WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My thoughts exactly, Lone Wolf. That's why I said I would encourage them to pay what they owe in taxes, then try to unload it. I don't really see how it can be self-supporting. Needed repairs and renovations will not get cheaper or more affordable in the next few years, and everyone can agree, it is in DIRE need of a lot of repairs. It is truly a fire trap as it is, a disaster waiting to happen. Will probably be in the hikers best interest to not have the lure.

I do hope the owners can find a reasonable way out.
    Fire trap?
    Disaster waiting to happen?
    In the hikers best interest to not have the lure?

I don't believe doom and gloom is what is needed right now
    But hey , thanks for your profound wisdom on the matter.....

Journal Entries

I agree with Baltimore Jack..... I have always wanted to see the place and did on my hike last year...... great food, nice folks. It,s just a must see thing you must see on your hike!
    eveready

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Fire trap?
    Have you ever been to the Doyle? The place is a tinder box. Staying there is a bit scary, but best not to think about it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Have you ever been to the Doyle? The place is a tinder box. Staying there is a bit scary, but best not to think about it.
    Yep, stayed there a few years ago..
    Lots of exposed plumbing and holy drywall!True enough, a little spooky upstairs in the half light!
    Sure, it needs a lot of work but if there is half a chance to save it, then judging by the response, there's plenty of good folks out there to possibly make that happen.
    Positive brain storming, such as the suggested ideas of two levels of accomadation to bring in more money or some form of grant funds for historic building repairs,deserve consideration.
    They do have a limited amount of year round local clientele....... just trying to be positive here until all alternatives are ruled out.
    The food's good, as is the beer and the Kelly's are great folk,not just judging by my limited stay but by all the kind words said about them.
    Did I mention them burgers?!

They do have a limited amount of year round local clientele.......

Perhaps we should plan a couple weekends to fill up the hotel with Whiteblazers from surrounding states and do day hikes or an over nighter. Ie. in spring or fall when they are not busy enough.

Have the Kelly's thought about organizing volunteers( both locally and regionally) to do some renovation, painting, plumbing, etc. Surely with the AT's vast network of volunteers we could come in the off season and give the place some sprucing up.

PATC should buy it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Fire trap?
    Disaster waiting to happen?
    In the hikers best interest to not have the lure?

ABSOLUTELY stand by what I said.

Very old building, with very dry wood construction.
    Open, central staircase that would act as a chimney and central flu to spread a fire throughout the building in a matter of minutes.
    Dubious second story fire escape that was partially closed off due to unsafe structure when I was there last.
    Add to that the exposed, very old and inadequate electrical service consisting of extension cords hung on the walls to power the one bare bulb dangling from the ceiling.

Yes it is a fire trap and will be a disaster if a fire ever erupts and there are folks sleeping. Are there even smoke detectors in the rooms? I do not recall.

Will take a LOT more money and a LOT more talent than the owners can ever afford or volunteers can provide to make that building even remotely close to current safety standards. I like history, and I do not like our society's attitudes on replacing old buildings with new, but there has to be some standards. Facts are facts, it will take MAJOR renovations (rebuilding) to make this place adequate. Band-aids are not what is needed.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-13-2016 at 11:36.

I think they should raise enough money to allay everyone's fears. But that's the rub, until they allay everyone's fears they can't generate enough interest. Yet, they need funding to allay everyone's fears! And if they allayed everyone's fears, they wouldn't need the money!

It's simple, don't give if you (the great, big "you" of negative posters) have this much negativity in your life. And lets face it, you probably don't give anyway. Giving is for the giver, People. Give up a cup of coffee.

Images

Any time someone comes on a public forum to solicit funds from friends/family/strangers, particularly MAJOR funds, through emotional pleas, a reality check is in order - regardless of your personal feelings for those making the plea.

There's a reason they don't have the money to support it. They aren't doing enough business or mismanaging funds. Either way, the place needs some serious work, and the $$$ they are sourcing is going to taxes and fines, not to renovation and repairs. Without the renovation and repairs they will likely continue to lose business except to purists and nostalgia, and the place will continue to become more dilapidated. There are far too many other options to make staying at the Doyle for more than a beer/burger worth it. My guess is the writing is on the wall regardless even if they cover the fines and taxes THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post

It's simple, don't give if you (the great, big "you" of negative posters) have this much negativity in your life. And lets face it, you probably don't give anyway. Giving is for the giver, People. Give up a cup of coffee.
    i give a lot of $$ to the truly needy, not failing businesses. i give a lot of my time to a volunteer rescue squad.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think they should raise enough money to allay everyone's fears. But that's the rub, until they allay everyone's fears they can't generate enough interest. Yet, they need funding to allay everyone's fears! And if they allayed everyone's fears, they wouldn't need the money!

What a negative assumption, (the great big "you" of negative posters).

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    What a negative assumption, (the great big "you" of negative posters).
    I stand by it. Most people who find all of these reasons not to help, and typically reasons to convince others not to, aren't helpful people anyway.

Images

You obviously missed the part where I said I made a donation.

I have no problems trying to get the Kelley's out of the current financial bind, so that they do not loose everything - they have helped many of us for many years, I'll give them a hand in the current crisis.

My objection is trying to fund a business endeavor, one that has virtually insurmountable problems, through donations from helpful folks. My understanding is that they have tried to get historical preservation groups interested in this property for years - they didn't bite. To ask for 80,000 to fix the plumbing, and do nothing for the rotting structure or totally inadequate electrical is throwing money down the drain, other people's money.

My goal isn't necessarily to stop others from donating, but, as I said, offer a reality check. Even if they get the 80,000 for the plumbing, the problem isn't solved. As Lone Wolf implied, or asked, will this be an annual campaign. If folks want to fund a business that way, more power to them, but I think it will get old real fast for those being asked to contribute. My point is, should this be started and prolonged, or should they cut the losses now?

By the way, I would be willing to bet that I have contributed a lot more to trails and community, both monetarily and in physical labor, than you have over the years. You paint with a very large brush, unfortunately, you aren't very accurate, so you make a mess of your project.

Going round in circles now, and getting personal - last post for me on this topic.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-13-2016 at 15:05.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

I stand by it. Most people who find all of these reasons not to help, and typically reasons to convince others not to, aren't helpful people anyway.
    So you believe you can read into the hearts, souls and intentions of complete strangers? Or is this super power only limited to people with different opinions than your own.

FWIW, I'm still paying down a mortgage and hope to send two kids through college, along with all of the other usual family expenses. Am I worthy of a cup of coffee?

you're very wrong. period

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    So you believe you can read into the hearts, souls and intentions of complete strangers? Or is this super power only limited to people with different opinions than your own.

FWIW, I'm still paying down a mortgage and hope to send two kids through college, along with all of the other usual family expenses. Am I worthy of a cup of coffee?
    Don't be silly. It's a general statement that says nothing about someone specifically. On it's face it makes perfect sense. Why would anyone who is critical to the point of advising others on the futility of giving, secretly be a prolific giver? I'm not looking into the hearts and souls of anyone. I'm merely saying that people who moan about giving and others who do aren't logically going to be inclined to give. That's all.

FWIW, if you're paying down a mortgage and trying to send two kids to college you are especially worthy of a cup of coffee!
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 03-13-2016 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're very wrong. period
    Well, let's hope so.

Default 'Save the Doyle' campaign reaches $10000 goal for historic Appalachian Trail hotel -

PennLive.com

'Save the Doyle' campaign reaches $10000 goal for historic Appalachian Trail hotel
    PennLive.com
    A campaign to raise $10,000 for repairs to Duncannon's historic Doyle Hotel has reached its goal, according to the fundraising website. Two years of back taxes, reaching an estimated $9,000, and necessary property repairs had prompted a "Save the Doyle ...
    New manager settles into job at DuncannonPennLive.com

all 3 news articles »

More...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++