WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbie (to the AT) gear list

I have done numerous shakedown hikes and here is a gear list. I know the luxury items.....Kindle (am an avid reader but probably will be too tired in beginning), journal (could use my phone), pillow (could use clothes), and maybe extra batteries could all or mostly go. Probably will start with these and decide as I am on the trail.....maybe. Might add soap to this list. Going stove less. I don't cook at home so I cant see me cooking on the trail. Do have a JetBoil that could be sent to me if I change.

I am 54.....healthy..... and the AT has been a dream of mine for about 12 years now. In 2013 I lost 60lbs and started to realize physically I could do this. I am still 20lbs overweight but am very active. I live in FLA so it is hard to get ready for the mountains (grew up in WV). Have done the Citrus tract (rolling hills) in FL a few times and it gets easier on both my legs and feet every time. I walk regularly with my pack loaded on bridges that have elevation to try and get off flatland. Leaving April 14th. Not being use to the mountains I know enough not to over do it in the beginning and build miles as I go.

Any insights welcome

https://lighterpack.com/r/bg119q

If you're not used to elevation, the biggest thing is learning to walk downhill. Shorter strides downhill will help prevent shinsplints. It feels great picking up speed downhill, but you'll pay for it later if you aren't used to it.

As for your gear, it looks fairly good. I think most people carry about that sort of weight, they just aren't honest about all the little things they bring along.

I'd just choose a pack cover, or a pack liner. Shouldn't need both.

Images

I would add soap. Sanitizer does not kill Norovirus, which likes to make its annual hike on the trail too!

Toothbrush?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I'd just choose a pack cover, or a pack liner. Shouldn't need both.
    ^^^ This was my first thought too. Everything else looks pretty good.

How about dropping the AWOL guide, or just photocopying or scanning the pages you will actually need. I haven't done the AT (so definitely not great with advice there) but I hear this a lot.

I agree with journaling on your phone, but you could also drop the Kindle and use the Kindle app on your phone in order to read. A rechargeable battery device might be better for the weight to use than extra batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I agree with journaling on your phone, but you could also drop the Kindle and use the Kindle app on your phone in order to read. A rechargeable battery device might be better for the weight to use than extra batteries.
    +1 on using your phone for as many things as possible (camera, journal, music, books to read, GPS, AWOL guide in pdf form if he still has that option).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    +1 on using your phone for as many things as possible (camera, journal, music, books to read, GPS, AWOL guide in pdf form if he still has that option).
    All good advice, except I wouldn't depend on my phone for my guidebook. If it dies, you're without a guide. Just my personal preference tho.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Thanks guys for the advice. Will definitely look at using the phone for more applications.

Great advice on whiteblaze. I read it here then put it to use (if needed) during shakedown hikes. Thanks to all!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    All good advice, except I wouldn't depend on my phone for my guidebook. If it dies, you're without a guide. Just my personal preference tho.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not that big of a deal. There will be plenty of other people around to provide any info you need until you can get the phone charged back up or replaced if it is really dead.

Plus, he has a kindle that he could also put the guide on. When I do my thru in a year or two, I'm planning to carry both phone ("necessity") and tablet (luxury) in lieu of a physical guide. I'll have to monitor device usage and battery levels, but I think that's a fairly safe setup overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by admirald7s View Post
    Plus, he has a kindle that he could also put the guide on. When I do my thru in a year or two, I'm planning to carry both phone ("necessity") and tablet (luxury) in lieu of a physical guide. I'll have to monitor device usage and battery levels, but I think that's a fairly safe setup overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The electronic guide works well with the Kindle. Send it to your amazon email address as an attachment. You do not need to use "convert" in the subject line.

++ New Posts ++