put a couple strips of duck tape on it. Save almost 2 oz.
    6 oz for your trowel? An aluminum snow stake or lighter trowel must be available somewhere?
    3 oz of body wash? Repackage it and take 1 oz.
    Swapping the tent for an inexpensive tarp, groundsheet and bugnet would save you 2 lbs or more
    4 oz pack towel? do you really need that much more than a bandana and/or smallest pack towel?
    10 oz for an outer shell. You already have a poncho. So, a simple windshirt would do and save you another 5 oz.
    Where do you find crocks that only weigh 0.56 oz. I assume you mean 0.56 lbs? Ditch 'em
    Zippo lighter. Cool, but heavy. Use a bic for 2 oz savings.

Hmmm. Total, with minimum expense, we just knocked off 4 lbs, 2 of it the tent.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

thanks for the wisdom, great advice! I will trim down many of what's mentioned, I thought I needed a sleeping bag liner for warmth my bag is a 20 degree, I am hoping to head up by March 1st. sooner if possible. The Zippo is a luxury item, I've had it for over 20 years that's coming with me. unsure now on the weight of the crocs but i doubt they are 9 oz. they are super light, it could be a fat finger keystroke error for 5 oz. The tent, yes that does need to go. i don't plan on sleeping in the shelters as I am going solo, and I have also read mice are issued in them and eeewe.

Images

QiWiz Titanium trowel is 0.4 oz Save 5.6 oz for $29 http://qiwiz.net/trowels.html That's a big weight savings for the money. Not affiliated with him, but he is a long time WB member, and people like his stuff.

Weight of Crocs seems off. More like .56 lbs (9 oz) maybe?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by snicklefitz View Post
    thanks for the wisdom, great advice! I will trim down many of what's mentioned, I thought I needed a sleeping bag liner for warmth my bag is a 20 degree, I am hoping to head up by March 1st. sooner if possible. The Zippo is a luxury item, I've had it for over 20 years that's coming with me. unsure now on the weight of the crocs but i doubt they are 9 oz. they are super light, it could be a fat finger keystroke error for 5 oz. The tent, yes that does need to go. i don't plan on sleeping in the shelters as I am going solo, and I have also read mice are issued in them and eeewe.
    Here are a few places I see potential for saving weight and/or money. Of course it doesn't save money if you already bought the other item. And selecting a minimalist option may compromise function, comfort, or durability. Your call.

Item (alternative) weight/cost
    Compass (omit?) zero/zero
    Trowel (use tent stake, stick, shoe?) zero/zero
    ducttape (take just a few pieces) near zero/near zero
    bodywash (sliver of soap in zip log bag) near zero/zero
    Head Flashlight (could get by with a Photon Microlight?) near zero/not much
    batteries & back ups (omit) zero/zero
    cooking pot (Kmar Grease pot is cheap and light) a few oz/10$?
    spork (plastic Mcflurry spoon from McDonalds garbage can) near zero/zero
    pack cover/ poncho (plastic garbage bag pack liner) near zero/near zero
    bag liner (omit) zero/zero
    crocs (omit) zero/zero
    pack towel (buff or bandana) near zero/near zero
    go pro hero (use the money to buy a great bag or tent and save a couple pounds and take pics with phone) zero/-2 lbs
    stuff sack dry for clothes (free plastic grocery bags to organize clothes. Keep inside pack liner to keep dry) zero/zero
    stuff sack for wallet (zip loc bag) near zero/near zero
    stuff sack for phone (zop loc bag) near zero/near zero

Six Moon Designs offers some awesome lightweight tents for a very reasonable price. I own the Lunar Solo and got it on sale, but it runs $215. Or your could go with the Skyscape Scout which is a little heavier 2lbs 2oz but also costs $125: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html Much cheaper than the Big Agnes for the same weight and more space. SMD is known for their quality, and you'd be supporting a cottage manufacturer instead of a big corporation.

The biggest items or problems I see are the tent and 28oz. down coat. There are a multitude of lighter, cheap options. The weight of the cost is insane. I wouldn't carry a compass, towel, carabiner, trowel or body wash. The crocs are probably more than 9oz. As some other people have suggested. Knock off or wally world brand weigh less. I use and love the OP slide on style shoes. They look like old man slippers but are "cool" remakes of the popular surfer loafer/sandas (Sanuks). They weight 8oz/pr. They're comfy, cheap, ($10-14) look good and are light. If you haven't actually weighed all items, I believe it is imperative to your success at lowering pack weight. I never trust manufacturers listed weight. It seems you're missing toilet paper, a guidebook and pen or pencil and paper.

*the weight of the down coat is insane.

It seems silly to me to use Cuben fiber for a wallet but use a ziplock for a phone. The phone needs the waterproof, the wallet not so much. I used two rubber bands around my debit, CC and insurance cards with cash folded neatly in between. I never ever carry change while backpacking.

Are you taking a phone, charger, protective case?

Water bottles?

Yeah the down coat is huge too. But as i mentioned money is an issue. The thought of dropping 200 + on a tent, 200 on the lightweight coats, that's $ I don't have. I'm not going to not go. I'm just going to be as frugal as possible. I got the tent and sleeping bag off Craig's list for 80 bucks for the pair. I will most likely swap the tent at neels I want to try first before sacrificing all that extra cash. The carabiners are on my pack and weigh nothing, they can easily come off, I'm gonna get rid of the liner, the charger is listed, the phone I have is small 4.4 oz. I wrapped a small amount of duxt.tape around the handle of the trowel for less weight/space, and the handle has a small amount of t.p. rolled inside it, so that's a 3 fer 1 space saver. ibe gpt one smart water bottle and 2 roll up bladders that weigh next to nothing. a 1 liter and a 3 liter. from what ive read there is plenty of water and you rarely need more than a litre at a time. I am planning on ziplocks for the phone and tech stuff, 1st aid bag, and one for small packs of spices (all powdered) sugar, jalapeno powder, and red pepper. if I had another 500 to blow it would absolutely go to a tent and down jacket. But 500 can get me a while lot of miles down the trail, when I'm eating cheap food and skipping hotels & hostels for my tent

come summer in hoping to ditch the sleeping bag, coat, and stove and will go to an alcohol stove. I just don't want to risk it in the colder months

If you are on a tight budget, YOU DID GOOD. If you are in good physical condition, that will go a long way. I would suggest bic light vs zippo. Box of waterproof matches for backup. Use Gatorade Bottles to carry water. At least you found ZPACKS website and know about the importance of ultra light & light weight backpacking. My first quality backpack was a Kelty Tioga and I filled it up without hardly any regard for weight. I crammed stuff in it until it was full. With experience, I am from the school of Grams add up to Ounces and Ounces add up to Pounds. It's trial and error. Main thing is to have fun and enjoy your trips.

thanks cyberman, yes $ is a huge issue. I'm taking all this advice under consideration and going to do what I can. by the way... doctor who fan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++