Journal Entries

Default weather in WA in sept,October

I have a May 5 start date and want to do an easy pace...which would have me finishing the trail early to mid October.

What kind of weather,temps,precipitation can I expect up in Oregon and Washington in sept and October? When does the snow start falling? THANK YOU
    some people never go crazy.
    what truly horrible lives
    they must lead. - Charles Bukowski

I can only comment up to the beginning of September in Washington, but not really beyond that. There were places when I was at 6,000+ altitude where it would dip into the mid to upper 40's (F) at night. Even at lower altitudes, I had to resort to the puffy at night and into early morning. Once I got moving, the morning quickly became delightful. Mid-day was in the 70's, so long as the sun was out.

Hope this helps.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

It maybe hard to predict if there are any lingering effects of the El Nino. You may not be able to trust historical data to give much of clue.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jingle jangle View Post
    I have a May 5 start date and want to do an easy pace...which would have me finishing the trail early to mid October.

What kind of weather,temps,precipitation can I expect up in Oregon and Washington in sept and October? When does the snow start falling? THANK YOU

It varies so much from year to year. You won't be able to get an accurate prediction from NOAA until June or so.

September is usually manageable, but things can get downright nasty in October at any given time. If you are falling behind you may consider flipping up and going SOBO. The last few hundred miles of the trail the elevation starts to rise. The North Cascades can be treacherous in October.

Quote Originally Posted by jingle jangle View Post
    Check out the online PCT Data Book. It will show you min/max temps and precip for every month and every trail section. There's plenty of other trail info goodness, too.

-postholer

++ New Posts ++