Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Wise purchase?

  1. #1
    Registered User skinnbones's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-11-2014
    Location
    Largo, FL
    Age
    55
    Posts
    207

    Default Wise purchase?

    I bought the Gregory Baltoro 65 pack and the Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent. Wise purchase or did they see me coming?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-16-2015
    Location
    Salford ,PA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I thru hiked with a baltoro 65 , ditched the brain but absolutely love it

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-21-2009
    Location
    Tennesee
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    You will have plenty of people here shortly to tell you that you should have bought brand X pack or brand C tent instead of what you bought. Don't worry about it...just go use what you bought. just remember that it is probably better and lighter what most people carried just a few years ago. once you are on a trail, nobody worries about the name on the gear (so long as it is of high quality, which is what you have). The incessant back and forth worrying about which gear is better is exclusively an internet past time. quit worrying and go hiking.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-26-2015
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    You will have plenty of people here shortly to tell you that you should have bought brand X pack or brand C tent instead of what you bought. Don't worry about it...just go use what you bought. just remember that it is probably better and lighter what most people carried just a few years ago. once you are on a trail, nobody worries about the name on the gear (so long as it is of high quality, which is what you have). The incessant back and forth worrying about which gear is better is exclusively an internet past time. quit worrying and go hiking.
    +1000, hike your hike and enjoy the flowers

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-16-2011
    Location
    On the trail
    Posts
    3,769
    Images
    3

    Default

    Why would it not be wise?

  6. #6
    Registered User AlyontheAT2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-25-2015
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Age
    28
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Just don't try to fill it up completely unless you want a really heavy pack (i.e. 40+ lbs)
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

    trail journal
    // blog

  7. #7

    Default

    do you have the new (2015) Baltoro? I have the previous model that is heavier and even more bombproof (if you can believe that...).

    I'll say this - it's not a lightweight but I doubt there is any more comfortable pack for me, and I looked plenty. because I often take kids with me, I end up carrying way more weight than is reasonable and this pack handles it perfectly. I've had it for two years and it still could pass for new.

    I doubt anyone will mistake this pack for a thru- or section- hiker pack, but if I was headed into the wilderness to stay for awhile, this is the pack I'd want.

    if you're young and in good shape, an extra pound is not going to make enough difference to matter. and if this is your first pack, eventually you'll refine your own needs, tastes, and style and maybe end up with something else.

    in any case, I wouldn't sweat it, you could have done a lot worse...

  8. #8

    Default

    The gear is of good branding. I would have encouraged a smaller volume pack and perhaps a cottage company brand, but Gregory makes great gear. I have their contour pack from a year or so ago. I haven't ever dealt with Marmot, I see them in the hipster brand group along with north face and Patagonia. Which I own both brands of.
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  9. #9
    Clueless Weekender
    Join Date
    04-10-2011
    Location
    Niskayuna, New York
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,863
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    The Baltoro is kind of heavy, but its suspension is top-notch and it's bombproof. Not a stupid puirchase at all, if it suits your hiking style.

    Ditto the Marmot Tungsten tent. It's heavy, but freestanding and quick and easy to pitch. I chose to go with a lighter and more fragile, trekking-pole-supported tent instead, because I hike with poles anyway and it was a couple of pounds lighter.

    The gear you mention is more on the 'traditionalist' than the 'ultralight' side of things. Nothing wrong with that if that's how you roll.. (If you don't know how you roll yet, you'll be replacing your gear at least once anyway, because everyone does as they learn what their style actually is and what they want the gear to do.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

  10. #10

    Default

    Definitely on the heavy side for both, but the tent was well priced.

  11. #11

    Default

    Solid choices. Use the gear in the field, decide what you like and don't like, and make improvements.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-12-2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    46
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Your pack and tent selection are just fine, it's your 2 burner coleman stove that you will catch grief for :-)

    Enjoy your hike, and remember to look back and laugh at all the things that drove you crazy in preparation!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I bought the Gregory Baltoro 65 pack and the Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent. Wise purchase or did they see me coming?


    Wise??


    No.


    The very fact you are looking for feedback means you are admitting to making an uninformed purchase, which is among the dumbest things that you can do. Regardless of suitability of the gear.

    What did you pay?
    What will you use it for?
    What does you total kit weigh?
    What are your needs, and desires?
    Do you accept the inherent drawbacks?
    Does pack fit you well?
    Have you tried it with your carried weight?


    All these things, and more, factor into a "wise" purchase.
    If you make an informed purchase, you wont seek others feedback on it, or have questions, you will know the answers before you buy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-10-2016 at 21:58.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-21-2009
    Location
    Tennesee
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Wise??


    No.


    The very fact you are looking for feedback means you are admitting to making an uninformed purchase, which is among the dumbest things that you can do. Regardless of suitability of the gear.

    What did you pay?
    What will you use it for?
    What does you total kit weigh?
    What are your needs, and desires?
    Do you accept the inherent drawbacks?
    Does pack fit you well?
    Have you tried it with your carried weight?


    All these things, and more, factor into a "wise" purchase.
    If you make an informed purchase, you wont seek others feedback on it, or have questions, you will know the answers before you buy.
    otoh, a person has to start somewhere. you cannot begin with the answers. that comes from experience. which you cannot gain without jumping into the fray. his gear is a wise purchase for someone just beginning as they represent generally well regarded manufacturers. Perhaps there ARE better options but that is purely a matter of opinion.

    the fact of the matter is, there is no "right" answer to the gear questions you or he ask. that is why everyone carries different packs/tents/hammocks/bags/ec.. If there was a right answer, we would all have the same things. I do agree with you on one thing - once you log enough miles you won't ask (nor care) for others opinions regarding the stuff you carry.

  15. #15
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    I still can't understand why anyone would ask for opinions after the purchase.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    otoh, a person has to start somewhere. you cannot begin with the answers. that comes from experience. which you cannot gain without jumping into the fray. his gear is a wise purchase for someone just beginning as they represent generally well regarded manufacturers. Perhaps there ARE better options but that is purely a matter of opinion.
    New people ask for feedback on gear all the time, or advice, before they buy. At least the ones not wanting to spend money twice do. Many prople get excited and make major purchases on impulse, and regret it and purchase new gear after only 0-300 miles. Especially packs and shoes. Then they dump heavier tents too.

    It might be great gear for a person, but buying it uninformed would still be stupid . like marrying a stranger because they are a member of opposite sex

    There is difference between a "wise" purchase, and a "good" one.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-11-2016 at 13:22.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-21-2009
    Location
    Tennesee
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I still can't understand why anyone would ask for opinions after the purchase.

    again, i think it is fairly simple and obvious....not enough experience to trust one's own opinion on the topic. This is not harsh or unfair, we were all in the same boat at one point. Just for grins and giggles, check out the thru hikers forum. If we all had a dime for every thread over there that starts with "please critique my gear list" we would all be rich.

  18. #18

    Default

    I don't have the experience of everyone in this forum, but the Baltoro 65 is a great pack. I strongly considered it, and the Osprey Aether in 60L and 70L. (I went with the Aether 70L as I got it for less than half-price new off eBay). My input is that backpacks are like many things -- golf clubs (driver vs. sandwedge vs putter), cars (sports car vs. pick-up hauler vs. family minivan), guitars (travel vs. acoustic, vs. electric axe), etc. No one pack will do everything and you will find yourself with multiple packs over time -- a day pack, an ultralight, a backcountry hauler, etc. I chose the Aether, knowing it will be a few years until I retire, at which time I will get an UL pack (with the then newest material). Until then, I will use the Aether for weekend trips with the family, week-long fishing/camping trips, and section hikes. The Baltoro will last a lifetime and will serve many purposes...good choice!

  19. #19

    Default

    Since I can't seem to edit my post, I will just add that for me, a thru-hike will only be feasible when I retire, so no need for me to go all UL in a big way until I have the time to do LR hiking. Until then, a more jack-of-all-trades pack is better.

  20. #20
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    again, i think it is fairly simple and obvious....not enough experience to trust one's own opinion on the topic. This is not harsh or unfair, we were all in the same boat at one point. Just for grins and giggles, check out the thru hikers forum. If we all had a dime for every thread over there that starts with "please critique my gear list" we would all be rich.
    Oops - I hit send. Usually I rant, then delete. I'm trying to keep my posts helpful, and follow Mom's edict: if you don't have anything nice/helpful to say, shut the @#$% up. I don't think that's exactly how she said it, but it was clear what she meant!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •