WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by admirald7s View Post
    So when we say that hand washing is better than hand sanitizer, what is the big difference we're doing it for? Is the assumption that we mean "anti-bacterial soap", or would a bar of ivory still be more effective than an anti-bacterial hand sanitizer? Is it the scrubbing that makes the difference? I'm trying to make sure I understand what the key aspect is that makes the difference prior to my own thru in '17/'18.........
    Soap (any soap) and water will remove germs, oils and dirt from the skin whereas hand sanitizer containing alcohol are meant to kill germs but are not very effective if your hands are not clean because oil and dirt essentially protect the germs from contact with the alcohol in the sanitizer. That's why soap of any kind and water beats hand sanitizer.

Here is some disturbing news, according to the article linked below hand sanitizer doesn't do much to kill Norovirus. In fact rinsing your hands in water alone is more effective against Norovirus than hand sanitizer according to this study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805232/
    Last edited by TexasBob; 03-10-2016 at 11:58.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Soap (any soap) and water will remove germs, oils and dirt from the skin whereas hand sanitizer containing alcohol are meant to kill germs but are not very effective if your hands are not clean because oil and dirt essentially protect the germs from contact with the alcohol in the sanitizer. That's why soap of any kind and water beats hand sanitizer.

Here is some disturbing news, according to the article linked below hand sanitizer doesn't do much to kill Norovirus. In fact rinsing your hands in water alone is more effective against Norovirus than hand sanitizer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805232/
    Thanks, I was trying and failing to google the technical reason why soap and water was better.

According to this article, the CDC says both methods can be equally effective in many situations. A caveat is hand washing is best after defecation.

https://www.b4brands.com/blog/hand-s...which-is-best/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Read a Trail Journals yesterday which talked about everyone crowding to one end of a GSMNP shelter to avoid two sick dudes. Wonder if it helped?
    I saw that journal entry too...I'd be runnin'!

Journal Entries

If you choose to associate closely with others, shelters, etc, you only can blame yourself when you get sick.

Gsmnp shelters are full much of year. Its not the shelters per se
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-10-2016 at 13:12.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Thanks for your direct and informative response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the 1970s and 1980s backpackers called this food poisoning or just "drinking bad water." My worst camping night ever was in 1984 camping on top of Elk Garden near Mt Rogers when I got the squirts and puked all night outside my tent. The 12 mile hike out the next day was a killer. Why? Dehydration blues.

Would I have called for rescue and evacuation? Oh heck no. I know, I know, the two GSMNP hikers could've had a severe case of "norovirus", or maybe they just panicked and bailed. I mean, who wants to puke in the woods? Who doesn't want to immediately go home and to a warm bed? Btw, WedMD calls norovirus the Winter Vomiting Bug.

Getting the squirts or a stomach bug or even the winter vomiting bug is fairly common for backpackers if they spend enough time outdoors. If a person spends 500 nights outdoors, a fraction of these will be in some sort of gastrointestinal discomfort: Diarrhea, stomach aches, terrible gas (from the chili you ate last night), explosive sharting, even vomiting. I just don't see the point in calling for rescue---just endure it and Yes, this too shall pass.

Journal Entries

You just gotta' pick and choose who you cosy up with...fur instance:

nose pickers are a no no
    snot rocketeers.they're ok!

head scratchers, not so bad
    Ass scratchers, nah!

public toe jamming , not good if you're within six feet, ( average flicking distance....)
    on the other hand, free foot massage, hey, go for it( a specialty ar Trail Days in Damascus)

Finally, if a hot ultralight chick with three months of trail sweat under her arms offers to share your sack
    Check first, razors are extra weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    just endure it and Yes, this too shall pass.
    Indeed! But they were probably only carrying enough food to last to the next town tour IF they didn't get sick and need to take a zero day to get their pack weight down to some "magic" number. Then they didn't accept that a person can go hours or even (*gasp*) days without food without keeling over dead instantly, so busted out their $500+ smartphone to call in a rescue squad.

Journal Entries

I will only be section hiking about 90 miles or so, but I will be doing some form of bathing daily... or die tryin. God made Dr. Bronners for a reason!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

There are a couple of hand sanitizers on Amazon that have been tested to work on Noru - just came back from a sectional and used the clorox one heavily. Everyone we spoke to had a Noru story to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    stay out of privys, shelters, cheap hostels and do not share food
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    This is really a simple concept and yet many hikers still do not understand it.
    Here it is in a nutshell…avoid people, avoid where people congregate, limit contact with people, limit doing what other people do, limit congregating with people. It's not Nature, the wildlife, and plants that are always the greatest threats to personal safety and health. It's human behavior. Yes or No?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++