WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Agreed. This incremental approach makes a lot of sense.
    On the other hand, it costs nearly nothing to do some housekeeping. Until they have that issue solved, there's no point in dressing up a room or three.
    Doesnt make much financial sense to polish the railing and shine the decks of an old leaky unseaworthy garbage scow. Neglect is more than skin deep, and its like cancer.

It's been something like Four weeks now, and do we know how much money they have panhandled? Did the taxes get paid?
    I just paid mine with out anyone's concern or help. Did they get any extra monies? What is the first improvement with that money? Can't they borrow against the property? Have any of you gone to the place this month to see how they are doing and if they have heat. Are they eating? And is the cable bill paid!

Images

Out of line and just plain mean spirited.

Looks like they met their goal of raising $10K. Wonder what the status and next steps are.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/03...duncannon.html
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I was just there on Saturday for lunch. Pat was a great host. He remarked at how busy it was Friday night and apologized for being sold out of some of the soups and specials because of it. The three of us ordered a lot of different things. The fried chicken, hush puppies, French fries, and coleslaw coming out as favorites.

I politly inquiried about the save the Doyle campaign. He said said something to the effect he was amazed by the support. I didn't push for any more than that. I didn't see the rooms as I wasn't staying.

if you go to the go fund me page there is a long update.

https://www.gofundme.com/3bn5k5h8

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Another dumb question...

What is the feasibility of keeping the bar and restaurant open but mothballing the rest of the place for now? Seems like the bar is the only place that seems to make money. Do even less maintenance than in the rooms now. And put the money made into the part of the place that is even somewhat profitable?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    if you go to the go fund me page there is a long update.

https://www.gofundme.com/3bn5k5h8
    Am I reading it correctly in that they are now looking for an additional 80k? Or was the initial amount for mortgage, back taxes, and plumbing issues, for a total of 80k?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Am I reading it correctly in that they are now looking for an additional 80k? Or was the initial amount for mortgage, back taxes, and plumbing issues, for a total of 80k?
    They had wanted $80K just to do plumbing. The purpose changed to taxes/mortgage and the goal reduced to $10K at some point in the fundraising, with any leftover funds from the $10K drive (ended up being $13K raises) going towards plumbing.

The site skeeter linked has a goal of 80k and appears to be ongoing.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Right below "SAVE THE DOYLE: Help the AT Trail", it says "$13,100 of $10,000 goal". The fund raiser still likely has the original $80K in the "story" section, but the updates mention the change in goal (both purpose and amount).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neglect is neglect, no matter what the reason and this institution seems to need continued expensive work (I've never been to the Doyle, but I've long been informed of it by many AT hikers). But I would like to see the Doyle saved just for the simple fact that my last name is Doyle!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

There is a couple whom frequent the doyel.
    im not mentioning names........
    they are friends of mine for many years.
    As are they friends of pat and miss vickey.
    This wonderful woman, who has lunch there once a week .....started the site with nothing but miss vickys okay.
    It was totally not miss vickys doing, or idea.
    She simply said yes when asked by a most loyal couple of patrons.
    matthewski

Jester is a tripple crowner and my best friend.
    he tells a story about a guy, a true story, who started a fundraiser site because he wanted potatoe salad.
    he prommised things like recepies and even to share his potatoe salad.
    He only asked for enough to make some for himself.
    the kickstarter site went viral and it shot to 80 or 100 thousand dollars .
    matthewski

Pat once put a guy named dave up in the doyel totaly free and fed him till he got a job.
    my dear friend, now " grocery dave" adored by hikers and townees alike, works at mutzys , rents an apt , and all cause pat helped him out.
    Hes done it countless times.
    Every winter, theres allways someone hes hellping get a start with a meal and a bed.
    hes never asked a thing.
    matthewski

Could sell the liquor liscense and restore the Doyle as a cheap hotel/hostel. Could not get a good room rate with shared bathrooms, no ac, no televisions and no elevator to make the rooms handicapped accessible. Or sell the liquor licence and put the for sale sign up and retire. There are plenty of hotels and bars in Pa. My final suggestion would be close for the winter, would just lose money for 3 months anyway.

A calender of the rooms the way they are would probubly go viral.
    matthewski

Im not at the doyel as was planned due to good things.
    Max is flying home wed!
    This sunday, 2 couples are comming to see my art .
    My new plan is to work till sunday, sell a bunch of art on the spot to both couples get to the doyel monday and then come home wed just to fetch max back to the doyel.
    So excited.
    Maby this will leed to my long awaited corination as leader and supreem potentate of artworld.
    Reall curious what potentate means.
    Oh well.
    matthewski

In the event of my art selling instantly for millions, ill be in 23 the rest of my life working on the doyel.
    matthewski

Matthewski's dream of restoring the doyel and having gardens and a music room allways began with discovery as the next picosso.
    sort of like elmer of hot springs but with less bellyfat.
    The two couples coming to see my art tommorow are filthy rich.
    i just restored their empty , palacious brownstone condo's ancient windows . Its huge empty walls beg for art. One of the couples, the husband owns the worlds largest pigment company.
    He sells all the films and pigments to 3m.
    Its hisfamilys buissness and hes under 35!
    He told me they supply the green color for all highway signs in america.
    His wife is an investment banker.
    The other couple are their best friends.
    This may be my ticket to the big leaugs.
    Ive bounced this ball on this gettoes glass shrewn court for long enough.
    matthewski

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++